Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Shame the same couldn't be said about the soda water. Why do they shove it in the centre of tonic and and whatever the third variety is. I could only retrieve a couple of bottles safely from three racks down without causing an avalanche of bottles. Other people before me had left the stack completely unsafe :(

Your remark made me remember when a guy in Aldi was whizzing a fully stacked, muti trayed stock of fizzy pop 2 litre bottles around a bit too fast..

I told him to be careful. He said why. I told him the weight of the drinks would crush him if he toppled the trays.

He did not believe me so I worked out the weight on the spot and the total weight of that stack was 1.5 tonnes!!

His mouth dropped at that. Think he is now more careful.;)
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Shame the same couldn't be said about the soda water. Why do they shove it in the centre of tonic and and whatever the third variety is. I could only retrieve a couple of bottles safely from three racks down without causing an avalanche of bottles. Other people before me had left the stack completely unsafe :(

How long would a customer get a case of mixer drinks, flavoured waters etc get toppled over onto them? Huge lawsuit.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The genuine German wheat beer, 500ml, new to Aldi, is absolutely gorgeous, if you like wheat beer. Has to be the best I've tried, better than the usual Belgian ones.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The genuine German wheat beer, 500ml, new to Aldi, is absolutely gorgeous, if you like wheat beer. Has to be the best I've tried, better than the usual Belgian ones.

Many thanks, our Aldi used to have it when they opened a year ago but I looked the other day and couldn't find it. I'll look again as it it a lovely summer drink :beer:
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    No, but checkout staff at the "new" Lidl always ask whether customers are using the car park and then note the customers reg no. It's all electronically linked to the cameras, as I once went in with a hire car and could only remember the first part of the reg....was then asked what vehicle it was, and lo and behold they identified the car asap. Kudos to Lidl!
    I wasn't asked my reg.

lidl parking fine overturned without receipt as proof
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think not as if you buy some items from mixed cases, the product on the receipt will list every item on the case. Or just list the name of the whole case. Plus all flavours have the same number/sku as have bought two different flavours from the same case before and entries for both were the same

For example, the bags of gummy sweets for 33p come up as Cola/Teeth/Gummy/Cherry on the receipt - I picked up another receipt when I was packing.

I bought some Blueberry Wheats which are in the same case as the apricot ones and says on the receipt Fruit Wheats..

If in the example of the Fruit Wheats, if Aldi had separate sales for both, each flavour would have its own number or listed on the receipts 'the actual flavour

The main thing is, if Aldi was able to track the sales of individual fflavours, they would drop the poor selling ones, increase the proportion of the better selling ones per case or give a falvour its own case,
    This is why Aldi was out of stock on plain dark chocolate then. Had every other imaginable flavour, sea salt, mint... Because computer doesn't know plain is OOS.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If that's the case for some multi-stock lines, then it isn't the same for others. In Lidl, the soup-in-a-cup all have different barcodes on them. (The numeric equivalent to the barcodes is not usually printed next to it like the usual standard, but is elsewhere on the packaging).

Even the Batchelors stock (which in Lidl is a multi-stock line) had different barcodes for each flavour.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    New Product Lines in Aldi....

Almond Milk (long life, sweetened or unsweetened). Next to the Soya Milk. 99p for 1L.

Smoked Salmon with accompanying sauce e.g. Horseradish, Mustard. £1.99 for 130g Salmon + 20g Sauce
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hated Aldi's chewing gum. Too rubbery and flavour goes within a few chews
  • VeGGie-STyLe
    VeGGie-STyLe Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hated Aldi's chewing gum. Too rubbery and flavour goes within a few chews

Agreed. It's pretty disappointing. But saying that, M&S chewing gum is just as bad.

Aldi's Complimints are lovely though. I only get the spearmint flavour, but they are nicer than the Extra version.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure