PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    HOGLET live your dream pet, if you CAN do it and achieve what you yearn for in your heart then DO IT and be fulfilled. I'm so excited for you and wish you both every success, Lyn xxx.
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Aww thank you Kate, Candlelight and MLW.

We are going to look at a first property this weekend - it's right on the edge of an agricultural town and has about 3 acres. The house is smaller than what we have now but has several outbuildings, and also animal shelters in the paddocks. The outside looks pretty unloved, but the inside does look nice. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

Kate - ducks are high on the priority list!

Hoglet x
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    You go for it Hoglet, I hope it is what you are looking for, and if it isn't something will come along you can be sure.

I can see there might be talk of ducks and other animals on here before long :):)

Much love

Candlelightx
  • hoglet121
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    thank you for your support Candlelight!

There will be much veg and fruit growing, we would love chooks and ducks and would need something to eat the grass to keep it down. We would probably let a neighbour graze some sheep on the fields as we would need to learn a bit more about them before taking on some of our own (I would love goats, but I spent yesterday learning about their escapology ways so I would need to have more time to dedicate to them I think ;-) )

love hoglet x
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    3 acres, wow that would be amazing :D
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    I think goats are so funny but I would think a bit of a handful.

When the grandchildren were younger we used to take them over to Hatton Country Park at Warwick and the goats would be climbing all over the place, I may be wrong but they do seem to be good natured. I am sure someone will come along now and tell me they are not :)

Candlelightx
  • hoglet121
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yes I think goats need very good fencing! But I so agree with you Candlelight, I think they're great characters, and I would consider making goat cheese too. If they escaped (seems almost inevitable) they'd decimate the veg patch too. And you are entirely right of course, if this place is not right for us, something will come up :-)

Kate I was wondering if that would be too much land? Hence why we'd use some of it for grazing. Then part of me says 'why are you buying land that you're not really using' and then another part says 'how wonderful it would be to walk across our land early in the morning taking in nature'. In all honesty up to about an acre would be perfect but there doesn't seem to be many properties on that sort of size, most seem to be an expensive house on a tiny patch, or a run down shed of a house on 11 hectares - neither option we want!

Hoglet x
  • katep23
    edited 18 March 2015 at 9:07PM
    Options
    Ducks are great characters, they learn what certain sounds mean so they hear the garage door opening (where their food is stored) and all start quacking because they think they are going to get fed :D At our old house it was the sound of the gate opening because they used to hear that when we got home :)

We have friends who have 5 acres - they don't work full time and have quite an unusual set up but they manage to look after it all and it's very productive.

Grazing is a great idea if you can't use all the land at first. Our friends did have a couple of dexters one year but that was too much for the land; they have been very successful with pigs (we bought some meat off them and it was amazing) and had sheep for the first time last year, unfortunately they didn't sell any of the meat.

ETA, I know what you mean about the land / house balance. When we were looking we would have been happy with anything from 1/4 acre to 10 acres but the area we were looking in is so expensive that anything with more than a postage stamp garden goes for silly money.

Our house has 1/3 acre (although it doesn't seem that large). The only reasons we could afford this are that it's an hour away from most major places of work and that it was empty for a year and needs loads of work doing to it. That said, it's such a lovely feeling looking out at the fields around here and the hills in the distance, we do have a great view.
  • hoglet121
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    wow - thanks for sharing that Kate, that's really fascinating. I do love ducks, are they less destructive around plants than chooks or just the same?

Wow 5 acres would be phenomenal! We have frends who have 18 acres and they put about 8 cattle on their land - we were promised some beef would be sold but never heard any more! The whole lamb we had recently came from a lifestyle block - absolutely the best tasting lamb we've ever eaten.

We'll be adding about half an hr to the commute by moving to this area, but we have exactly the same problem with the costs as you mentioned. House prices in Auckland city are going through the roof so people are moving further and further out to try and get something affordable. This is the only way we could afford this project as we managed to buy our town house before the price explosion had hit our area, so now we're able to transfer that increase in value to somewhere further out. Even so, those far out areas are creeping up steadily.
  • katep23
    Options
    Ducks are, unfortunately, very destructive around plants. They ate the tops of all my onions one year :eek: They're great for dealing with veggie scraps though - the only things that so in my composter are onions skins, tea bags and egg shells!

They are also very good to put on a veggie patch to fertilise and clear any weeds before you plant it up though :D

They do like to dabble in the soil for insects, they take a beakful on water out of the bowl, drop it on the ground to soften it and then make a hole - the duck pen ends up with some huge craters and holes in it and can get really muddy when it's wet so it is good to be able to move them around!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure