PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves

Options

Comments

• Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    Neither, only drink coffee, espresso made on the stove top for preference. However, I'm sure I have some teabags around somewhere. I really MUST sort out my cupboards.
    Any maybe I will, after this cup of coffee ;)
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I usually use tea bags for convience but this thread made me go look for our teapot(s) & the only one I can find is one of those metal ones like you get in cafes - dont like tea made it that, so may have to go teapot shopping come payday!
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • anniestar
    anniestar Posts: 2,600 Forumite
    Options
    Tea bags, as i like my tea so weak its barely coloured! (in cup for aprox 25 seconds!!)
    Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

:A Level 42- the reason I exist. :A
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have a Chatsford teapot and also one of those Tchibo tea filters - I use both (the Tchibo filter just sits in a mug) so I can have leaf tea which I prefer - I love Yorkshire tea and it works out cheaper to use it loose rather than in teabags.

I do keep teabags in the house because DH refuses to have anything to do with loose tea (except drink it!) He doesn't make tea very often though so the last quite awhile.:p

And if we are having a tight month, value tea bags it is!:rotfl:
    :happylove
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tea bags: Yorkshire tea. But ALWAYS made in a pot, never in the cup/mug. I have three teapots. One for one mug/cup, one fot the two of us, and a big one when we have people round.

I use the bags because I find them convenient. For coffee, I grind my own beans and use a proper espresso machine. I have to knock out the grouts each time, and I just can't be messing around with tealeaves as well as coffee grouts.

Tea made in a pot is delicious. When it's made in the mug (or cup) then there isn't enough room for the tea bag to diffuse properly, and it tastes a little stewed even if it's only been dipped.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Both. I prefer leaf tea and always have two cups of that in the morning but do keep tea bags in for DDs.

I always used to buy Typhoo loose tea but then our local Tesco stopped selling it so switched to Yorkshire. Now they've stopped selling that too!
  • NicolaJH_2
    NicolaJH_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Both.

Red bush tea bags - found the leaf too fine

I have some flavoured black teas that are loose leaf - only recently got a decent thing to put the leaves in though, the holes in the previous spoon device were too big and the leaves came out.
  • Night-Owl_5
    Night-Owl_5 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Tea bags for me has to be PG tips, and don't have a teapot so made in a mug
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I prefer tea, but mainly drink coffee .. .due to DH offering me a "cuppa" (I presume tea .. I get coffee, LOL)

I prefer leaves and we have 'em in the house, but mainly it is bags.

However, when I have more than 3 adults in the house, I make tea with leaves in a pot .. nowt better.

Herbal is either bags or fresh from the garden.
    GC - March 2024 -
  • Garnet_Gem
    Garnet_Gem Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    I've used Tetley teabags for years but have recently thought that they've become different - a bit weaker. I've tried Scottish Blend but it's too strong. Anyone work for Tetleys? Have they changed their teabags? What other teas do you recommend?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback