Sky and loyalty

Options

Comments

• Chrishazle
    Options
    When I phoned to cancel, they offered me 30% off for 10 months on a new 12 month contract, I declined and told them I was getting what I wanted from BT TV for £28pm less than I was currently paying Sky (£32pm) and BT Sport (£6pm). This afternoon I got a second call offering me 50%, declined again and told him why - so he's marking my account so I g4et no more "please stay with us" calls.

So much for their customer retention efforts when a 30 year customer leaves!
  • ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    When I phoned to cancel, they offered me 30% off for 10 months on a new 12 month contract, I declined and told them I was getting what I wanted from BT TV for £28pm less than I was currently paying Sky (£32pm) and BT Sport (£6pm). This afternoon I got a second call offering me 50%, declined again and told him why - so he's marking my account so I g4et no more "please stay with us" calls.

So much for their customer retention efforts when a 30 year customer leaves!

Look at your Sky Box and what offer they make to stay! I got 60% off.
  • stockton_2
    Options
    ossie wrote: »
    Look at your Sky Box and what offer they make to stay! I got 60% off.

Yup! Just checked and I got the same offer. 60% off, (keeping existing package) with a new 12 month contract. That is £20 a month for Original plus all Sky Sports channels.

I am going for it.

Thanks for that, Ossie.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stockton wrote: »
    Yup! Just checked and I got the same offer. 60% off, (keeping existing package) with a new 12 month contract. That is £20 a month for Original plus all Sky Sports channels.

I am going for it.

Thanks for that, Ossie.
    People have found that the offers via the Sky box, app and on My Sky vary, so do check.

In notice period, some of us commented that the offers (other than those standard for everyone) disappeared to be replaced by a 'left within 12 months ' link after cut off (and that's where the best offer was)
  • stockton_2
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »

People have found that the offers via the Sky box, app and on My Sky vary, so do check.

In notice period, some of us commented that the offers (other than those standard for everyone) disappeared to be replaced by a 'left within 12 months ' link after cut off (and that's where the best offer was)

When I checked "MySky" on-line, there was no offer there; just a message with a telephone number saying I needed to phone up to speak to them if I wanted to know what offers were available.

When I checked MyAccount via the Sky box (following ossie's post) I found there was an offer there for 60% off for a year.

So, well worth while checking both your sky box account and on-line sky account as the messages may vary considerably.

So, got the discount I wanted without even having to ask.

I think it would have been more difficult if I also had my broadband with Sky as there is no way I would risk being without my BB.
  • AlecEiffel
    Options
    Hi all.

Whats the best strategy to haggle with Sky?

Been with them for over five years and never done it but the prices keep going up and up.

Currently pay £68 for:
    -line rental
    -eve & wknd calls
    -voicemail
    -unlimited broadband
    -box set bundle (was family bundle)

Was told a couple of weeks ago that the line rental and broadband are going up so will be paying £72 from our next bill.

There are no offers on my account online or via the sky box that I can find!

We can't move to Virgin as our area isn't cabled yet and we'd lose out on some things we like by switching to Freeview, plus other than the cost going up we're happy with Sky.

What do I do? Just threaten to leave? Ask nicely for a discount? JUst tell them I want to discuss any available offers?

Cheers!
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    AlecEiffel wrote: »
    Hi all.

Been with them for over five years and never done it but the prices keep going up and up.

Currently pay £68 for:
    -line rental
    -eve & wknd calls
    -voicemail
    -unlimited broadband

Was told a couple of weeks ago that the line rental and broadband are going up so will be paying £72 from our next bill.

We can't move to Virgin as our area isn't cabled yet and we'd lose out on some things we like by switching to Freeview, plus other than the cost going up we're happy with Sky.

What do I do? Just threaten to leave? Ask nicely for a discount? JUst tell them I want to discuss any available offers?

Cheers!

Cancel the TV. Then take it from there. They won't offer anything to you out of the goodness of their hearts!

Phone and BB are slightly more time consuming as you don't want to let that cancel as it will cost you and then probably cost you again to get reconnected with someone else.

Deal with the TV first, and then when you when you get a decent deal on that then start talking about the phone/BB.

Big thread about haggling here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5480644

50% off TV should be your minimum expectation. However, if you have been paying full price for 5 years then the offers may not really come through until the last few days of your notice, or even when the TV has been switched off.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AlecEiffel wrote: »
    Hi all.

Currently pay £68 for:
    -line rental
    -eve & wknd calls
    -voicemail
    -unlimited broadband

Cheers!
    To give you a yardstick we've recently renegotiated the same package minus eve & wknd calls and voicemail and are paying £31.50 a month so I wouldn't pay more than about £45 for yours.

Tell them you're trying to cut costs as it's just far too expensive, you won't get a good offer straight away so cancel the TV package and tell them you'll look at other options for the BB/LR. That's when the offers appear. You'll need to try a few times to get a decent offer. Mention that you've never had any discount (if true).
  • carguy143
    Options
    It seems Sky will let you renew your contract early now as well. I joined in September 2015 as a new customer with their variety package with box sets and HD movies with a 6 month discount. In March 2016 I received a 20% off for 10 months offer with a 12 month contract and took that. Now my 10 month offer has just ended I asked on a live chat what the new offer would be as my circumstances have genuinely changed. I got an upgrade to Sky Sports HD with a new 12 month contract for £44.40 for 10 months.

Whilst I get it's not as good a deal as I may have got if I had waited out the contract I am more than happy with this deal as it lets me watch the Warriors games.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    carguy143 wrote: »
    It seems Sky will let you renew your contract early now as well. I joined in September 2015 as a new customer with their variety package with box sets and HD movies with a 6 month discount. In March 2016 I received a 20% off for 10 months offer with a 12 month contract and took that. Now my 10 month offer has just ended I asked on a live chat what the new offer would be as my circumstances have genuinely changed. I got an upgrade to Sky Sports HD with a new 12 month contract for £44.40 for 10 months.

Whilst I get it's not as good a deal as I may have got if I had waited out the contract I am more than happy with this deal as it lets me watch the Warriors games.
    You should refuse those 10 month offers, as they give a false impression of the discount. I've never known them to not relent and offer the full 12 months' discount

eg 50% off for 10 months is effectively under 42% off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure