Get out of your Orange contract

Options

Comments

• NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hymenaios wrote: »
    hi there, does anyone know if orange taking money repeatedly out of a bank account for a bill thats already been paid constitute as grounds to terminate a contract on?
    You would have good grounds to cancel the direct debit and insist on another payment method without a surcharge. I've done this with plenty of suppliers who insist on direct debits but are incapable of abiding by the Direct Debit Guarantee.
  • hymenaios
    Options
    cheers for the info. amazes me what these guys get away with.
  • kelly0072
    Options
    pls pls pls can anyone help me with getting out of my orange mobile contract i have been with orange for 10yrs the last 2 yrs i have had no end of trouble with there handsets the last one was motorola dext i had it for 2mth in that 2mth i had 10 handsets faults after faults then yesterday there sent me another handset htc desire which i had 2yrs ago so ive phoned orange n explained i have had this handset 2yrs ago n had no end of problems with it freezing on me asked for a different handset they replyed i accepted the handset so there is nothing i can do there must be something i can do about changing this handset pls pls pls can someone advice me on what i can do thanks kelly...............
  • Htokelove
    Options
    hymenaios wrote: »
    hi there, does anyone know if orange taking money repeatedly out of a bank account for a bill thats already been paid constitute as grounds to terminate a contract on?

Im in the same kind off situation, orange over charged me so i rang, cancelled my direct debit before the money came out and paid the right bill there and then. They then rang and said i could re set the direct debit up and was guaranteed it would not come out. but when i checked my bank they had took the original amount out aswell as the money i paid over the phone, this sent me overdrawn so as you can imagine i was not happy! luckily i borrowed money to pay into the account so my charges for being overdrawn didnt increase. orange said they would credit my account including the overdrawn charges. This was meant to have be done yesterday but still hasnt so now just before christmas i am in debt and orange are not being helpful or attempting to sort it... i have been searching the terms and conditions trying to find ground to leave... can anyone help?! please!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Call your bank and ask them to refund the money wrongly taken under the DD guarantee. They have to do this immediately.
    http://www.bacs.co.uk/bacs/businesses/directdebit/collecting/pages/customersrights.aspx

If Orange credit the same money to your Orange account ask them to debit this money back.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    You may find the DD guarantee will not cover you, as you agreed to 'Unspecified Amounts on unspecified dates' - as long as they provided paperwork 5 days before the debit (ideally, but usually on the same day!) there will have been to breach - but they may allow a reversal as a one-off. but this will incure a failled DD charge at the other end, so it STILL costs you.

Direct debits never benefit the consumer who has little money - only those who have residual amounts at the month end in their bank account will rarely be caught out. Out of principle, I do not operate any accounts with a DD, it costs me slightly more, but I sleep better.
  • sammyvine
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    You may find the DD guarantee will not cover you, as you agreed to 'Unspecified Amounts on unspecified dates' - as long as they provided paperwork 5 days before the debit (ideally, but usually on the same day!) there will have been to breach - but they may allow a reversal as a one-off. but this will incure a failled DD charge at the other end, so it STILL costs you.

Direct debits never benefit the consumer who has little money - only those who have residual amounts at the month end in their bank account will rarely be caught out. Out of principle, I do not operate any accounts with a DD, it costs me slightly more, but I sleep better.

Then how do you pay your contracts? All of them say you have to pay by DD unless you are on PAYG
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 27 November 2011 at 3:31PM
    Options
    sammyvine wrote: »
    ...All of them say you have to pay by DD
    This is incorrect. Like for any utilities bills there are other ways to pay although they can trigger extra charges. Debit card, bank transfer, probably even a cheque.
  • sammyvine
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    This is incorrect. Like for any utilities bills there are other ways to pay although they can trigger extra charges.

Yeah but is it worth it.

Just read up on it and Orange charge £3.58 to pay through bill/bank.
  • Shroom1708
    Options
    Orange are putting up the price of my contract as of January 2012, I signed a contract at a specific price, and still have about 15 months left so can I now cancel my contract on the grounds that I did not agree to this price increase?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure