PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Money
    Mrs_Money Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    My Lidl email says they have "Scarf knitting yarn" coming in on Thursday - looks lovely and very cheap - they show it just knitted up straight in garter stitch, but could this be their version of the Rio Can-Can scarf yarn?
    I've been wanting to have a go at one of those, but the price of Rio Can-Can has put me off! This is much better at 200g for £2.99 - wonder if I could substitute - no other way, just have to go down there and buy some I suppose, and give it a try!
  • kinkine
    kinkine Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mrs_Money wrote: »
    My Lidl email says they have "Scarf knitting yarn" coming in on Thursday - looks lovely and very cheap - they show it just knitted up straight in garter stitch, but could this be their version of the Rio Can-Can scarf yarn?
    I've been wanting to have a go at one of those, but the price of Rio Can-Can has put me off! This is much better at 200g for £2.99 - wonder if I could substitute - no other way, just have to go down there and buy some I suppose, and give it a try!

Hi Mrs Money, my Lidl has that yarn coming too, but I never thought about it being a version of Can-Can. You're right, it would be rude not to buy some! :rotfl:
  • lambanana
    lambanana Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    OrkneyStar you can get that yarn I'm using in purples but at full price it's expensive (of course, being rowan) I got mine in a half price sale. It's worth checking ebay and seeing if anyone is selling some cheap. It also comes in DK (I'm using the aran) if you wanted a lighter weight garment. It's so lovely though, if I had an unlimited budget I'd have lots of Felted Tweed garments :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • andymandy
    andymandy Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    I am busy knitting a spiral scarf they are so easy to do thank you to whoever put the pattern on here. My next project thanks to cuddles123 is the hug mugs. I have quite a few of these to make for my coffee morning sale.
  • Mrs_Money
    First Anniversary
    Options
    kinkine wrote: »
    Hi Mrs Money, my Lidl has that yarn coming too, but I never thought about it being a version of Can-Can. You're right, it would be rude not to buy some! :rotfl:

Well, that's what I thought!
    Seriously, though, it has the same look as the Can-can - might be able to tell from the look of it when I'm actually holding it!
  • Debs102
    Options
    Just discovered this thread on my first delve into the forums - I'm a knit-a-holic; love yarn and knitting :)

working on a spiral slouch hat using a simple lace patern in the round with a rib headband - it looks good so far!

Diolch - Debs
  • karmacookie
    Options
    I've just had a look at the scarf knitting yarn on the Lidl site. It does look like can can. The balls are smaller tho, so I was wondering how you would join a new ball in?

They have this in Kemps

http://kempswoolshop.com/wool_items.aspx?woolCategoryID=642197040

I think you would need 2 balls, but again I can't work out how you would join the second ball? Perhaps I'm just being thick :)
  • Mrs_Money
    First Anniversary
    edited 8 February 2011 at 12:15PM
    Options
    I've just had a look at the scarf knitting yarn on the Lidl site. It does look like can can. The balls are smaller tho, so I was wondering how you would join a new ball in?

They have this in Kemps

http://kempswoolshop.com/wool_items.aspx?woolCategoryID=642197040

I think you would need 2 balls, but again I can't work out how you would join the second ball? Perhaps I'm just being thick :)

Mmm - my Lidl email says 4 x 50g balls for £2.99 - so it's the same amount as 1 ball of Rio Can-can (200g) and yes, you've got a point about joining - never tried to make one of these scarves, but I've watched a Youtube video. The only way of joining I can see is to sew the new yarn on, keeping it all flat and with very tiny stitches? As it's all frilly perhaps it wouldn't show?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    lambanana wrote: »
    OrkneyStar you can get that yarn I'm using in purples but at full price it's expensive (of course, being rowan) I got mine in a half price sale. It's worth checking ebay and seeing if anyone is selling some cheap. It also comes in DK (I'm using the aran) if you wanted a lighter weight garment. It's so lovely though, if I had an unlimited budget I'd have lots of Felted Tweed garments :)

I have been eyeing up the Rowan felted yarn in purple in my local yarn shop for AGES. Not found something I want to knit with it yet - but I will. :)
  • karmacookie
    Options
    Mrs_Money wrote: »
    Mmm - my Lidl email says 4 x 50g balls for £2.99 - so it's the same amount as 1 ball of Rio Can-can (200g) and yes, you've got a point about joining - never tried to make one of these scarves, but I've watched a Youtube video. The only way of joining I can see is to sew the new yarn on, keeping it all flat and with very tiny stitches? As it's all frilly perhaps it wouldn't show?

Ah, that's a good idea! I made a scarf out of can can, it was nice but just not me. I quite fancy making a cushion cover out of it tho!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback