PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I love back in time :)

Least this family the mother can use a can opener and didn't faint clean away when presented with a rabbit :)

The pie recipe does indeed make for pasties. That's how I found it. I used to adore Greggs cheese and onion pasties and it was one of the things I really missed moving here. I saw Simon make that on tv, found the recipe, and now Greggs has made it here, I no longer like their pasties lol

Bit of a weird tea tonight. Popped into M&S as I was in town and noticed they had a new range of food out. Anyways there was Prawn laska , raw prawns, coriander and the sauce, reduced from silly amount to 80p so into the basket, along with some spare ribs for 40p. I had rice and spring rolls at home

Now it wasn't 'bad ' but it weren't good either. I know I only paid 40p but 3 pieces of rib just 2 inches long and one piece of bare bone!! I'd be raging if I'd paid the £3+ it was originally priced at

The laska whilst had plenty of prawn was tasteless

Oh well , serves me right for being seduced by yellow sticker. Back to scratch cooking tomorrow
    Love the "back in time" too:)

I think M&S food has lost it's "edge" recently, it used be a good notch above SMs but I think they have lost some of the quality but kept the prices while others have upped their game a good bit. It's a shame as food from M&S used be something I very much saw as a real treat.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spirit congratulations, a lovely new life how wonderful. Sorry you're having a hard time with sil.
    Farway that pie looks great.
    I gave dgson most of the meat in the hotpot!! 1 portion went in the freezer. He also asked for tortilla crisp with cheese on, so we had that with the hotpot, I had beetroot on mine. Ate some more of the choc buttons I opened the other day and had with a cuppa.

My cheese pie turned out nice too, even with the ood pastry, I will try again but use Lancashire cheese it might be a bit tastier. I had half of it for lunch today, I've also had 2 satsumas.
    Tea time I had fish fingers and cheese ,with lettuce on gf seeded brown bread spread with garlic mayo and ketchup. Then a whipped yogurt with seeds, finished of the bag of big buttons from yesterday.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pigsy just wolfed down a bread roll and margarine :)

Didn't need it .... but we all know how that works out.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Very frosty and cold here this morning but lovely and sunny. Hopefully I can get my wheels aired in a bit and I must sweep under my bed as the sunshine has revealed rather a lot of hair and stoor.:o
    Toast & sardine pate for breakfast and lunch will be a "use it up" of the remaining soup and a bacon & coleslaw sarnie. I've some ricotta defrosting so plan to make a spinach & ricotta lasagne tonight using up the rest of the veggies I roasted last night. I've a portion of garlic bread in the freezer which I suspect may get liberated as well. While the oven is on I plan to bake a potato & mushroom gratin for tomorrow.
    I'm feeling very efficient food wise today though in theory rather than practice as apart from defrosting the ricotta I've not actually made any of it yet:rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll have a toastie in a bit.
    Got 2 slices of bread out, defrosting. Removed sausages from freezer, defrosting.

When I CBA I'll get round to eating :)

Later on ..... stew .... and compulsory dumplings.
  • caronc
    edited 7 February 2018 at 12:23PM
    Options
    I spoke too soon re the sunshine, I popped for a shower and when I came out (and I wasn't long) it had dulled over and now it's drizzling:(. Doubt I'll be straying very far if it stays like this, just back from [STRIKE]walking[/STRIKE] skating to the bin and it's very icy underfoot.:eek:
    Wort - glad your pie worked out ok:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Up early enough to make a pot of tea, with Gin marmalade on toast for breakfast

Sunny but cold and windy, stayed in, feeling cold today and have left the CH on, I wonder if I am coming down with something as I feel hungry as well?

Caronc, Stoor, a new word to me, had a search and I think I get the gist of it. I'll try and chuck it into a conversation at some time

Wort , cheese pie, I was thinking the opposite after mine, use something other than Lancashire. Maybe the ideal would be mixed cheeses? Once upon a time you could buy cheese left overs / odd shapes in SMs, like bacon bits or smoked salmon bits. But I looked and that seems to have vanished from the shelves.
    Maybe some enterprising SM exec is reading this and next thing is "Cheese pie mix" on sale at inflated prices, like fish pie mix

Lunch is same as yesterday, BF ham & salad sarnie
    Dinner will be LO C & O pie, with last of the tin of Baked beans

Wish I had biscuits in the house, I fancy one right now!!
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    edited 7 February 2018 at 12:23PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

Caronc, Stoor, a new word to me, had a search and I think I get the gist of it. I'll try and chuck it into a conversation at some time
    Whoops sorry - I didn't realise this wasn't a UK wide word :o. "Stoor" is dust and general debris.;)
    Used in lots of ways round here "don't rattle your stoor" being a favourite - means getting into a tizz/needlessly upset or angry.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Nope not UK wide - it's the first time I've had that word "stoor" and I was wondering what it meant - though had the general idea in the context. We'll forgive 'ee m'dear LOL.

Though I occasionally chuck in a West Country word or phrase and tend to assume people know it - so "clidgy" or "back along" for instance - which, to my mind, describe perfectly what I'm on about.
    "Clidgy" = sorta sticky. "Back along" is useful for "It was a while back - I'm not sure exactly how long - but it wasnt last week for instance".

'Tis fine by me with the odd word - what annoys me is when whole phrases get used in a different language and it's been done (I'm told) in order to "encourage" people to learn it:cool: and never an apology if one doesnt understand it....:cool:.

Today's lunch (also from current cookbook) is going to be french toast with berry drizzle. Think it's a pretty safe bet I'll like that:).

Dinner will be the leftover dish from yesterday (minus the bit I'm not that keen on then.....).
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My timings are all to pot today! 'Brunch' was toasted Burgen bread with some hard boiled egg mashed up with seasoning and a bit of olive oil.
    Mid afternoon I'll have the rest of the stew blended as a hearty soup (not much meat in this portion) and early evening will have either sea bass or hake with some frozen peas. Fresh fish is my fortnightly treat from the travelling fishmonger. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback