2018 It's My Time

Options
Well l've decided to start this diary for me so that maybe in 12 months time l can look back at what l have or have not achieved. Let's hope it's the first and that when l look back on this post it's from the front seat of my camper some where warm.
Small potted history - lost my DH at 50 but luckily he left me not having to worry too much about money and l already had tendencies to save. Have decided that this year l'm going to retire at 54 and do some of the things we had planned to do together So it's save save save to be able to do that in Sept 2018 and then basically it's my time.
Have managed to get the VW camper(1972) back on the road £2,500 worth of work later lol and the aim is to use this and travel. I also hv a 1972 Eriba Puck which l have yet to decide if l can manage to tow. We become quite a road train when out on the road. So we will see next few months how l go on.
I know l will have good days and bad days worrying about my decision but life's too short to worry because tomorrow doesn't always come. Well that's post 1 done off to list some more 'collectibles' currently listing my DD polly pockets from the 80's and not doing too badly unfortunately having to split with her.
Count down to retirement 2023

Comments

• shabbychic12
    Options
    Well as l settle down to watch so tv l can reflect on a mixed day spend/saving wise. I was trying for a NSD but this was a bit optimistic so £30 spent on petrol, prescription and milk. I have set my budget for the month and my aim is to save £1000, l managed £715 in January which l was happy with.
    On the planned retirement l have worked out that for every £500 l save l can support myself for a month when l finish without much change to my lifestyle ( hopefully) so currently 1 1/2 months without touching my savings.Looking to have a pot to see me 2 years without worrying too much.
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    Morning, thought ld share my method of helping me save this year. I'm following the Japanese Art of Saving Money : KAKEBO

This gets us to ask 2 questions : are you really aware of what you spend ?
    : do you know how to value things beyond their price ?

Keeping a Kakebo is easy. At the start of each month simple decide how much you want to save and what you need to do to achieve your goal. Then note down your weekly spending and at the end of the month see how it al tallies up. In the Kakebo there are slots for you to personalise it according to your own spending and space for reflection and to make changes as you go along.

For me the fact it fits in my handbag is a big positive. Can become a bit obsessive filling it in but so far l'm doing it.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good luck in your quest.
    I am assuming that your savings are working as hard as you are!!? and that you are able to play the current account switching game to boost your piggy bank.
    Current account these days pay more then savings accounts- lots of info on the banking & budgeting + savings board.
    I'm sure that every extra £5 per month adds up.......
    Using a CC with cashback- or 2 xDDs paying £5 pm as an example
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    It's all working as hard as it can at the moment but keep looking out just in case something tempting comes along. That's the thing the money has got to last for a long time fingers crossed. Took my eye of the ball last year but back on it now.
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    Wet morning here in Manchester, plan was for a NSD walking (free exercise) talking a packed lunch obviously to save money so it's out with the National Trust Book to see where we can visit which may be free bar some charge for parking. Did a big shop yesterday which came in at £60.42 now normally this would hv been in the £100's and l would still need a mini shop at some point. A few YS items seem to have sneaked into the shop so l must be getting better.
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    The retirement fund is topping up nicely with some good sales this weekend. My concern will be when lve sold the quality items and left with the unsaleable lol. Might be a while till l get to this as lve got lots to go at currently ( just proves l have hoarding tendencies).
    Had the most wonderful and scary revelation today too just 7 pay packets till l finish - wow
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dear shabbychic12. Enjoying reading your thread. I hope you have read mine too as it contains lots of brilliant ideas and comments from many people with plans like yours. I would find it interesting to know your starting point in terms of where you are financially etc... as you work to achieve your plans. I know you may not wish to do this but I found that by being informative and open it encouraged others to respond with ideas and their own situations.
    You certainly seem to be able to save incredibly well. Best of luck and look forward to reading more.
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    Thank you for stopping by and reading my ramblings. Have just had 2 days of no internet( compensation is on its way) so will be resuming normal service asap.
  • shabbychic12
    shabbychic12 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 February 2018 at 2:22AM
    Options
    Well to answer some of exelpauls questions here goes: me and my DH had always from being mid 20's planned to retire in our 50's and as such made plans early on for the mortgage , insurance policies and pensions but when he became ill all that went out the window. Luckily we had critical illness which payed out straight away so DH knew the house was ours finally just not how we imagined it. No champagne or celebration just the knowledge that ld be ok when he wasn't here. He had worked for the NHS 35 years so again the ill health lump sum has meant along with his pension at the moment I don't need to worry.My DD also got a small pension till she was 23 so that helped see her through uni.
    I also used some capital to buy a flat which although he never got to actually see inside he knew l had invested as wisely as l could( this has doubled in value in 4 years and been rented out ever since).l intend to take all my pensions as lump sums asap (55) and invest in property again if l can. As l said l don't expect to be here to draw my pension and l am going to live for now and l'm lucky enough to be in that position( it could all fall down round me like a pack of cards but that's life and l will be ok)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shabbychic12
    Not sure if I missed something but why do you say you will not be here to collect your pensions?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure