Top up loan?

Options
Nige64
Nige64 Posts: 11 Forumite
Hi folks, I just can't get my head round this, I'm useless at this sort of thing...
About a year ago we borrowed £6000 against our house with the Nationwide, the repayment was £8000 over 60 months at approximately £133.50 per month. We did this to buy a half decent car as ours was on it's last legs. So far we have made via diect debit, 10 months payments.
Now.
The bank has been on to us to top the loan up to £10k with a total repayment of £10,800, which means the interest will be £800 instead of the £2000 interest we're paying on our original loan. They have said we need to repay £5231 out of the new loan leaving us with £4769 cash in hand.......but of course, we'll be starting the new loan from day one and will be paying about £180 per month for 60 months....=£10,800.
Our heads are going round trying to work out if we'd be better off taking the top up or leaving things as they are? The extra cash would be great as it can go towards an extension, but are we paying more interest? Which way do we go?
Any help much appreciated
Nige

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know it might not be a response you were looking for but are you aware of the implications of borrowing against your home.
  • Nige64
    Options
    Yes thanks, we knew about that and have a steady income which pays off the debt, I'm retired so the income (I hope) is guaranteed :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are the interest rates on the old and new loans?
  • Nige64
    Options
    Well the old one is a repayment of £8000, borrowing £6000, £2000 interest over 5 years,
    The new loan is repayment of £10,800 borrowing £10,000, interest of £800 over a new 5 years. To hand I don't have the exact percentage, but I'll go and find it out.

Edit. We're paying 12.7% at the moment, if we top the loan up it'll drop to 3.4%
  • Nige64
    Options
    Although I go brain dead when it comes to working things out, I think I've found the answer. At the moment we're paying £2k interest on this £6 loan. If we go for the new loan, we'll be paying £800 interest on a £10k loan, so if you add together the £800 + the money we've already repaid, £1330 that totals £2130 interest on a £10k loan, so it's only going to cost £130 more for the extra £4k.............

I think.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst you might "need" a new(er) car, you probably don't "need" and extension. If you want a new extension, then save up and pay for it from savings - the bank are trying to sell you something with this top up loan suggestion, so it's going to benefit them, and in my opinion, something that is beneficial for a bank isn't usually beneficial for the customer.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Are you sure you borrowed against your house for the car or was it unsecured? 12.7% does not sound like a secured loan rate and many banks have minimum loan amounts for secured £10k usually and yes 3.4% sounds like a secured loan rate.

Personally I would not put any loan for a car on a secured basis. Have you started the extension and how much is it going to cost? If you are in a position to pay £180 per month I would overpay the unsecured loan to get that paid off asap and then consider the extension. Paying £2k interest on a £6k loan is extortionate.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nige64 wrote: »
    Although I go brain dead when it comes to working things out, I think I've found the answer. At the moment we're paying £2k interest on this £6 loan. If we go for the new loan, we'll be paying £800 interest on a £10k loan, so if you add together the £800 + the money we've already repaid, £1330 that totals £2130 interest on a £10k loan, so it's only going to cost £130 more for the extra £4k.............

I think.

Just to play devil's advocate and give you another thought.

You won't have £10k........you'll have £4769 and a car that's a year older ;)

You will then be resetting the clock to now to begin 5 yrs of payments.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Options
    How about taking the new loan to replace the old, then paying about half of it back almost immediately?

Or just ask for a pro rata smaller one in the first place.
  • Carrben01
    Options
    I have a loan with Nationwide and get a lot of emails about top ups, looking at the email it doesn’t state I am guaranteed to get the advertised rate, see below quote from the email:

"Mr ****, as you already have a loan with Nationwide we may be able to lend you £10,000.00 at 4.6% APR [FONT=&quot]if you apply before 20 October 2016[/FONT].

This example is tailored to you personally but if you want to borrow more or less, or your circumstances change the rate may be different."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure