Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• jrsga
    jrsga Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

Is someone able to help me on how to go about negotiating/leaving sky on the broadband side (I have no tv contract)

My B/B contract ends in March. I have just heard line rental prices are going up in March.

I understand you can give 30 days notice to leave (like the TV side??)
    How do i play it? Do I cancel 30 days before and then have 30 days to change my mind?
    What is the best way to play it and get a "good" deal?
    Can anyone say what kind of deals you can get nowadays on B/B with Sky?
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    jrsga wrote: »
    Hello

Is someone able to help me on how to go about negotiating/leaving sky on the broadband side (I have no tv contract)

My B/B contract ends in March. I have just heard line rental prices are going up in March.

How do i play it? Do I cancel 30 days before and then have 30 days to change my mind?

Assuming you are still in contract with Sky and your prices have increased after the Sky price increase, you can cancel your contract penalty free but you need to do it within 30 days.

I suggest that you contact other suppliers (T/talk, BT, etc.) to see what they will charge. I would then contact Sky to see if they can match or beat what they are quoting. If they can't, I would then go to your new supplier and get them to arrange your transfer. Then just let Sky know you are moving cos of their price increases.
  • nickc84
    nickc84 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just renewed for another 12 months. 75% off for 10 months and was informed to call back at the end of the 10 months to do another deal. This means we are paying £5.62 per month for Sky!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nickc84 wrote: »
    Just renewed for another 12 months. 75% off for 10 months and was informed to call back at the end of the 10 months to do another deal. This means we are paying £5.62 per month for Sky!

That's a good discount but don't forget that if you can't get a deal you're happy with in 10 months time then you'll pay full whack for the last two months which actually reduces the 75% to something less (sorry my brains decided to stop working :( )
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jrsga wrote: »
    Hello

Don't tell Sky to cancel it as not only will you lose your phone number but you could end up having to pay your new supplier to re-enable the line at some cost to yourself.
  • nickc84
    nickc84 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah that's a small risk. Even allowing for that it's only £8.40 a month. They are also likely to have a price increase during the next 12 months so another opportunity to get a deal
  • factor29
    factor29 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cancelled my TV 3 1/2 weeks ago using live chat.

Package was TV with boxsets, cinema & multiroom at a cost of £35 (60% off for previous 12 months & £100 credit) due to rise to over £70.
    Was immediately offered 50% off for 10 months which was soon increased to 60% off for 12 months.

Have had the usual 50% off for 10 (mysky), 50% off for 12 (sky app) and 60% off for 12 (TV) but no calls, I'm due to be cut off on Saturday. Having seen thats the best people are getting at the moment I'm prepared to hold out for better offers.

I also cancelled my grandparents on Thursday. Basic TV, with unltd ADSL, line rental & the £8 calls package.

On live chat was offered no discounts to keep existing package, but offered half price line rental and half price broadband if I paid £10 to keep recording functionality on sky freesat. Cancelled TV, and yesterday managed to get 60% off TV for 12 months and free broadand for 12 months. No buding on credit, or discounting line rental.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 February 2017 at 9:51AM
    Options
    factor29 wrote: »
    Cancelled my TV 3 1/2 weeks ago using live chat.

Package was TV with boxsets, cinema & multiroom at a cost of £35 (60% off for previous 12 months & £100 credit) due to rise to over £70.
    Was immediately offered 50% off for 10 months which was soon increased to 60% off for 12 months.

Have had the usual 50% off for 10 (mysky), 50% off for 12 (sky app) and 60% off for 12 (TV) but no calls, I'm due to be cut off on Saturday. Having seen thats the best people are getting at the moment I'm prepared to hold out for better offers.

I also cancelled my grandparents on Thursday. Basic TV, with unltd ADSL, line rental & the £8 calls package.

On live chat was offered no discounts to keep existing package, but offered half price line rental and half price broadband if I paid £10 to keep recording functionality on sky freesat. Cancelled TV, and yesterday managed to get 60% off TV for 12 months and free broadand for 12 months. No buding on credit, or discounting line rental.

How long does it take for the offers to come in through my sky?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • factor29
    factor29 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    How long does it take for the offers to come in through my sky?

It first appeared immediately after cancellation, but sometimes I log in and nothing shows at all.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    factor29 wrote: »
    It first appeared immediately after cancellation, but sometimes I log in and nothing shows at all.

Ah thanks, yeah nothing shows when I log in
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business