BT Customer 40 years - finished

Options
I have been with BT for 40 years and a broadband customer for 10 years (still using the original Home Hub). Phoned BT yesterday to upgrade to Infinity and to ask how much more it would be compared to Option 3 that I am on at the minute. They couldn't or wouldn't answer, all they wanted to do was try and sell a mobile phone package and other stuff, because in the Customer Service Adviser's own words 'she is a salesperson'. When I had had enough I told them I wasn't going to bother, then they suddenly didn't want to loose me as a customer and managed, as if by magic, to unlock a special deal for 12 months at £40+ for phone line and broadband, but only if I did it that day. Told them NO THANKS and put the phone down and I am now finished with BT Broadband. I am looking for a new broadband only deal at the minute (still not against the thought of changing both), thanks to BT Customer Services. Hope BT are happy at losing customers, going to take my money and give it to someone else.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want a total BT divorce you move to Virgin .Otherwise you are using BT infrastructure .

Key to a new ISP is how long have you left on your BT contract .
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • freedom17
    freedom17 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't have any cntract with BT, but since this only happened yesterday I am just starting to explore all options and at the minute I don't have sky
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    freedom17 wrote: »
    I don't have any cntract with BT, but since this only happened yesterday I am just starting to explore all options and at the minute I don't have sky

You can switch phone and broadband to Sky. No need to get (or have) Sky TV.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#skybb
  • JJ_Egan
    Options

Are you 100% sure you have no contract .
    BB is normally a 12 month or 24 month contract . At the end of the contract it does roll on to an often full price rolling 30 day contract .If you are in contract it will require the balance paying and that can play a part in your choices .
    You should be able to see your fibre deal upgrade prices without going through CHAT via your members account page view Package .
  • freedom17
    Options
    I did have a contract in the beginning but that finished in 2008 and just been going month by month since then
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2017 at 11:45AM
    Options
    When I had had enough I told them I wasn't going to bother, then they suddenly didn't want to loose me as a customer and managed, as if by magic, to unlock a special deal for 12 months at £40+ for phone line and broadband, but only if I did it that day.

That isn't a particularly special deal. New customers signing up for adsl and line rental via quidco are paying £23.99 a month, but getting £200 cash back. Which brings the monthly average down to just over £7 a month.

You might be able to haggle something with the BT retentions, it's worth just phoning up to say you're leaving & see what they say. Otherwise sky have an exclusive MSE limited offer on at the moment where the monthly average is just over £10 a month, you don't need to take any other products from sky (and it's probably not available if you do).

I don't bother with fibre, so I don't know what the deals are. But http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband, quidco.com & topcashback.com are worth investigating.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Decide who you want as an ISP initiate the switch and they handle it all .
    Your current ISP is likely to make you an offer a week or so later .
    Standalone broadband may be more expensive as most now bundle line rental with BB .
  • stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    I would not make a decision based on one negative experience with a random sales person. I have had some severe confrontations with BT but I stay with them because they provide a very stable service at a competitive price.

Do you get BT Sports channels? If so, check when that contract runs out because it is often separate from the Broadband contract and could land you with an extra bill, even though you might think you are on a rolling contract.
  • freedom17
    Options
    I only have landline and broadband with BT, nothing else and as for one bad experience, I am sorry but that is enough for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure