MCZ Musa Hydro 15kw - thoughts

Options

Comments

• Gareth83
    Gareth83 Posts: 971 Forumite
    Options
    Also if the RHI means I make a small profit then surely that should be my primary choice regardless of efficiency etc?

I have no issue with loading pellets etc etc.
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    The non-domestic RHI scheme (phase 1) has been running for some time. Phase 2 (domestic) is due to start in the spring but has been put back a number of times and there is a big backlog of installations to register. There is a lot of scepticism about it going ahead – there are rumours of an announcement at the beginning of March. How lucky are you feeling?

Each air to air heat pump costs around £1200 supplied and fitted so if you need two or three for the house the capital outlay is less than for a biomass boiler install. Running at 500% efficiency that's the lowest cost source of heat.

Rads may give even heat but how much energy do you think is wasted under floors, in the ceiling void and in heating up all the pipe runs?

You will need less kW of heat with air to air (because you won't be losing heat under the floorboards) and the unit cost per kilowatt hour will be 2.5p compared to 5p with pellets.

Your small profit on RHI incentive – how much have you factored in for annual servicing, replacement igniters and grates and other repairs? And what value do you put on your time fetching, carrying, stacking and loading bags of pellets? Can you put a financial value on your boiler being unserviceable and your installer saying he can't get round to look at it for two weeks because he's busy installing new systems?

We all make our own assessment of the risks and returns. A biomass system is a big outlay on complex technology and I would need to be very confident of high returns before committing. When I had installers quoting for my business none of them convinced me enough to trust them. They also proposed systems which made them the most profit at the expense of the profit I would have made from the RHI.

If you're determined to go ahead, good luck to you.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AFAIK you will only get RHI if you're insulation levels produce an EPC of C or better and if the installation is done by a registered MCS installer with all the appropriate paperwork & calculations. So unless you find a really friendly one who will do it all for you it's unlikely that you'll get it for a self install.
    I've got a heatpump which was installed in 2010 by a registered MCS installer (and I've got a certificate to prove it). I've been waiting for the RHI to come into force since then, but I'm still not holding my breath.

I understand that for so called legacy systems (those installed after July 2009) they will be assed under the MCS rules at the time of installation which have been significantly tightened up over the past couple of years. I've also got to get a green deal assessment and an up to date EPC and I'll have to wait until all the new installations get registered. I'm still waiting to see if it's actually going to be worth applying when I find out what hoops I'll have to jump through and how much it's all going to cost (so far I've been quoted £150 for a Green Deal Assessment)
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am not going to bother applying for RHI, even if it comes about for domestic users, I don`t think it will happen btw. We have solar panels too, for hot water but energy outputs need to be metered so imo not worth it as our house is so energy efficient anyway and we would not be getting much
  • Highlandhome
    Options
    Having had a letter from MCS, re incidents of glass blowing out of Musa Hydro stoves, an engineer has visited and uncommissioned mine. I am without central heating in the North of Scotland in the winter (just great!!) and no idea how/when this will be resolved as it seems that blame is shifting between all parties. Is anyone else in the same boat? Any ideas what to do? I can't afford to run plug in electric heaters for long.... I think they are going to inspect all Musa Hydro stoves (?16,000 in the UK?!) so hoping there may be others out there who can help move things forward before we freeze!! Here's hoping :)
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    Having had a letter from MCS, re incidents of glass blowing out of Musa Hydro stoves, an engineer has visited and uncommissioned mine. I am without central heating in the North of Scotland in the winter (just great!!) and no idea how/when this will be resolved as it seems that blame is shifting between all parties. Is anyone else in the same boat? Any ideas what to do? I can't afford to run plug in electric heaters for long.... I think they are going to inspect all Musa Hydro stoves (?16,000 in the UK?!) so hoping there may be others out there who can help move things forward before we freeze!! Here's hoping :)

The problem is the installation of the flue.

(We have never installed a MCZ, but we have repaired/corrected bad installations)

I would recommend contacting whoever installed it, and get them to come and get it up to standard. And if that company has gone bust, spec flue should be able to recommend a company to come out and fix it
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 December 2014 at 8:07PM
    Options
    copied from specflue site

Specflue We are aware of the current situation with MCZ’s Musa Hydro 22, Club and Suite pellet stoves and are working closely with BRE, MCZ and MCS to identify and confirm the cause of the problem. If you have any questions and would like to talk to someone about the situation, please call us on 0800 881 5112.

We had a different mcz engineer to service the musa hydro 15 this year. He did a great job and practically took the flue apart in order to clean it properly. Captainhindsight, what do you think could be going wrong? I assume the stove would automatically shut down if there was a problem. I am certainly not going to leave it on if we go out. Quite scary

found this
    http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/images/20141022_FAQs.pdf
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    and now a list of mcs mcz suspensions

MCS has now been informed by BRE that the suspension for some of MCZ products has been lifted, with the exception of the following products below:

Suite Hydro 15 MCS BH0041/21
    Club Hydro 15 MCS BH0041/22
    Musa Hydro 15 MCS BH0041/23

Suite Hydro 22 MCS BH0041/24
    Club Hydro 22 MCS BH0041/25
    Musa Hydro 22 MCS BH0041/26

The products listed above are still suspended and cannot be registered on the MCS Installation Database until BRE inform MCS otherwise.
  • Silent_Dancer
    Options
    BRE must have good reason to suspend the registration of the MCZ stoves concerned without good reasons otherwise they could be sued.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I rang specflue and have learnt nothing. They could not say anything except that mcz used to sell to anyone, even without the training. They will be talking with bre this afternoon and there should be some more info within the next two weeks

Our stove was installed by mcz approved installer, four years ago and was last serviced by a different approved installer as the first one went bust, so I am not too worried but I don`t like the uncertainty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure