Do your own wedding flowers

Options

Comments

• paddingtondoo
    paddingtondoo Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BoingBoing wrote: »
    Hi, I'm making my flowers on thursday next week!!!! Just ordered some rather gorgeous roses from M&S for buttonholes (found great video how-to's on youtube) and I'm seeing a woman from the Womens Institute tomorrow about her supplying sweetpeas from her garden for the bridesmaids.

I talked to my local florist and she sold me some thin wire, florist's tape, and bear grass at a bargain price of £1 lol.

I did get a quote from another florist for £95 for 6 buttonholes, my flowers and 3 bridesmaids. by doing this myself I'm spending £60 and will have enough left over for the tables too :)

Did you order your roses in store? We had a quote for white roses from our local florist for £1.50 each :eek: and I nearly passed out :o
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended :p
  • Elizabeth_739
    Options
    Well the reason I decided to do my own was because I had a quotation from a girl who works from home which I thought would be more reasonable than a high street florist. For a posy of roses and freisias, 9 buttonholes and a few flowers for the top of the cake - I was quoted £202 !!! I nearly fell over.
  • loulabelle44_2
    Options
    Hmm. Hearing some of the prices makes me think about doing my own again. LOL

I really love gerberas, but I think they might be more difficult to source and to work with. Perhaps something more robust like roses would be easier.

MIL2B is in the WI - perhaps she might know someone who is a dab hand with flowers...
  • Krystaltips
    Krystaltips Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Because I've chosen cheap flowers (Spider crysanthemum) I'm getting
    2 bouquets (1 Bridal, 1 Bridesmaid)
    4 corsages (although MIL's is now going to SIL2B seeing as MIL is no longer invited)
    9 Buttonholes inc a fancy 1 for the groom

For £94 which I don't think is too bad, probably would of been cheaper to do them myself but I really don't want the hassle the day before and we're getting married early so going to be enough running around to be done on the day without worrying about flower arranging!
    A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...
    Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.

• shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    A scented sprig with a ribbon would be nice.M&S have a massive pot of lavender at £9.99,you would get a few bunches out of that for a girls country style bouquet and can add marjoram and rosemary etc too.Cut them on the day so they dont wilt.A ribbon round a loose bunch is very pretty and the scent is divine for a summer wedding.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • Miss_Communicate
    Options
    Well I have now had the genius idea of getting a local floral arts society to help me out.
    They are going to charge me about £20odd quid to make my buttonholes and bouquet and I am getting all the flowers I need for venue and bouquet for £100 inc vat and delivery.

This way I get the black baccarra rose bouquet i want for about £35 (inc cost of roses) instead of £70 I was quoted. (get a lot more roses in it!)
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    Well I have now had the genius idea of getting a local floral arts society to help me out.
    They are going to charge me about £20odd quid to make my buttonholes and bouquet and I am getting all the flowers I need for venue and bouquet for £100 inc vat and delivery.

This way I get the black baccarra rose bouquet i want for about £35 (inc cost of roses) instead of £70 I was quoted. (get a lot more roses in it!)

Fantastic!Well done you for coming up with such a cost cutting idea.And you get them made for you too at a DIY price.I will check out this possibility in my area too.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • BoingBoing_2
    BoingBoing_2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you order your roses in store? We had a quote for white roses from our local florist for £1.50 each :eek: and I nearly passed out :o

No, I ordered on the M&S website, there were 2 reviews on the roses and both were fantastic! Popped into my local store today and the roses they had there, whilst not the same as I ordered, were gorgeous so I'm happy with what I ordered they should be amazing!

The lovely lady at the Womens Institute will have lots of lovely fragrant sweet peas for me to collect first thing Friday too :)
  • Krystaltips
    Krystaltips Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm... I smell spam...
    A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...
    Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.

• TracenJon
    Options
    Am going for silk for bouquet as I want ot keep memento. Have found someone local who does good fake bouquets and you don't notice the differennce.

My aunty's doing flowers for reception for me which is saving loads and i've asked vicar if the church florist will colour coordinate which he's said they'll do!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure