Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Options
    MT90 wrote: »
    I have only just got round to completing student loans for 2 year, however one of my parents income has changed. Does anyone know how it work. They ask for last years p60 which will show them in work. Surely they take into account income as it is currently? The people on the phone are less than informative.

If their income has decreased by 15% they can fill out a current year assessment form HERE
  • MT90
    MT90 Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    Options
    MrsManda wrote: »
    If their income has decreased by 15% they can fill out a current year assessment form HERE

Thanks.

I got a question regarding parental redundancy payment. The form asks for it, is it taken as income? and what happens if your unable to disclose the figure?
  • MyRubyRed
    MyRubyRed Posts: 941 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys
    Can any one help with my question? I work full time £36k per year. Hubby made redundant in Oct last year and currently on basic ESA £128 every two weeks. Daughter at Uni and flat sharing and earns about £200 per month at part time job. Up till now she's received her tuition fees and basic loan (both to be repaid). Is it likley that she's entitled to anything else?
    Any help appreciated
  • cirrus_cloud
    Options
    Hi,
    Just looking for a bit of help regarding my application. I have applied for both the loans and the grants and sent my application off in may. Towards the end of june i received a letter stating that my application hadnt been received thus far and that i should re-send my application however this was past the deadline. A couple of days later i then received a letter stating that i would only be assessed for the basic loans and i am now unsure what to do next. My application was sent off way before the deadline and i dont understand how they cannot have received it and ringing up has proved useless. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Just looking for a bit of help regarding my application. I have applied for both the loans and the grants and sent my application off in may. Towards the end of june i received a letter stating that my application hadnt been received thus far and that i should re-send my application however this was past the deadline. A couple of days later i then received a letter stating that i would only be assessed for the basic loans and i am now unsure what to do next. My application was sent off way before the deadline and i dont understand how they cannot have received it and ringing up has proved useless. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you send it recorded delivery?
  • cirrus_cloud
    Options
    Did you send it recorded delivery?

No unfortunately i didnt send it recorded delivery :( hindsight is such a good thing. I assumed that there wouldnt be any problems as they have received all of the other things ive sent.
  • Sazzarella
    Sazzarella Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right I seem to have a whole lot of problems!

Basically last year when half way through the year both mother and step dad were made redundant. I phoned SLC and they said they would send a form and if less than 15% earnings they would re-asses. Parents had both by this point got jobs but considerably less pay. I was then awarded another 2k over the remaining months of my course.
    When I came to apply for this year I've had a whole lot of hassle. After sending in their P60's the SLC said id been awarded this 2k wrongly and now they want it back, they said we had filled the form out wrong to which my parents did not think they did but SLC refuse to send us back a copy. There was a huge rigmaroll of them threatening to not pay my fees this year unless I paid it back in full but we have no come to a pay plan agreement. Anyways now my mother and stepdad have been made redundant again and I am receiving a small loan this year but am worried that my parents cant afford to give me any money and now im worried to contact the SLC to get reassed. Do they use income details a year behind? I dont want to be charged any more money as now im having to go back to uni while paying up the 2k :S
    Married 30/08/14 :heartpuls
  • MT90
    MT90 Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    Options
    Sazzarella wrote: »
    Right I seem to have a whole lot of problems!

Basically last year when half way through the year both mother and step dad were made redundant. I phoned SLC and they said they would send a form and if less than 15% earnings they would re-asses. Parents had both by this point got jobs but considerably less pay. I was then awarded another 2k over the remaining months of my course.
    When I came to apply for this year I've had a whole lot of hassle. After sending in their P60's the SLC said id been awarded this 2k wrongly and now they want it back, they said we had filled the form out wrong to which my parents did not think they did but SLC refuse to send us back a copy. There was a huge rigmaroll of them threatening to not pay my fees this year unless I paid it back in full but we have no come to a pay plan agreement. Anyways now my mother and stepdad have been made redundant again and I am receiving a small loan this year but am worried that my parents cant afford to give me any money and now im worried to contact the SLC to get reassed. Do they use income details a year behind? I dont want to be charged any more money as now im having to go back to uni while paying up the 2k :S

My understanding is they use your previous years income, and you have to send in a form to tell them that this years income will be different to last and they will take that into account.

As for them over paying, You need to escalate the issue, its not right that they refuse to send you a copy of the form. Treat it no different than a company telling you that you owe them money, but when asked to prove it, they don't.

Don't go guns blazing though, as it might cause more hassle, but ask to speak to a manager, and explain that you aren't going to pay unless they prove that you were over paid.
  • Livelovelaugh_2
    Options
    Hi SLCworker
    Help! My local student support office in the council have decided that there was an administrative error last year and that I should not have received the Parent's Learning Allowance of £1508. I am a parent and I believed when it was awarded to me, that I was eligible for it. I am about to start my third year at Uni and I have been given the option of paying the sum back now, or having it deferred to the end of the course, when I will have to pay it back in full or it will be added on to my student loan. I am extremely angry about this as I truly cannot afford to lose this money and I feel I am paying big time for someone elses error. I have of course queried it, but apparently in the small print accepting the loan, I agreed to repay any overpayments. Is there anything I can do to avoid this?
    Thanks
  • kar-kier
    kar-kier Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    My husband and I moved abroad 18 months ago. We both have 'new' student loans. I do not work, and my husband earns just enough to get us by.

The SLC have contacted him telling him he must start paying back the money; there is no way we can afford that.

What is the worst case scenrio? I KNOW they say they can take you to court, baliffs, etc, but has this actually ever happened to anyone who lives abroad?

Thanks

K
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport