Bankruptcy Credit Reference File Clean Up - Discussion

Options

Comments

• cancatsdance
    Options
    i actually called all of them and some allowed an email with the discharge attached.

template is in the sticky but as i said a phone call was much quicker
  • credit_crunch
    Options
    I am a little bit 'green' to this, but can anyone offer some advice?

My husband & I were both declared bankrupt in May 2015, and were discharged May 2016.

I am trying to rebuild our credit scores, and I have successfully got a credit card & phone contract but my husband doesn't have any credit yet. He had an application declined for a Tesco foundation card as they said he held the max amount of cards with them.

I am assuming they are referring to the last Tesco CC he had which was included in our bankruptcy.

Should I be writing to the various lenders asking them to update our credit files or do I need to wait until 6 years after discharge to do that?

Thanks in advance
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What is it that needs updating?
  • credit_crunch
    Options
    What is it that needs updating?

Our credit reports in general maybe?! I don't really know to be fully honest. We haven't really done much since our bankruptcy, and I figured I should start doing something sooner rather than later.

Or what can I do to start getting some credit for my husband?

We don't need the credit as such, I am just keen to start improving our credit scores.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It sounds like you need to look at your files and see what is on there.

Your husband could try someone like aqua or Vanquis. If he's rejected again, I would leave it for a few months.

Remember to ignore your credit scores - they're made up and entirely meaningless. Never focus on changing them. The data is what matters.
  • beryll55
    Options
    May I ask .. when writing to banks etc to ask them to clean up my entries / data .. is it ok just to send a copy email free confirmation letter I got by email from discharge enquiries or should I get the court certificate ... what do most people do ?
  • Degsyhall
    Degsyhall Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Dear Beryll55,

I am in the process of doing this myself. I sent letters to all the creditors and sent a paper copy of the discharge letter PDF and the original Bankruptcy order PDF. Both of these you can download from the online bankruptcy portal where you filled out the online forms (or from the email you get from the discharge enquiries).

I am still waiting to hear back from the creditors and I have yet to get another credit report so whether it worked or not I don't know yet.

BW

Derek
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    It can take a couple of months for credit reports to update, we usually advice leaving about 3 months after discharge then check all the agencies, it may be there is nothing for you to do...mine were all correct and needed nothing further from myself
  • beryll55
    Options
    Will the discharge notice (by email) be accepted by them though ?
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any document sent to the creditor is usually best done in one envelope and sent by post by recorded delivery - I never had much success emailing any of them TBH.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback