PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I had the LO bit of stew mixed in tin of the beef & veg soup, actually turned out very filling and tasty

May have HM yoghurt & honey later if space permits
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2018 at 7:32PM
    Options
    Well - got the tempeh/pak choi/etc/etc dish cooking up as we speak.

On getting the tempeh out of the freezer - I didnt find it looks like brains. It looks like a clump of beans to me. Did spot a little bit of black on part of it and promptly looked-up to see what that meant (after checking out the other packet - which hasnt got any). Google's verdict = not a problem/indeed it's a Good Sign (as in well fermented or summat).

I still chopped those bits off I admit.

Right - let's see what it tastes like. There's a sort of yeasty type smell to the tempeh itself. The dish as a whole looks reasonably colourful. So it's down to the Taste Test now....

EDIT; Hmmm....the tempeh has a somewhat yeasty-ish type taste as well. Not a strong type taste and "the jury is out" a bit at the moment as to what I think about it. Seems to be a sort of equivalent situation to tofu - in that it probably takes on the taste somewhat of what it's with. At the moment - I feel I'm not going to chuck it on the one hand or rush for it eagerly on the other hand.

Will have to think what my next cooking experiment will be now. I have the feeling that a couple more winters in a part of the country with worse winter weather than I'm used to and less to Go Out To ditto on the other hand means I should be a gourmet cook in this type of food by the time a couple more winters have passed living in this area.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't want to grass anybody up .... but I know somebody who popped through to the kitchen 10 minutes ago and whipped up just one huge dumpling :) Nothing else, just a fat dumpling ....

Nom!
    :rotfl::rotfl:

It's definitely dumpling weather, wish I was having stew now.

MTSTM - I've never tried tempeh can't say it appeals that much so interested in how you find it.:)

Farway - I think the C&O pie recipe would make great pastys

Holly - I've not had lasagne for ages. I'm roasting a tray of veg later some for tonight with the pork & pitta and some I was planning to use with veggie pasta tomorrow. I think it mught just get used in lasagne tomorrow instead.

It's been a lovely day here but boy is it cold. My Dad came lunch and seemed to really enjoy the soup and sardine pate. He seems to enjoy eating away from his home these days much better at lunchtime than later in the day. He does like to eat and go though - no lingering for a cuppa and a chat afterwards. His comfy recliner was definitely beckoning:D.

I managed a short walk today which felt like a huge achievement but boy was I shaky and unsteady afterwards. But I enjoyed it even if I did only manage 1400 steps, it was good get out in the fresh (very blinking fresh) air. The temperature is due to drop to -5C or so tonight and I think it's well on it's way already as despite decent layers of clothes I've just had to turn the heating up a notch. :eek: We're back on snow alert from tomorrow until Friday.....:(
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Well - I don't think I shall be buying tempeh again I have a feeling. I've also got a feeling I'll be picking it out of the leftovers for tomorrow and binning the other packet I have in the freezer (as can't think of anyone nearby that might fancy it).

Oh well - you don't know till you try.

It has been bitter today and the first bit of snow since I moved here - there was snow all round the area. Fortunately, it hasnt settled.

Don't know how old your father is caron? I'm imagining he must be a pretty similar agegroup to my own father and by now I think he must be spending the vast majority of his time sleeping and is pretty much only awake for mealtimes these days.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well - I don't think I shall be buying tempeh again I have a feeling. I've also got a feeling I'll be picking it out of the leftovers for tomorrow and binning the other packet I have in the freezer (as can't think of anyone nearby that might fancy it).

Oh well - you don't know till you try.

It has been bitter today and the first bit of snow since I moved here - there was snow all round the area. Fortunately, it hasnt settled.

Don't know how old your father is caron? I'm imagining he must be a pretty similar agegroup to my own father and by now I think he must be spending the vast majority of his time sleeping and is pretty much only awake for mealtimes these days.
    Thanks for the feedback re the tempeh - I shan't be adding it to my "to try" list!

My Dad's not old- he turns 76 in March but has multiple health issues stemming in the main from damage a childhood bout of rhuematic fever did to his heart & kidneys which only became apparent in early middle age and prostate cancer in his 60s. He's also got unstable colitis, is an insulin dependant diabetic and has a stoma (he had to have his bladder removed). Consequently he seems older than he is but he's mentally still very sharp. He has a lot of pain as he developed diabetis during chemo/radiotherapy so it was masked by side effects from these and did quite a bit of nerve damage to his legs/feet before it got brought under control. He does well considering and still enjoys life and getting out and about but does like the comfort of his own space and comfy recliner:).
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    McCulloch - still feeling a bit puzzled by you commenting that the cookbook that's coming out (very belatedly) later this year by A Girl Called Jack contains a recipe with crab in?

The puzzlement being as to whether I'm thinking of the same book as you were reviewing? - as I thought the (very belated) "Cooking on a Bootstrap" book was going to be a vegan one.

Have I got that wrong? Is "Cooking on a Bootstrap" vegan and it's some other cookbook of hers that you've been reviewing?

(I know if it's supposed to be and isn't - then she wouldnt be the first cookbook writer to say a cookbook was vegetarian or vegan and the next thing you know you spot recipe/s in it that most definitely arent so). Thinking of a cookbook (of a slightly older era) that said it was vegetarian on the front and I was going through it counting the number of recipes that included fish in them.

Cooking on a Bootstrap has a section marked 'Contraband', literally a handful of pages, page 148-159, containing a few meat and fish recipes, and there are a few others scattered through the book, the crab paste recipe included. However, you could probably do a veggie or vegan version of just about all of them.
    Her vegan-without-alteration recipes are marked with a V, and there are a lot of them
    Some examples of vegan recipes.
    Five Minute Bread
    Cakey Goodness Bread
    Gramcake
    One Ingredient Mushroom Soup
    Pappa Al Pomodoro
    Green Rice
    Black Bean Tarkari
    Tarka Daal
    ..and others!

I got interrupted during the above post by my Amazon Pantry order arriving. Great stuff, only ordered 24 hours earlier and all there.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    evening all :)

I've just been googling tempah, I'm trying to eat a lot more vegetarian meals but I haven't experimented yet with meat alternatives such as quorn etc, I probably should even if only to increase my calorie intake, in the 3 months I've been eating cleaner I've lost 12lb and I really didn't want to lose any weight just be healthier :o
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Watching this Back in Time for Tea programme. BBC2

Oh Lord they're bad... teenage girls didn't know how to peel an onion.
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Watching this Back in Time for Tea programme. BBC2

Oh Lord they're bad... teenage girls didn't know how to peel an onion.

Surely you can see past this, they pick the biggest biffs they can to put on the TV to shock people.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love back in time :)

Least this family the mother can use a can opener and didn't faint clean away when presented with a rabbit :)

The pie recipe does indeed make for pasties. That's how I found it. I used to adore Greggs cheese and onion pasties and it was one of the things I really missed moving here. I saw Simon make that on tv, found the recipe, and now Greggs has made it here, I no longer like their pasties lol

Bit of a weird tea tonight. Popped into M&S as I was in town and noticed they had a new range of food out. Anyways there was Prawn laska , raw prawns, coriander and the sauce, reduced from silly amount to 80p so into the basket, along with some spare ribs for 40p. I had rice and spring rolls at home

Now it wasn't 'bad ' but it weren't good either. I know I only paid 40p but 3 pieces of rib just 2 inches long and one piece of bare bone!! I'd be raging if I'd paid the £3+ it was originally priced at

The laska whilst had plenty of prawn was tasteless

Oh well , serves me right for being seduced by yellow sticker. Back to scratch cooking tomorrow
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback