Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• assassin112
    Options
    I use sharebuilder and they charge 1.50 for each trade as well as stamp duty but the only downside is that you have to select a date for your investment. Shares could rise or fall on that day..........................
  • MacsReturns
    MacsReturns Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    johnconnor wrote: »
    I use sharebuilder and they charge 1.50 for each trade as well as stamp duty but the only downside is that you have to select a date for your investment. Shares could rise or fall on that day..........................

This is very true, but you can leave your final decision to the day before to narrow the risk a bit. Then I worked out that the cheapest 'instant' trades cost £10, so you will save £8.50 per trade. If you're putting in small amounts like £100 you'd need an intra-day swing of 8.5% to eat that saving. Doesn't happen very often... :beer:

But if you're putting in £1000 at a time, you may be better off trying to time it with an instant trade. (Though read all the warnings about market timing first ;) )
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone - Thoreau
  • MikeR71
    MikeR71 Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    Options
    I am relatively new to share dealing, so can someone tell me why I shouldn't just contact my bank and have them broker it for me?

Also, what do people think of BP shares now? They are going to rise surely, and a better long term investment than ISAs under the current low interest rates.
  • king100
    king100 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    MikeR71 wrote: »
    I am relatively new to share dealing, so can someone tell me why I shouldn't just contact my bank and have them broker it for me?

Also, what do people think of BP shares now? They are going to rise surely, and a better long term investment than ISAs under the current low interest rates.

I need to a recommendation of a broker prefer online, just want to buy BP shares and thats it.

Anyone?
    I all have learnt is from others on many sites.
    Seek legal help if unsure.
    Dont pay Private Parking tickets - they are mere invoices.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • MikeR71
    Options
    BP is trading at £430 per share at the moment! Rather a lot, no?
  • Baz_2
    Baz_2 Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    BP is trading at £430 per share at the moment! Rather a lot, no?

That's £4.30 not £430.
  • MikeR71
    Options
    I thought so but it said £430.20p
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought so but it said £430.20p

Its .2 of a pence at the end. you dont need to bother with the point of a pence on the end really.
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • halight
    Options

I got into BP at £3.22 But i still think they are a buy at the moment.
    I read that if you were to break up the company and sell everything off the you would get about £4.00 a share.(dont know if this is true as iv not done the math) They are only just above taht price now.
    If you are thinking of buying and holding for a long time then they are worth a punt but rememember they will have some very big bills and fines to pay so the price could still drop from where it is now.

Look into the company find out all that you can about it then decide if YOU think its worth a buy
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • halight
    Options
    the best stock picks, discovered on the hottest newsletter of 2010. Acknowledged by the experts! Copy and paste this link in your browser - [stockpicksfree.info]

spam!!!!!!!
    Spam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback