PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• JensFeet
    Options
    NSD #15 for me but I think I will have to buy some fresh bread tomorrow as we have 4 adult house guests tomorrow night and I don't think there is enough bread if they want toast for breakfast... Although we are up very early and off to the airport so maybe I can get away with it... Oh my I think I'm taking this too far lol... Plenty of cereal to choose from or greek yogurt and fruit or bacon and eggs... Who needs bread anyway?

x
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    I made the mushroom stroganoff from the recipie list for tea tonight using up the last of a bottle of Christmas mulled wine - and very nice it was too. I'm so grateful to the recipie index for that one.

The butternut squash eclipse sounds very nice as well so will try that, thank you for posting it.

NSD today and hopefully same tomorrow
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well my food budget has gone out the window, my daughter left her BF so I've had to buy extra food etc, she offered money but she's moving into a new flat so I told her to keep her cash. Fingers crossed for March!
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Small spends in Lidl and Morries £9 in total,
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    Just realised I'm getting confused between the 2 threads I've been posting on. If any of my last post makes no sense it's not 'cos I'm batty (well not just that anyway) it's because I'm also mentioning things said on the Eating Out of the Freezer and Cupboards thread. Sorry!

I am always getting the thread s mixed up too but don't worry about it a lot of us seem to be on both anyway.
    Slimming World at target
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK, with my month ending today as it's pay day tomorrow, I'm declaring over by £39.45. I haven't spent anything since Saturday in Grocery budget, and actually nothing else apart from petrol on Monday!

February declaring OVER at: £199.45/£160.

I'm reducing my budget by a fair bit for March, it's exactly a 4 week month for me, and I just don't have the money to WASTE on un-necessary grocery spends!

It's been a brilliant thread this month so thanks for the inspiration from everyone, I've loved reading all the posts! See you in March!

Date.......Shop......Amount.....Remaining form £160 Budget
    26 Jan.....T35c0.....£33.49.....£126.51 (Main Grocery Shop - some stuff wasn't there)
    28 Jan.....T35c0.....£22.75.....£103.76 (Extra Shop - off plan. REGAIN CONTROL!)
    28 Jan.....H&B.......£23.53.....£80.23 (Fake Meat things - frozen - not really necessary!)
    30 Jan.....T35c0.....£10.20.....£70.03 (Things that weren't there on grocery shop)
    1 Feb......T35c0.....£01.65.....£68.38 (Crisps and choc - sigh)
    3 Feb......T35c0.....£20.48.....£47.90 (Main grocery shop)
    4 Feb......T35c0.....£24.07.....£23.83 (NOT NEEDED stuff - got my cold and felt sorry for myself)
    5 Feb......T35c0.....£01.69.....£22.14 (Loaf of bread and a cucumber!)
    8 Feb......T35c0.....£09.02.....£13.12 (Small proper shop)
    8 Feb......H&B.......£02.89.....£10.23 (T0furkey slices)
    11 Feb.....T35c0.....£19.62....-£9.39 (Proper shop including soap, shower gel etc)
    12 Feb....T35c0.....£02.40....-£11.79 (lemons, spring onions and red onions)
    13 Feb.....H&B.......£05.48....-£17.27 (Tofurkey slices I'm so addicted! plus my expensive toothpaste)
    13 Feb.....T35c0.....£12.50....-£29.77 (loo roll and lunch bits like salad etc, £4.50 was for TWO lunches for my boyfriend! :eek:)
    17 Feb.....A1d1.....£08.43....-£38.20 (veg, flour and yeast - love A1d1)
    18 Feb.....T35c0.....£01.25....-£39.45 (onions and garlic that I forgot)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    karenccs67 wrote: »
    Well my food budget has gone out the window, my daughter left her BF so I've had to buy extra food etc, she offered money but she's moving into a new flat so I told her to keep her cash. Fingers crossed for March!

Sorry to hear about your Daughter. Just wanted to say don't think about it in terms of your budget going out of the window as this can make you feel as if you haven't succeeded this month.

Your budget was set just for you and cant be expected to do for two, when I have an unexpected extra mouth to feed I don't count it in my budget. I count it as entertainment LOL as this helps me stay positive.

Good luck for March.
    Slimming World at target
  • Cappella
    Options
    Well, in the first week of February I fell off the challenge wagon so hard I broke my leg :o and limped through the rest of the month to come in way over budget with a grand total of £573.00. That's over twice as much as I'd allowed myself.
    It's mainly the result of not planning meals and far too many shopping trips.
    In my defence it's not been a good month health and friend and family wise, and I just haven't had the heart to focus on challenges - life's been quite enough of a challenge :)
    Returning in March though - I'm determined not to give up!
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    Hello everyone. Over the weekend I managed to do my back in (nothing racy, I was just hoovering!) so couldn't get to Aldi which turned out to be fine as I made do with what I had, all I bought was some milk.

Today I've battled through Storm Doris and spent £8.49, which added to my milk and other shops brings me up to £37,90. I have one more shop to do for next week and then my February is over, I think I should scrape in on budget more or less but only because I set it quite high! It's felt like a very long month, financially and otherwise.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2017 at 2:54PM
    Options
    JensFeet wrote: »
    NSD #15 for me but I think I will have to buy some fresh bread tomorrow as we have 4 adult house guests tomorrow night and I don't think there is enough bread if they want toast for breakfast... Although we are up very early and off to the airport so maybe I can get away with it... Oh my I think I'm taking this too far lol... Plenty of cereal to choose from or greek yogurt and fruit or bacon and eggs... Who needs bread anyway?
    lol - I do that. Never thought of myself as competitive, but have found that I am when it comes to challenging myself. You know you have a problem when your telling people how many squares of toilet roll to use,when your trying to get through the last few days (dum de dum). I literally have squeezed the toilet rolls on the holder, so they judder slowly out when you pull them. Sounds like you have a load of options for people to eat anyway.

Well, I have had a £2 spend in the last 2 weeks, totally unheard of for me. I am using up stores and have made some really 'interesting' meals and tonight I'm going to make a pizza with dairy free cheese, using up some fridge bits. Really looking forward to having a shop tomorrow - missing my salad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure