Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• michelle09
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing well! December is never the easiest month to stick to budget.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Michelle :)

Thought I'd do my Meal plans for Xmas eve/Boxing Day. We have my parents both times and they can be a bit fussy, I'm happy to have a mix of ready made (from Aldi :money:) and homemade.

So far I'm thinking for Xmas eve :

Bubbly

Bruschetta /pizza style brushettta for the boys :o

Warm goats cheese, beetroot and walnut salad for me mum and dds boyfriend, same for dh and dad but with fish cakes

Sausage roll wreath for the boys with potatoes and veg

Not sure about dessert yet.

Boxing Day:

Bubbly again :D

Nibbles:

olives, Aldi antipasti platters, crisps, homemade hot cheesy things - perhaps pinwheels or cheese straws :D

Sit down buffet style food:

Ham

Turkey (probably mum's leftovers)

Salami and prosciutto

Posh breads

Normal frilly salad

Carrot and coriander salad - nice last year

Pickles

cheese board /grapes and possibly figs if cheap enough :D

Cranberry topped pork pie

Brie and cranberry filo tart

Desserts - again no idea!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    £45.24 spent on groceries this morning, this time from Iceland. They had free delivery slots all the way up to next Saturday, I'm surprised they have not been snapped up like other places have.

A couple of desserts for the freezer but mainly crackers/Xmas snacks/juice/croissant and non alcoholic drinks bought.

Lovely evening last night at the Thai in the next town, we got an uber and it cost so much less than a cab, plus dh paid for the meal so I still have extra cash for the month if I run out of food money (which is a strong possibility!)

Today I'm going to tesc* to change up my loose change and sell back the £40 euros I had left from the cruise to Amsterdam, it will go some way to paying for my highlights on Friday, I'm cancelling the cut so it should be "just" £82 plus tip :eek: having blonde hair is a big commitment, I used to dye and cut my own with stuff from £1land. Also need to get shower gel and shampoo whilst there.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Tesco coin machine was full up so I spent 20 mins chucking coins into the self service machine, the staff didn't look too impressed but there was no queue so why not :D it paid for essentials such as champagne for Xmas day and chambord :beer: £27.15 spent. Great veg bargains already in store , white potatoes and sprouts for 22p and 18p if I remember correctly.

Off to start a bit of wrapping now :D
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »

Off to start a bit of wrapping now :D

Whilst watching a Christmas film? Buffets sound great, are you elsewhere for Christmas day?
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Probably a scary box set cath actually :D we are at my parents Xmas day and have them at our Xmas eve and then everyone at ours Boxing Day.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Getting there present wise :T about half done now and everything bought. Ds1 has had less spent so I'll give him some cash to balance it out.

I've decided to cancel my highlights this friday, it's too much money and only 4 weeks since I last had it done, even if I cancel the cut i have to pay for a blow dry which is £20 on top, I'll hang it out until January. I've ordered some root touch up powder from Amazon to try instead :D

Thought I'd try and list a few mse things I do everyday to keep it at the forefront of my mind and force me to actually make the effort regularly:

- cancel highlights

- heating low and off while I'm alone

- swapped item I bought for me for Xmas present for friend

- wash clothes with soap nuts

- feed the kids their second roast dinner tonight, cooked double yesterday and plated up ready to zap
  • newgirly
    Options
    A great night with ds2 last night - watching tv :D the return of "leaugue of gentlemen" had us beside ourselves with excitement after a 20 year absence we watched it twice incase we missed anything :rotfl:

Todays mse aims:

- Make a leftover gammon something or other for dinner for dh

- cancel dentist for me Wednesday (dh has booked a jazz night meal in london, not sure what I would prefer really dentist or jazz , shhh dont tell him :rotfl:)

- meal plan rest of week, need to free up fridge and freezer space ready for Xmas food

- online research desserts to make /buy on a budget

- check accounts are balanced
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Wise choice to hang on with highlights till Jan, I think - stringing things out like that can make a huge difference to how expensive they are in the long run :)

It sounds like you're really organised and looking forward to Christmas and the New Year now :) Enjoy!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Options
    Cheers vix, you too :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback