Working with a young family

Options
12346»

Comments

• DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    betti911 wrote: »
    Can you adjust your routine to put your little one to bed later? My hubby works similar hours and our baby goes to bed at 9ish to allow daddy to help with the bath etc

This is what we did. My husband and I both worked full time when the baby was born. We used to put our son to bed between 9pm and 9:30pm. He was at the childminder's all day and I didn't mind if he slept there as long as I got to play with him.

A friend of my husband's (also an accoutant) used to start at 10am some days. This way he could help with breakfast time and then drop his daughter at nursery. The nursery was opposite his work, so he used to spend his lunchbreak there too. His daughter was only in the nursery 3 days as his wife worked part time.
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    I just wanted to say how refreshing this thread is. As a women I felt huge pressure to return to work full time. This was mainly from other mums saying my children were missing out by not going to nursery and would do badly at school as they would be behind. With the government giving more nursery hours to ever younger children, again to get parents working as much as possible. I was starting to wonder why people have children.

Great that parents do what to spend time with their kids.
  • Lee_Howden
    Options
    I just wanted to say how refreshing this thread is. As a women I felt huge pressure to return to work full time. This was mainly from other mums saying my children were missing out by not going to nursery and would do badly at school as they would be behind. With the government giving more nursery hours to ever younger children, again to get parents working as much as possible. I was starting to wonder why people have children.

Great that parents do what to spend time with their kids.

Really? I've always been made to feel guilty about either of us working full-time having childcare/family look after our daughter! People often comment that we'll not have a proper relationship with her :-(
    Apparently I am the original tight fisted Yorkshire Man!!
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    Lee_Howden wrote: »
    Really? I've always been made to feel guilty about either of us working full-time having childcare/family look after our daughter! People often comment that we'll not have a proper relationship with her :-(

I wonder if woman get criticism for not working and men get it for working. Another double standard.

I worked full time until my second son was born, at this point I quit and became a stay at home mum. I received a lot negativity for this, mainly people telling me that my children were missing out in interacting with other children at nursery. I was also told my children would be behind when they started school. Complete rubbish.

You end up learning to smile politely and then ignore what you are being told!
  • ben_m_g
    ben_m_g Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party but here goes.

I am in the same position, leaving work at 5pm at the earliest, an hour and a half commute DD in bed for 7pm.

Money is good and helps with the bills no end, but i hardly see here.

I am looking for alternative work that means i have a more regulatr schedule. when seh was very young i worked for a small family run office that would be very supportive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure