Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• chris1012
    chris1012 Posts: 381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am currently out of contract for my Phone line and 150mb broadband -
    Since being out of contract I am being charged £35 a month for the two.

VM has offered me the following -

£18 a month for 150mb (First 6 months half price)
    £184 one of cost for the line rental saver

Prior to falling out of contract, I was paying the following -

£165 Line rental saver - one off charge
    £13 a month for 150mb (prior to the £3 price increase)

Should I give in my notice in hope retentions offer a better deal, take the deal they have offered or cancel?
    London, UK
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 October 2016 at 6:46PM
    Options
    I've just cancelled, doubt they will ring me back but we shall see.

Please can anyone confirm the BT deal mentioned in the latest weekly newsletter has finished?

I've been looking at this offer and the £50 cashback cheque is no longer available according to this.

T&C'S

Our current promotion of a £50 cashback cheque is running exclusively with Cable.co.uk and their partners between 22/07/2016 – 01/08/2016 and is available to customers purchasing a new BT Broadband or BT Infinity package on bt.com via the aforementioned website only. Earlier promotions are shown below. Orders placed outside of these dates and via any other site do not qualify for this offer

Anyone confirm? I was going to go for that after quitting Virgin.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are some good asdl deals on the main site.
    Plusnert. Sky EE
  • leew
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    There are some good asdl deals on the main site.
    Plusnert. Sky EE

There is however the £50 cheque BT fibre deal shouldn't be on there as according to the T&C's it's not available.
  • badgerswithafros
    Options
    After playing the 'Cancelling and geting retentions call back a few days later' game for the last 4 years, they seem to have finally caught on!

I cancelled VM 2 weeks ago, and having not received a call back from Retentions by last Friday I ordered the Sky deal from here. (I've always cancelled Virgin when there's a Sky deal about, as it is good when haggling with Virgin, and also a nice fallback if Virign can't offer anything.)

Anyway, Retentions finally did call back on Friday night, and the conversation when something like this:

VM: Can I ask why you're leaving Virgin Media?
    Me: To save money, I've got a better deal with Sky.
    VM: Ok, thanks for letting us know, goodbye.
    Me: Goodbye.

So 14 years of NTL/Virgin has come to an end and Sky is getting installed next week.

Don't let this put anyone off, I've got fantastic deals for the last 4 years by cancelling and getting the call back, but just a word of warning that it doesn't always happen!
  • leew
    Options
    After playing the 'Cancelling and geting retentions call back a few days later' game for the last 4 years, they seem to have finally caught on!

I cancelled VM 2 weeks ago, and having not received a call back from Retentions by last Friday I ordered the Sky deal from here. (I've always cancelled Virgin when there's a Sky deal about, as it is good when haggling with Virgin, and also a nice fallback if Virign can't offer anything.)

Anyway, Retentions finally did call back on Friday night, and the conversation when something like this:

So 14 years of NTL/Virgin has come to an end and Sky is getting installed next week.

Don't let this put anyone off, I've got fantastic deals for the last 4 years by cancelling and getting the call back, but just a word of warning that it doesn't always happen!

Oh no! I was half hoping a call would maybe come as I can't really be bothered with the hassle of getting another provider up and running but it's my first time actually cancelling and been with them for 5 years.

Early days as I only cancelled last night, time will tell.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    leew wrote: »
    There is however the £50 cheque BT fibre deal shouldn't be on there as according to the T&C's it's not available.

The BT site says its still available until Thursday? though
  • leew
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    The BT site says its still available until Thursday? though

Why does it state this in the T&C's though

Our current promotion of a £50 cashback cheque is running exclusively with Cable.co.uk and their partners between 22/07/2016 – 01/08/2016 and is available to customers purchasing a new BT Broadband or BT Infinity package on bt.com via the aforementioned website only. Earlier promotions are shown below. Orders placed outside of these dates and via any other site do not qualify for this offer

Very confusing :mad:
  • bubblegun
    bubblegun Posts: 210 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2016 at 3:03AM
    Options

I've worked in outbound sales in the past.

Sounds like they had a good offer to stay but not as cheap as the Sky deal. When you said about the Sky new customer offer they decided that they were bored of having the same discussion with everyone recently. Thus they would just leave you and move to someone else who didn't mention the Sky deal with more chance of a sale.

If you'd rather stay with Virgin you should ask them for their best deal if you were to accept on the call. Record the call and write things down if possible to ensure you get everything they offer. Also remember usually one-off credits can be added on top of offers on the monthly price.
  • badgerswithafros
    Options
    bubblegun wrote: »
    I've worked in outbound sales in the past.

Sounds like they had a good offer to stay but not as cheap as the Sky deal. When you said about the Sky new customer offer they decided that they were bored of having the same discussion with everyone recently. Thus they would just leave you and move to someone else who didn't mention the Sky deal with more chance of a sale.

If you'd rather stay with Virgin you should ask them for their best deal if you were to accept on the call. Record the call and write things down if possible to ensure you get everything they offer. Also remember usually one-off credits can be added on top of offers on the monthly price.

Cheers, good advice for the future. I know previous deals I've got have had the one-off credits on top of discounts (for example the deal I got last year had a one off credit to cover my line rental for a year!)

Although I was happy to stay with Virgin I wasn't annoyed they didn't offer me anything. As I said, I've palyed the retentions system successfully for a few years to achieve 50% discount or greater, and can't expect it to work all the time. Very happy with the Sky deal tbh, and who knows what'll happen in 12 months time as a new VM customer again!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback