kind of strange one.. ombudsman and bank

Options
okay really strange one here.

have had to replies from the ombudsman where i have actually had to point out the illogical statement he provided.

one -- the bank never set the customer up for a text alert service -- customer physically provides proof of text messages received from the bank.
two -- ombudsman redefines his statement to say frequency of alerts was not set instead of the text alert service-- customer again shows that frequency is set within the terms and conditions of a page.

long short -- woman in hospital -- bank charges come exceeding the 50 pound cap -- forces account into negative value -- customer phones -- receives 2 hour plus wait then gets falsely told information -- panic sets in among other things as child at 1 year old and a 10 year old in house aswell -- locked out of the account for 42 hours -- told contact back on the Monday -- customer had to contact the bank on the Monday to ensure this was done and get money out for essentials -- complaint issued on the 17th including the before mentioned. locked out of the account. cant get money out or transfer from savings to get money out. charge applied on Saturday evening after 5pm. customer had text alert service set up within the same 2 hour call that would send her a message every morning informing her until Monday that the account was negative and under hold.-- complaint final response set days afterwards-contact into the complaints resulted in manager talking nonsense.-- enter ombudsman

now heres a stickler.
took the ombudsman 28 days to ask why they needed to get the information from the call on the 11th -- only references listening to 2 calls not the one where the complaint was set days after the event.(4 call total)-- says to the consumer that they didn't get a text service alert system set up -- proven wrong as they did and provided proof-- said the frequency at which the texts would come was not set -- again proven by terms and conditions this was already a pre determined series of texts that would arrive for a woman who was distraught at the time as needed items . that they would be informed in the morning between the hours of 8 am and 9 am if their account went below the 20 value. which it was after the series of charges.-- referenced in his response that he has applied a new amount as re numeration for the customer for the bank charges being applied and not addressed by the customer or bank -- problem is that again lady provided proof that this was addressed by the bank and as the charges were set from before the date they stood for certain ones. still exceeded the 50 limit.(night of the 2 hour phonecall hold).

there is a few more things the ombudsman hasn't done and proof is their for it.
really don't know how to point out the adjudicator or that has not even listened to a phonecall or even actually listened to one of them. atleast that is how I can read it.

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To get some responses you need to be more concise.

What are the actual issues, was there restriction on accessing money by the custimer which led to hardship or inconvenience, charges levied or soemthing else?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your post is really difficult to understand. I read it as the person is unhappy with the amount of money being offered as compensation ?
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    I only hope your letters & contact with the bank & the Ombudsman were
    a lot more concise.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What caused the bank charges?
    When were the caused? This isn't necessarily going to be the same they debited.
    When did they debit?
    Is this the first time charges have been applied to the account?

What was the final response from the bank regarding the complaint logged?

A few more details will help us all decipher what is going on so we can provide a more tailored response to a somewhat confusing account of events.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • zaphob_beeblebrox
    zaphob_beeblebrox Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2017 at 2:17PM
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    What caused the bank charges?
    When were the caused? This isn't necessarily going to be the same they debited.
    When did they debit?
    Is this the first time charges have been applied to the account?

What was the final response from the bank regarding the complaint logged?

A few more details will help us all decipher what is going on so we can provide a more tailored response to a somewhat confusing account of events.

bank charges were for a set of missed payments including two she had paid on that day which was strange including unarranged overdraft charges for this which was strange.

the charges were applied to the account on the Saturday evening at 5pm which I thought was strange as nationwide doesn't generally do business on a Saturday. but the charges were for july she knows about the new 50 cap on charges and wasnt calling just in regards to that

she contacted at 10.30 in the evening on Saturday and was answered by nationwide after 1 am on sunday the 13th of august. in the call she was asking why the charges were after 5pm as she had debited money out her account at 3pm and still had money in the account.
    they informed that the statement as issued to her which she hasn't received or seen yet to this day. but we have august statement and a part of September ?
    if she had the charges when the bank was open she could have had money put in to cover the weekend with kids.

in the call the advisor set her up for a text alert service to inform her of account -- great idea sure but at that time no I don't think so as she had a negative value on her account and no way of transferring from her savings to the account. contact was to see if they can assist as the bank closed on sunday. to this day the dispute isn't about the charges as she was in hospital and provided proof of this with apt and discharge letters.

in the call she was obviously phoning about a negative and then the wait and having a customer service advisor who informed her she had waited 47 minutes in total. she provided picture evidence of 2 hours on the phone. the call with nationwide was minutes pretty much -- sorry I cant post links as I have some of the information uploaded already--

when Monday came after 2 days of texts telling her negative 60 pounds from her account at 8 am ish - she had to call to get them to fix part of this. she didn't dispute charges she did dispute the ones she had paid and shown proof they were debited. they removed all the charges and took off the text alert service in the same call. she was then advised a customer complaints team was calling.

on the 17th of august she had to call them back to speak to whoever was in the customer complaints department. she raised a complaint regarding the text service. the charges after 5pm and not in the morning which she could have fixed at that point during afternoon.
    the wait on hold and the way the call was handled especially the wait of 47 minutes.
    and the fact she was told she was getting contacted back.

in the response from the bank they say that we understand that the wait was long the 2 hours you imply and the 43 minutes delay we confirm it was a unfortunate wait.
    they don't actually go further than that at all in the response. they state about the service being helpful and yes sure we get that the messages in the morning and afternoon should you miss the morning is great. but when they knew she was below 20 the system would send her messages telling her this so at that time to use it, maybe not.
    this was sent on the 21st offering her 50 pounds. she hasn't accepted that I may add doesn't want money. just to see that was not a good thing to do at that time.

there stance stands from the above from the day of the 30 I believe Thursday.

she contacts the ombudsman and he has written back two days ago with conflicting statements have links cant post them.
    he says she wasn't signed up for the text service at all and she had to prove to the ombudsman she was as she has the texts.
    he says the frequency at which it gets sent wasn't signed instead of the alerts. she had to provide the ombudsman with a link that shows the page and its in there own terms and conditions.
    so kind of a strange one here.
    she has been offered more compensation from the bank but has still declined although 50 was put in her account as sundries ?

there is a few more parts and I feel like a lots been left out I am sorry if I wrote this out properly I would be here all week so please don't be harsh here. I am at a loss on what to do as I can physically show he either didn't listen to a phone call or he wasn't actually given it one or the other. as she cancelled the text alert service on the Monday the 14th and in the ombudsman response he says if she is unhappy with the service she should cancel it now ?
  • zaphob_beeblebrox
    edited 22 October 2017 at 2:32PM
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    To get some responses you need to be more concise.

What are the actual issues, was there restriction on accessing money by the custimer which led to hardship or inconvenience, charges levied or soemthing else?

yes she couldn't transfer from her savings to her account and they in customer couldn't assist her here either.

charges were for july period 2017. the charges were applied on the 12 of august at 1700 odd hours. the woman found out about the charges when trying to buy nappies and then contacted. the charges were refunded for ones she had paid and the others were removed as a goodwill gesture. this was done on the Monday morning after she had to contact them after 10 am. first time she ever had charges returned as far as known.
  • zaphob_beeblebrox
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    Your post is really difficult to understand. I read it as the person is unhappy with the amount of money being offered as compensation ?

no, unhappy the fact they brushed over parts of the complaint.
    in the letter in final response they say we imply a 2 hour wait (call logs proof here)
    and they confirm its 43 minutes. and then just say its unacceptable to wait that long.
    they don't reference about the fact the text service would inform someone they have a negative value for the next two days and they know she cant transfer from her savings to her account as that was the issue within the call.
    they put emphasis on the charges when that actually wasn't what she complained about
    the timing of the charges were what she had issues with as she used her card earlier that day removing money and if she had notification she could have went in branch when she found out she had issues.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 October 2017 at 2:38PM
    Options
    bank charges were for a set of missed payments including two she had paid on that day which was strange including unarranged overdraft charges for this which was strange.

The Nationwide T&Cs seem to contradict this...
    (28 days’ notice is given for overdraft fees
    however, this notice period doesn’t apply to
    the monthly account fee.
    The total sum of unarranged overdraft fees is
    capped per month.
    This includes the daily unarranged overdraft
    usage fees, unarranged overdraft interest
    and any paid/unpaid transaction fees)
    the charges were applied to the account on the Saturday evening at 5pm which I thought was strange as nationwide doesn't generally do business on a Saturday. but the charges were for july she knows about the new 50 cap on charges and wasnt calling just in regards to that

This may be why the charges exceeded the £50 cap

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/product-support/current-account/monthly-maximum-charge#xtab:twistycontent-higher-charges
    Any unarranged overdraft fees, charges and interest that were incurred in July 2017 will be capped based on our existing rules about unarranged borrowing*. The £50 MMC cap will only apply to any unarranged overdraft fees, charges and interest incurred after 1 August 2017.

So as different caps applied in July and August, it’s possible your fee for any unarranged borrowing in your August Notification of Charges could be higher than the new £50 MMC cap.

when Monday came after 2 days of texts telling her negative 60 pounds from her account at 8 am ish - she had to call to get them to fix part of this. she didn't dispute charges she did dispute the ones she had paid and shown proof they were debited. they removed all the charges and took off the text alert service in the same call. she was then advised a customer complaints team was calling.

Are you sure they took off the text service.

It says on their website that you only recieve texts for 2 days

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/ways-to-bank/text-alerts/free-text-alert-service#xtab:tab3-terms-and-conditons
    6. We will only send you low balance alerts for a maximum of 2 days. We will send you a high balance alert once each time your balance reaches or exceeds the high balance limit account you set.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • zaphob_beeblebrox
    edited 22 October 2017 at 3:05PM
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    The Nationwide T&Cs seem to contradict this...

This may be why the charges exceeded the £50 cap

Are you sure they took off the text service.

It says on their website that you only recieve texts for 2 days

in the terms and conditions we know this one. something to do with direct debit at 8 and something to do with a debit at 2 pm. we were informed of this part in the call on the 17th.
    money into the account was at 0842am .. first debit was before this second debit was taken.

yeah we got shown the 1st of august cap also, it was more the timing of the charges and then the event afterwards.

the text messages came at
    sunday 13th of august 2017 08.11 am and 0800 am
    Monday 14th of august 0829 am
    they didn't take off the service I have the texts in front of me and a weblink for the url but cant post this up at all as I'm a new member.
    both texts inform her that she has -59.48 in the account but she knew this and couldn't actually transfer a thing into the account from her savings.
    this again was shown to the customer service agent in a video that was sent when it gets to the make payment she couldn't actually click the make payment, the box at the bottom was greyed out.
    she managed to buy nappies at 0615 sunday morning from the petrol station using change and buy blue milk. between screaming baby added to the equation from no nappies wasn't a fun night for her.

sorry had to edit the post and remove the links I cant post up links
    sorry again

calls were at
    12 august 22.35 1 hr 2 minutes 14 seconds - no answer was put back into queue
    12 august 23.38 1 hr 17 minutes 51 seconds - the second call lasted minutes she answered at about the 58 minute mark on the call
  • zaphob_beeblebrox
    Options
    @dobbibill

sorry dobbi that was another part.
    we have a response from the financial ombudsman that states we never received texts from the bank the customer wasn't signed up for the service as it was evident she was distressed

she replies with proof of the texts in the morning.

the next reply is a contradiction where the call handler never set the frequency
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure