BEWARE - Corgi HomePlan

Options

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have been with BG for years now, the Homecare 200 package

Got an "automatic renewal" this week - an 18% increase on last years cost.

One phone call and about 20 minutes of exchange of vioews and the price was dropped to £2 less than last years price.

Sharp practice or what?

No different to most car/home insurance companies.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    No different to most car/home insurance companies.
    That's the point I was making.
    BG are just as unscrupulous as Car/Home insurance etc etc etc
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • clingstone
    Options
    We signed up to Corgi home plan in 2013 and until this week we never needed to make a claim or call out. This week the heating stopped even though the hot water was still working. The Engineer came out but seems confused by our system set up because it used a Smart thermostat. He tackled the job but became very stressed, took everything apart and still failed to get it working. He was then unable to put things back as they were and ended up bypassing our controls by wiring the boiler up directly to an extension lead and plug!! He blamed the problem on the Smart thermostat installation which has been working fine for over a year. Now none of the electrics work, there are no controls and we are left with a complete mess to sort out. Having called Corgi Homeplan to complain and ask for another Engineer to come out, we were told that they will only consider the word of the original engineer and will not send out another engineer for a second opinion. They stated that they do not cover installations with Smart Thermostats and pointed this out in there small print terms and conditions. However, they have been quite happy to take the monthly payments while the system worked ... and at no time have the Engineers pointed out that the system would not be covered when they have done an annual inspection. Today the Engineer left us with a connected extension lead running from the boiler across the kitchen floor,The isolating switch box open and the fuse removed. He told us to make sure we turned off the boiler after every few hours as the hot water tank thermostat was no longer working and the boiler would simply continue to heat the water up until it is boiling hot unless we manually turned it off. In my view this is exceptionally dangerous!
    In summary, I would warn anyone in the strongest terms NOT to deal with this company!!
  • Milin
    Options
    If you manage to get any truth from this company( trading on what was a trusted name ) then you are a lucky person.I recently had the misfortune of dealing with them and was left with no hot water for 6 days until after loads of phone calls they turned round and said " not covered as it was a pre- existing fault".Strange that as the engineer who came said nothing about it.So called helpline was no help at all.I feel that I was lied to and fobbed off with excuses which seems to be a common thread with this company.Should be investigated by the police for fraud and not be allowed to use the corgi name.
  • Milin
    Options
    :mad::mad:If you manage to get any truth from this company( trading on what was a trusted name ) then you are a lucky person.I recently had the misfortune of dealing with them and was left with no hot water for 6 days until after loads of phone calls they turned round and said " not covered as it was a pre- existing fault".Strange that as the engineer who came said nothing about it.So called helpline was no help at all.I feel that I was lied to and fobbed off with excuses which seems to be a common thread with this company.Should be investigated by the police for fraud and not be allowed to use the corgi name.:mad:
  • Tonanti216
    Options
    I have not come across a Homeplan that actually covers day to day plumbing like you describe. Surely the terms of the contract you took out were specific about what they did and the graphic of a dripping tap is not an implicit contract nor in my opinion and implied contract. What is covered is the "pipe work". Likewise it says "Electrics covered" this only means to your heating system NOT the whole house.
  • Johnpower69
    Options
    One of the worst company and staff, I have ever come across. They are bunch of cowboys, whose sole purpose is to rob British public. Stay away from them.
  • johnsusan
    Options
    Thank you all so much for ensuring I do not use this company. I have been sent an "offer" so thought I would look into it. I wonder how they got my details?

Will stick with my local man who installed the boiler and can be trusted.

Thanks to all those who make sure the rest of us know the truth about people like this.
  • CMV46
    CMV46 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    We have had a similar experience to others with this despicable company. We called out an engineer during the coldest week in February - on a Friday. Didn't want to spend the weekend freezing in the house. He came out quite quickly, had a look at the boiler (which is a Worcester and 10 years old) then pronounced that it was 'dirty water' and we had to replace the entire boiler. My husband had told him it was the pump that needed to be replaced but he refused to listen and left without even trying to fix the problem. We told him that this was not acceptable but he said that Corgi would not allow him to fix the problem as it is always 'dirty water'. Within a few days we received a quote for a new boiler from him (private company). We called an emergency engineer to fix the problem. he arrived on the Saturday, replaced the pump and all was well. However, it cost us quite a lot of money. Of course now the battle with Corgi has commenced and they are flat out refusing to refund us even a penny despite the fact that we have been a customer for more than 10 years and that we have provided evidence that it was the pump that had broken down. They are cowboys and should be avoided at all costs. It is cheaper to just save your money for when you need to call an emergency engineer. I have no idea how or why this company is still operating. They treat their customers like philanthropists who pay them a sum every month to keep them in business while performing no service at all. I am thoroughly fed up and disgusted with them. I am also stuck with a contract that I cannot cancel without being charged to the 'engineer's' visit and the balance of the contract. I am so frustrated. Who has money to waste on these cowboys - not me. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THEM AND GET THE WORD OUT THERE SO THAT THEY PAY FOR A CHANGE. DISGUSTING CROOKS:(:(:(
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    The dirty water you mention is sludge in the system and CORGI will use this to avoid paying for work to be done.
    Just find a local qualified engineer who you can trust to tell you the truth and stick with him/her .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback