Servicing Stop - Avoid at all costs!!

Options

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Except your loss leader service may have cost them very little. Clean your oil filter so it looks new and top the oil up if below max and then use it to run a few errands and return it....

If you get your local garage to do the work and you trust them why risk an unknown service?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheap MOTs are expensive!
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    General rule when trying out a new garage:
    When you call, ask when you can book in for whatever work you want. If they are too busy for a couple of days, or even a week, you know they are popular. May be worth even driving or walking past the garage, looking at activity.

I use this general rule with lots of places for Goods and Services. Eg: looking for a good pub and/or restaurant - are there plenty of cars in the car park?

I don't agree, the couple of decent garages I use (both of which were highly recommended) can normally see the car within a couple of days or even same day if it's an emergency. The other bigger garages I've used are two to three weeks minimum waiting time even when it's been urgent and they've been totally useless, unable to fix even basic, known problems with the model.

I always go with a garage that has recommendations for good service.

John
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any good garage is going to be inundated with work. Same as takeaways. The good takeaways aren't signed up to HungryHouse or Just Eat because they are too busy to take on discounted work.

IIRC Servicing Stop take 1/3rd of the price as their fee. So for a £100 service there is only £66 left. With the £66 the garage sends 2 people around to pick up and return your car - call it 15 minutes each way x 4 trips. If people are paid minimum wage the cost to the business will be c£10 per person including pension, holidays, sickness. That £66 is now £46 to service your car.

Add on a cheap filter £5, trade oil, garage overheads and there isn't a lot left to make any profit. That's why they have to price gouge.
    The man without a signature.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    My theory is that you have to get as close as possible to the person actually doing the job.
    If you can get a good mobile mechanic that would be best. Look at the new parts he is fitting. Keep an eye on him.
    Next best is a small independent where you can chat with the mechanics.
    Worst is a main dealer where you can only talk to a receptionist and have no idea who has been working on your car.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    My theory is that you have to get as close as possible to the person actually doing the job.
    If you can get a good mobile mechanic that would be best. Look at the new parts he is fitting. Keep an eye on him.
    Next best is a small independent where you can chat with the mechanics.
    Worst is a main dealer where you can only talk to a receptionist and have no idea who has been working on your car.

The principle is fine but ultimately it will vary.

Last year got a budget tyre from a local place, checked the price on black circles and they were the cheapest, so rang them up, agreed teh price as they would be saving on commission.

Went down and got it done, on completion it was now excluding vat, valve etc.

Just put me off them, live and learn and I go elsewhere.

Similarly there are some areas where using an intermediary can be cheaper, for investments then it's generally cheaper to go to a broker, if you go direct you'll often pay an initial fee which will be discounted by the broker etc
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    My local tyre (independant) places only quote the all in price.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    My local tyre (independant) places only quote the all in price.

Hopefully you only ever get caught out once with the valve, balance, disposal, VAT scam.

Kwik fit used to do a free puncture repair scam where you took the tyre for a free repair then they charged you for a new valve and balancing on every repair.
  • Ducado
    Options
    Just wish I had read all this before signing up. You know what they say : if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The guy who came to collect my car was just over an hour later than I had been told the Day before. He first called to say his satnav was too old and he was nowhere near me. He took the car and I called the service place -" Hertford Auto centre" - to ensure it had arrived OK. The man who answered the telephone, Gary, said he had just sent in the 'report'. The car was in for a simple service - oil change etc. I received a call a little later from an obnoxious character who tried to convince me that my car was poorly maintained. I has complete service history from new. I had asked them to tell me why the passenger air scarf was not working. I've the light comes on but no blower and then after a few seconds it goes out. However, this extremely rude character said I needed special oil (don't they know all Mercs use a special oil?) he said I needed a complete brake fluid change - why? It was done a couple of Months ago when it had MOT and Major Service. He said I needed something done to clean the injectors. No reason given. The best part was when he said the A/C needed to be regassed. What a load of rubbish. It had been done by the Mercedes Dealer 10 Days ago. I think they are a scam Company and will never use them again. Even Gary from HAC told me they just try to sell you stuff not needed. The service book has not been completed and there is no evidence they used any special oil. In addition the service light is still on. What a con trick. I am going to raise a dispute with my bank. Someone should report them to trading standards.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Ducado wrote: »
    Someone should report them to trading standards.
    Well, you are the one with the most recent (reported) evidence and experience, I suggest you report them to trading standards. I think you have to go through Citizens Advice Bureau now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback