PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018!

Options
VfM4meplse
VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 14 September 2017 at 9:59PM in Old style MoneySaving
I've had a bit of (good) news today and am going to need some OS handholding for a few weeks. Quite a few weeks :o
[STRIKE]
In fact I can feel the stress coursing through my body right now - so will go for a brisk walk and then fill in the blanks on this post. I need all the practical OS shortcuts I can get![/STRIKE]

Ok, so I'm exercised and showered and have had a chance to think...life's about to get crazy! I am pleased to say that after a long and picky search, it looks like I'm going to finally move back to the shires! (Well, Essex to be precise). If the sale goes through in 13 weeks as I hope that takes us to the the week before Christmas. With slippage, realistically it wil be in the New Year but there is a stack of stuff to do beforehand. Ironically, the only thing I feel I have a handle on is the finances and paperwork!

The thought of having to pack up the house filled me with dread, there is just so much stuff, much of which I never use! But having thought about it, I know its possible but would appreciate some guidance. I knew I was going to have to economise for at least 12 of the weeks before 2018 but now I've got no choice. Where do I start?

Food is probably the easiest: no buying it. 3 months to work my way through the freezer. Which is not so easy given that it takes me a week to get through a take-away sized container of soup. The dried goods I'll probably take with me - plenty of space in my new kitchen :) . Can't wait to pack up my gadgets and bakeware that never get used but equally I don't want to live amongst cardboard boxes for the next few weeks.

I've got enough toiletries to last me a lifetime. Books are also relatively straightforward. I've got roughly 1,000 and lately have been adding at the rate of 25-30 a month. I am going to have to get a handle on my chazzer craziness. I'll make an exception for the books I've P'inned, but no more buying stuff. My plans are to furnish my excess space with thrifty "antique" furniture that fits in with the style of my new home, so there will be plenty of time for that in 2018. Which is just as well, as there isn't going to be much cash :D

Throwing unwanted stuff is relatively easy. Now for the excess. Most of it is packed away in my loft, and I had the intention of getting rid of it. Every penny counts, so I can't afford to give it to charity / stick it on Freecycle :o . I always meant to start eBaying, but never quite got there. I know it will be straightforward when you get in the swing of things, but also that it requires organisation so how do people do it when they are working full time, commute and making a conscious effort to take time out to exercise? Especially as so much of it is brand new and unused from my glamorous days: shoes, handbags, lingerie and formal dresses. Pre-Christmas is the time it would sell. If I take it with me, it will just hang around for ages and make my new home look untidy.

And so much kids stuff. What my niece doesn't need, I should get rid of. And then there is clearing the shed...!

On top of that there is the day to day stuff, there's so much to think about! haven't submitted my tax return for last year, thats the worst job of the year and I hate it :( . Plus I was looking for another job and I guess that will have to go on hold for now. I know I'll need to create some sort of schedule as I can't afford to waste a single evening but I don't really know quite how to organise Sorting out post, and that sort of thing. And it sounds really silly, but I've got 12 chunky library books on loan to read before I move out of the borough. That takes time too :o

It goes without saying that Christmas is cancelled (for me, anyway). I will get help around moving time but I need to make inroads well before then. How long will it take to pack up my home?

I need to prioritise, and fast. Tried and tested tips, please? And help in keeping me on track....
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Options
    I'm in... can't wait to hear your good news...
    :hello:
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Crossing my fingers for you.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Captain_Bluebear
    Options
    Wow! Exciting times for you VFM!

Almost a year ago, (after my last child flew the nest) I decided to get rid of my rented 4 bedroom house after my parents offered me the use of their granny annex at the back of their home.

This meant that I had to get rid of a 4 bedroom house full of stuff in 4 weeks....That sort of time frame really helps to focus the mind!

Gumtree was my best friend during this time (You get a lot of people that will offer you insulting money for your prized possessions but just stick to your guns)

I realise that your situation is slightly different to mine as you'll need most of your possessions for your new home....I literally had to get rid of almost everything but my clothes and bed! It really helps if you can disassociate any feeling you may have from the items you need to let go.

In the end, it really helped me to have the mind set that I was doing something positive (it was hard to let some treasured items go but I don't even think about them now)

I'm really excited for you! Good luck with everything and keep us posted about how it's going.

bear
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Local Facebook selling groups are great for shifting stuff & getting reasonable offers for items.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations we are also on the journey and downsizing to our final home hopefully yours will go without any issue, it's a stressful process but will be worth it in the end good luck.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    Local Facebook selling groups are great for shifting stuff & getting reasonable offers for items.
    I don't do FB, as I value my privacy. I much prefer anonymous networks.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    VfM I`ll hold your hand, I am preparing for move with no time date. The suggestion to me from a ds was a lockup storage unit, for all those things that I wanted out of the way temporarily

The stuff for the tip is relatively easy, the broken things, old wood, old tins of paint and so on. One load out is a box or two less to finally move. Don`t wait to start

Captain bluebear, respect!!!
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2017 at 7:35AM
    Options
    You need to save money, but these are a good investment:

clear plastic stacking boxes for stuff you are keeping: you can see what's in them and they are useful storage when in a new home. We bought 100 from Big Dug, but they might be cheaper elsewhere.

Put out a wanted on Freecycle for boxes and packing material. If you don't get much in the way of newspapers, tell neighbours and friends to save some for you.

Buy black bin bags for rubbish only AND a lot of clear plastic bags & ties. These are useful for clothes, toys etc. you can see what's in them, and write on them. Reduces the chances of favourite things ending up in the bin!

Marker pens and labels -both sticky and tie on. That way you can have your bags/ boxes for sale or moving easily identifiable.

That's how I did 3 house clearances and built a house in the space of a year!

Good luck!
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

I am pleased to say that after a long and picky search, it looks like I'm going to finally move back to the shires! (Well, Essex to be precise). If the sale goes through in 13 weeks as I hope that takes us to the the week before Christmas. With slippage, realistically it wil be in the New Year but there is a stack of stuff to do beforehand. Ironically, the only thing I feel I have a handle on is the finances and paperwork!

Oh, that sounds exciting! Good for you.:)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm in!

Yes, pre-christmas is a great time for eBay, it is really easy now (can be done on a phone for a start!). If you set aside a couple of hours to take photos on your phone & note each items details, the listing can be done in your lunch break. If you check the bids on there first, you can get an idea of starting prices etc and note this down on your list.

Re packing: stacking fruit /veg boxes from your supermarket are great for books, cds and dvds, their rigid corners protect the contents and they can be stacked in a corner when full (both before and after the move!)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills