PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    In my local area a young woman made headlines because she has invented and sells resuable/washable sanitary towels made from terry cloth like fabric. She put them on a local south wales facebook selling page but was met with a lot of abuse-people called her disgusting-and whilst I can see they might not be desired by everyone I think they are no different to a moon cup and plan to investigate further.

I used reusable/washable sanitary pads for much of my fertile years, not always as sometimes they were not sufficient protection, but mostly after day 2 they would be OK. I must have saved a fortune, but also avoided a lot of landfill junk, which pleases me enormously.

There should be a thread somewhere here on OS about reusables. Also if you google it, you can find a lot of patterns to make your own.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've made cloth sanitary pads for years. Not needed them very much in the past year because of the menopause, but I keep a few around.

Not only is it thrifty and better for the environment; they are very comfortable too. Never had a problem using them and I think it's crazy that some would harass those who do or make them.

I have a pic in stock of some of mine, these were made out of oddments of fabric, are different sizes and thickness. All cotton of one sort or the other.

If this isn't an appropriate pic for the forum could one of the mods please take it down :o

pads_zpsyo0cppbe.jpg

What a strange thing to be posting on the internet of a Saturday evening! :rotfl:
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Seems odd that anyone would object to pictures of colourful sanitary pads, and yet pictures of nappies are seen everywhere!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    I've made cloth sanitary pads for years. Not needed them very much in the past year because of the menopause, but I keep a few around.

Not only is it thrifty and better for the environment; they are very comfortable too. Never had a problem using them and I think it's crazy that some would harass those who do or make them.

I have a pic in stock of some of mine, these were made out of oddments of fabric, are different sizes and thickness. All cotton of one sort or the other.

If this isn't an appropriate pic for the forum could one of the mods please take it down :o

pads_zpsyo0cppbe.jpg

What a strange thing to be posting on the internet of a Saturday evening! :rotfl:

They are obviously unused.

How do you keep them as pristine as that after use? We all know that bloodstains are notoriously difficult to remove. So if you have to spend money and time on products to remove the ahem....stains, well where is the saving?
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I may have taken this pic after making this batch.

Steep in cold water with a little milton asap. Some fabric will bleach, but most are ok. Then I boil wash them using biological powder in the machine. Not had too many problems with stains, but if it was a heavy day, I'd use darker fabrics.

Ex pyjamas make good ones, especially brushed cotton.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems odd that anyone would object to pictures of colourful sanitary pads, and yet pictures of nappies are seen everywhere!

And bearing in my that this thread is all about, what you can do to save money. Now you don't need them, you could always use them as oven-gloves.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    And bearing in my that this thread is all about, what you can do to save money. Now you don't need them, you could always use them as oven-gloves.

Or pot holders, remember those squares of knitted or crocheted wool with padding?

Now what other thrifty uses could you invent for cloth sanitary pads that don't upset the squeamish? Actually, the pads in the picture look too pretty for their intended use.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Caterina
    Options
    Katkin they are so pretty!

The best way to wash them I found is to rinse repeatedly until the water runs clear, then if not putting in a washing cycle straight away, keep in cold water and salt. Then put on a cool wash with mild detergent, as natural as possible (to avoid chemical residues in your delicate parts). Important ALWAYS use cold water because warm to hot "sets" the protein in the blood and makes it difficult to remove the stain.
  • Caterina
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    They are obviously unused.

How do you keep them as pristine as that after use? We all know that bloodstains are notoriously difficult to remove. So if you have to spend money and time on products to remove the ahem....stains, well where is the saving?

I was never fussed about a bit of bloodstain, it was my blood anyway and i knew they were washed and clean and that nobody else was going to look at them and judge me LOL. Forgot to add in my previous post, an excellent stain bleacher is sunshine so I would hang them to dry outside whoever it was possible.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 October 2016 at 2:50PM
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    Katkin they are so pretty!

The best way to wash them I found is to rinse repeatedly until the water runs clear, then if not putting in a washing cycle straight away, keep in cold water and salt. Then put on a cool wash with mild detergent, as natural as possible (to avoid chemical residues in your delicate parts). Important ALWAYS use cold water because warm to hot "sets" the protein in the blood and makes it difficult to remove the stain.
    Honestly it sounds too much like a faff to me (bearing in mind I prefer to have a plentiful supply of clothing / bedding / towels etc because I prefer to wash infrequently during the colder months!). I wouldn't be tempted to give it a go even if I used STs, and if you're not fussed about brands, supermarket tampons are more cost and time effective.

However I am inspired to turn worn out flannelette PJs into patchwork items now.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure