Origin Broadband - any good

myxbox
myxbox Posts: 231 Forumite
edited 28 March 2017 at 12:22PM in Phones & TV
MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Origin is included in our Cheap Broadband guide where we currently say feedback is mixed (as at March 2017). Take a look at our research: Origin Broadband

Back to the original post...

Hi there , am thinking of moving to Origin Broadband , firstly for adsl then fibre

my exchange is a 21CN , market 1 BTW only

how do others find the service and support .

Given what the say here "Origin operates one of the largest networks in the UK, this means we have more than enough capacity so we never need to throttle your connection, limit you or slow you down"

Has any one ever suffered slow speeds with them

many thanks

Comments

• mrchagle
    mrchagle Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi All

I am currently with Sky (Fibre) but looking for a change.

I found Origin Broadband - https://www.originbroadband.com

They look good, and what appear to be excellent pricing compare to Sky.

Looking at their checker, I can get the 38MB service which is pretty much the same as Sky.

What upload speeds do they day? 40/10?

More to the point, are they good?

Thanks all.
    If I've help in anyway, please remember to thank me :-)
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    I am more worried about the fact I have never heard of them.

Have you Googled them yet?. Do not go by what they say on their website.

Also have a look on www.thinkbroadband.com

This where a lot of people share their feelings in forums about the services and reliability of broadband companies ect.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Origin one or two posts/ comments on the board .
  • JenniferK
    JenniferK Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 February 2016 at 10:40AM
    Went from Plusnet to Origin. Very happy.

Took 76MB fibre package. Was on similar with Plusnet. I find that the speed has increased from 50Mb (Plusnet) to 70MB. It is a nice stable connection with no traffic management, or any limitations whatsoever.

Customer service is based in UK and easy to get hold off (compared to 45-60 minute hold with Plusnet).

Very much recommend them. I would also point out that its possible to haggle with them when joining.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I see that a new supplier has appeared on the scene "ORIGIN BROADBAND"
    Has anyone any experience of them ?
    They offer a 76Mb fibre service (inc line rental) at £27 per month for 18 months !
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I joined them at the beginning of September from Plusnet. PN would not offer a deal on their mid contract price rise, so I left without having to pay an ETC. I was perfectly happy to stay with PN if they could match the Origin deal.

The changeover was seamless, went to bed one night, new service on first thing in the morning.

I'm on their 38Mb fibre, but we only get 18Mb download anyway due to our long line length. This was the same speed as PN, but the Origin upload is 3Mb against PN's capped 2Mb. The service seems very stable and there is certainly no perceptible throttling or traffic shaping.

They offered a fixed upfront 18 month deal including anytime calls and caller ID for £520. This may not suit some people but, because I paid upfront, there will be NO increase or any further charges for me over the 18 month period.

The UK based service desk answer the phone within a couple of rings and their email correspondence has been similarly swift.

Early days, I know, but so far so good.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mister_G wrote: »
    I joined them at the beginning of September from Plusnet. PN would not offer a deal on their mid contract price rise, so I left without having to pay an ETC. I was perfectly happy to stay with PN if they could match the Origin deal.

The changeover was seamless, went to bed one night, new service on first thing in the morning.

I'm on their 38Mb fibre, but we only get 18Mb download anyway due to our long line length. This was the same speed as PN, but the Origin upload is 3Mb against PN's capped 2Mb. The service seems very stable and there is certainly no perceptible throttling or traffic shaping.

They offered a fixed upfront 18 month deal including anytime calls and caller ID for £520. This may not suit some people but, because I paid upfront, there will be NO increase or any further charges for me over the 18 month period.

The UK based service desk answer the phone within a couple of rings and their email correspondence has been similarly swift.

Early days, I know, but so far so good.
    I am on TT large fibre (80Mb upstream - 20Mb downstream) - this is the actual speeds that I get - I am 100 yards from the roadside box !!
    I currently pay £27.70 inc line rental but this will go up by around £7.50 next month !!
  • Hello

Few days a go I've joined origin 15mb broadband after connecting router I discovered that internet keep dropping and real speed is around 5mb, Im still within 14 days but I have been informed by Origin that once line is connected I would have to pay cancellation charge of £360 where monthly coat is only £18, I don't know where to go with this but do they have the right to refuse the 14 days policy?
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As far as I know, all ISP's only allow you to cancel up to the point of activation.

If you have a fault you need to allow them resonable opportunity to fix it.
  • After looking at the Origin website it states that they adhere to the Ofcom code of practise

Give them a call and point out that the COP states you can leave without penalty.

The COP states
    d. The ISP must give equal prominence to the fact the customers will have the ability to leave their contract without penalty if: i. The customer receives an access line speed which is below the minimum guaranteed access line speed; and
    ii. The measures set out in the 4th principle have been taken but the issue has not been resolved. This right does not affect the customer’s statutory or contractual rights.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/85780/Broadband_Speeds_Code_June_2015.pdf

baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport