Have you tried to claim compensation for flight delays?

Options

Comments

• Star9272
    Star9272 Posts: 99 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    Have a look at page one of the "court success" thread - I think it's about 40-odd wins to maybe four losses? (This includes where legal action is started and the airline surrenders - indeed that is most common of all, I think)

Sorry thought you had inside information to the courts, thanks have read the thread thousands of times
  • hindey
    Options
    I received £346.60 (4oo EUR) each for my wife and I following a delayed flight in 2009 due to an alleged technical fault- but boy did they make it difficult!

I had to involve the regulator in Latvia (where the delay occured) and then when I finally got hold of Ryanair's Technical and Engineers report, I knew I was in the right and so contacted my local MEPs (as Ryanair are based in th ROI) and asked them to contact Ryanair, along with asking the Latvian Regulator to also contact them again.

Ryanair make it as difficult as possible with no phone number or email address and take it as a given that they will most likely reject your claim in the first instance - but if you know that you are right, don't give up and do whatever it takes!
  • l.walton
    l.walton Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Could anyone who had a success with Singapore Airlines please give details here?

They replied to my first two emails with the typical 'must claim within 2 years' and then proceeded to ignore the next four emails. They then ignored my MCO claim and when I was issued a default judgement they still didn't pay up. The County Court bailiffs were not allowed into their building by security and I have now submitted the paperwork to get my case upgraded to the High Court so that High Court enforcement officers can force their way into the property to seize goods to sell. It has cost me £220 so far but I don't want Singapore Airlines to get away with just ignoring me.
  • romanby1
    romanby1 Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    l.walton wrote: »
    Could anyone who had a success with Singapore Airlines please give details here?

They replied to my first two emails with the typical 'must claim within 2 years' and then proceeded to ignore the next four emails. They then ignored my MCO claim and when I was issued a default judgement they still didn't pay up. The County Court bailiffs were not allowed into their building by security and I have now submitted the paperwork to get my case upgraded to the High Court so that High Court enforcement officers can force their way into the property to seize goods to sell. It has cost me £220 so far but I don't want Singapore Airlines to get away with just ignoring me.
    Hope your luck changes. I heard somewhere it is best to use The Sheriffs http://thesheriffsoffice.com/
    There was a program on I believ BBC1 some months ago the looked an excellent organisation to use to recover debts etc. (Usual Disclaimer).
  • l.walton
    l.walton Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    romanby1 wrote: »
    Hope your luck changes. I heard somewhere it is best to use The Sheriffs http://thesheriffsoffice.com/
    There was a program on I believ BBC1 some months ago the looked an excellent organisation to use to recover debts etc. (Usual Disclaimer).

Yep that's who I have gone with. Fingers crossed!
  • GC01
    GC01 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have recently submitted a claim form with Monarch and noticed on their form it states that if your delay is between 3 and 4 hours you will only receive half the compensation.

I don't believe that the law allows this. Does anyone else know whether this is right or not? I understand that anything over 3 hours you are entitled to the full compensation?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GC01 wrote: »
    I have recently submitted a claim form with Monarch and noticed on their form it states that if your delay is between 3 and 4 hours you will only receive half the compensation.

I don't believe that the law allows this. Does anyone else know whether this is right or not? I understand that anything over 3 hours you are entitled to the full compensation?

Read Monarch thread and you will realise Monarch are trying it on.
  • Star9272
    Star9272 Posts: 99 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The results so far of the claims where an appeal was completed from MSE poll, unsure what's happening here? Has anyone a view/comment? I have claims with the 3 at different stages. 1 NBA issued.
    Monarch
    Won but I had to fight (eg appeal to the CAA/ other body) 5%
    Lost after appeal to the CAA/other body. 4%

Thomson
    Won but I had to fight (eg appeal to the CAA/ other body) 1%
    Lost after appeal to the CAA/other body. 4%

Thomas Cook
    Won but I had to fight (eg appeal to the CAA/ other body) 6%
    Lost after appeal to the CAA/other body. 5%
  • Nick_Page
    Options
    Inspired by the guide on here, my wife and I got back 1200 euros from our delayed LAN flight in Dec 2011.

It was a code share and we flew from Madrid to Ecuador on our honeymoon with Iberia. I tried to claim with them first as they were awful with both their customer service (really did not care their delayed flight caused us to miss a day of our honeymoon) and their horrible planes (we flew on the equivalent of a Ryanair plane for 12 hours!). It was more than 3 hours late and meant we missed our onwards connection.

I felt bad claiming from LAN as we had not used their planes and as they were much better all round. It is good these rules stick up for customers as we thought about trying to claim something back, but as usual with life being busy and companies always fighting we never get round to it!

Following the guide made it easy and fairly straight forward. I got the required info ready and submitted it on LANs website. After about a month I had not heard anything so I sent a follow up email and heard back from them quickly after that.

We did not know why the flight was delayed but they payed up and transfered the money to our account with no problem. We got back around what we payed for our tickets and it made up for what was a disastrous start to our honeymoon. We had a great time but had nothing but trouble with flights which we try to block out!

On our way back our flight was just cancelled for a day with no notice and no reason. As they put us up in a hotel and put us on the flight the next day I did not try to claim for that too as it seemed like they had done what they should have in that situation.

Thanks for the guide and making it easy for the little person to get something back :)
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nick_Page wrote: »
    On our way back our flight was just cancelled for a day with no notice and no reason. As they put us up in a hotel and put us on the flight the next day I did not try to claim for that too as it seemed like they had done what they should have in that situation.

Well done but others might read into it that the airline done the best it could and keep their profit margins high in not sourcing you a seat on another airline for a start :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure