PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• empressemma
    empressemma Posts: 194 Forumite
    edited 16 December 2014 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Recently....
    Monsoon fluffy cardigan
    Monsoon 2 x tops
    Fenn wright mason dress (goodness, just googled them, dresses around £80!)

~ all 50p each!

Love my local "council estate" charity shop :)
  • Tinwhistler
    Tinwhistler Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a Christmas cracker for 40p saved having to buy a whole box.
    :female: INFP :female:
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 December 2014 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Mine is not a glamourous item of designer clothing, but nonetheless a bargain.

I saw something like an all-metal egg slice in my local shop at a pound. I thought it would be useful for slicing strawberries, which I dehydrate in season. But I thought again and left it. However, it kept nagging at me and I was passing the next day or so and it was still there, so I threw caution to the wind and bought it. The lady at the till was quite mystified as to why I would want to slice a strawberry and dry it!

Once home I gave it the usual clean up and notice a trade name - Westmark Champion. Out of idle curiosity I googled it only to find it on Amazon at 28.50 for the little gadget. And I had thought twice at a pound (sorry, pound sign gone walkabout). Well I think it must be a very clever and strong bit of kit at the full price, so when straws are next in season, I will let you know!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I've got one! I've got one! :j

A bargain, that is (well, actually 2 bargains).

From our local hospice shop, I've just bought a brand new, still-with-tag hat by Patsy Flood O'Connor

ruby-3-cerise-1_large.jpg?v=1377022101

Pretty similar to this one, on Mad4Hats website priced at 50 euro.

It says:
    "A hat will change your whole appearance. It gives you a sense of confidence and elegance and if you’re having a bad hair day it will help cover it up", says self-taught hat maker and owner of Irish brand Mad 4 Hats, Patsy Flood O’Connor.

All of Patsy's creations are handmade to the highest standard, in her workshop in the South East of Ireland. The materials used are locally sourced and prepared in-house, including felts that are knitted and dyed by hand. This attention to detail is key, as Patsy believes colour and texture are important elements of her signature style.

Patsy is confident she has designed a hat that will stay on your head in the windiest of weather. This assurance comes from her own extensive road-testing while out walking on the beaches of Wexford, commonly referred to as the windiest county in Ireland...
    I paid £2.50.

I also bought 3 twisted glass icicles in a box that I'm pretty sure are Dartington crystal.
    I have to compare them with mine that I paid £5 for at least 7 years ago.
    Very happy at £1.00 for all three.
  • verynewmoneysaver
    Options
    bluelass wrote: »
    My Aunt got a faux chanel handbag from age concern in wigan for £5. It was a burgundy quilted one with shoulder chain, it looks really nice with no scuffs or marks.

I've got one like that. It was originally Edinburgh Wool Mill and I got it for about £5 from BHF. Use it most of the time.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

From our local hospice shop, I've just bought a brand new, still-with-tag hat by Patsy Flood O'Connor

ruby-3-cerise-1_large.jpg?v=1377022101

I paid £2.50.

Love the hat Pollycat!! :heart2:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Thanks, Miro, I'm a hat fanatic.

And, despite the strong winds over the last couple of days, I can confirm that Patsy's claim:

"Patsy is confident she has designed a hat that will stay on your head in the windiest of weather. This assurance comes from her own extensive road-testing while out walking on the beaches of Wexford, commonly referred to as the windiest county in Ireland... "

is true. :T
  • sarah182xxx
    sarah182xxx Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    love reading this thread ! I got some lovely Christmas decorations - really old fashion wooden ones in a little bag for 50p in the rscpa shop. they are really special to me as they are exactly what my grandma had on her tree when I was younger xxx
    :j First prizes back into comping after a break - romantic break to 2 to Venice/ Paris or Rome with romantic trip and a 42 inch TV and blu Ray amazing !

Thank you all so much and good luck guys and girls xxxxxx
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blether wrote: »
    Was in Aberdeen for the weekend. Went round the charity shops but only got a book in one. Prices are getting even higher. £6 for a worn George top, £12 for a Sainsbury new top which still had their £12 price tag on it and a second hand Jaegar leather bag for £120 and there are loads on ebay a lot cheaper and new ones for a similar price. I am a regular visitor to Aberdeen and used to get some good buys but lately the prices are getting outrageous. The charity shops used to be busy but not now. Don't know how some of them cover their overheads. Was told that Doc Martin were trying to open a shop in Aberdeen but were outbid by a charity shop. That says it all when they have more money to spend than regular shops.

Tell me about it! Most of them are ridiculous. I've stopped shopping at the chains altogether.

The best ones I know of in Aberdeen are:

CLAN (Chapel St or Rosemount Place)

Chest, Heart & Stroke (Schoolhill - can be a bit more than average but they mostly sell good quality branded stuff e.g. Barbour jacket for £25, Wool jaeger coat for £15)

The Sailors' Society (South Mount St just after the Noose & Monkey pub opp. the bridal shop)

- absolute gems here sometimes. My last haul included 3 men's hardly worn expensive branded shirts for 50p each, an elephant canvas print for £3, an original Old Aberdeen/University oil painting inc. frame for £5 by a local artist (similar in the art shop next door would have been about £300!!!) and a pair of lined 90"x90" curtains for £10.

The George St charity shops (Sue Ryder, Cats Protection & Bethany's) often have so e really good bargains too but you'll have to dodge the hobos, drunks and junkies who hang out there!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 December 2014 at 6:01PM
    Options
    My bf left a bag of really expensive shirts that his Dad had given him that he'd grown out of on a train and never got them back so I've been on a mission to replace them with similar quality shirts for much less than the cost of replacing them new.

I got 3 nealy new shirts for 50p each (TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt & Blue Harbour) in Aberdeen.

I got 2 nearly new Blue Harbour men's jumpers for £3 each in a CS in Gorgie Rd, Edinburgh.

But my best bargains of the month came from the Sue Ryder shop in Dunblane - a small Ness Harris tweed satchel (BNWT) for £5.99 (RRP £25) and 2 Le Creuset miniature casserole dishes shaped like a strawberry and a raspberry for £1.65 each!! They were selling these in the Cheshire Oaks designer outlet store a few years ago for £15 each and that was 50% off RRP.

Mary's Meals in Dunblane is also fantastic. I got a pair of new cufflinks for my OH for £1 (he's the only man I know who actually uses cufflinks when he gets them for Xmas lol!), 2 still in the packaging C&A shirts for £2.50 (C&A went bankrupt about 15 years ago so they've been sitting in someone's wardrobe for over a decade!), several DVDs for £1 (Star Trek, Serenity/Firefly) and a handful of odds & ends (a bead necklace, a packet of sequins, some curtain rings, some haberdashery trimmings) for £1. It's a treasure trove if you rummage.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure