Forum Introduction Guide official discussion

Options

Comments

• Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If a site is constructed properly, with the user in mind throughout the process, then a guide is often irrelevant, as everything is intuitive/obvious/appropriately labelled.

It isn't the guide that is particularly the problem.
    It is the fact that there is so much 'unnecessary junk' included on the forum (which should be just on the main site), that there isn't the space to make everything clear.

I suspect the next incarnation of this forum will be worse than this one.
  • cat410
    cat410 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, ive been trying suss out for a while now how to create a thread, added my question on a similar thread and got my hands slapped by an old member. Im new, please give me chance. How do I start my own thread? Oh, also, there is no 'new thread' button from what I can see
  • cat410
    cat410 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    It's a button, not a box.
    helpful. Not
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 December 2014 at 10:56PM
    Options
    cat410 wrote: »
    Ok, ive been trying suss out for a while now how to create a thread, added my question on a similar thread and got my hands slapped by an old member. Im new, please give me chance. How do I start my own thread? Oh, also, there is no 'new thread' button from what I can see
    Have a look at few posts above yours?

Where exactly "there is no 'new thread' button"?
    cat410 wrote: »
    helpful. Not
    How come?
    You were looking for some box.
    I said that you had to look for a button instead.

On this page of this thread you can find how this button looks at least in three places. So can you find the explanation where exactly these buttons are located.

Alternatively you can use the drop-down menu "Forum tools" in the green bar at the top of all boards - just under the very same newthread.gif button.

I hope that now, with 19 posts count, you understand that it's starting a new thread that you seem to have problems with, not a new post. The post # 47 above was your 17th one.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    There is a new thread button at the top of each board to start a thread on that particular board.

For example here on the Site Feedback board if you go to the main page of the board it is here:

LiVEmlo.png
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    Options
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone

We're considering a new intro guide for the new look forum but will make a final decision on that once the new version has launched.

Thanks for the screenshot fermi, that helps explain nicely :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • fermi
    Options
    Forgot you could put the video in youtube tags as well, so have by coincidence just added that.

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    You just have to look at this thread and see how many people have only posted a few times to realise how bad the guide is, some of them have just posted once in this thread and in spite of being told and shown where the button is, they disappear and don't come back.

Now this is either really stupid people or lazy or impatient or it is the guide.
  • Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    We're considering a new intro guide for the new look forum but will make a final decision on that once the new version has launched.

Do you have a date planned for the launch of the new version of the forum?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure