Appen Butler-Hill

Options

Comments

271906 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Was put on service level review yesterday. Wasn't worried as it has happened a couple of times and thought I would be retested at the end of the week as normal. A few hours later I was told my contract was terminated. Gutted is not the word. Still in shock. Had some personal problems that must have affected my work last week. Thought I was doing the right thing by just getting on with my work. Wish now I had took a few days off.

I'm really sorry to hear this, especially considering it obviously hasn't been the easiest week for you.

I fully expect to be next on the termination front...

I've been trying to look for alternative employment, but it's turning out to be more difficult than I thought.

I must admit, I am growing ever more tired of constantly being in fear each week that it'll be my last. It's nearly impossible to financially plan when income could just dry up in a matter of days.

Perils of self employment. I would say though to anyone considering this job - it's good whilst it lasts, but it's very much true that it can't be called either permanent or reliable.
    271906 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    MallRat wrote: »
    Weird! Have just finished work for the day, and had a page fail to load properly near the end of my last set of 30. When I looked up, surprise surprise, the elusive "X" was there after all! You only see it when a page is actually loading, its the same in Firefox - try it!

So thank you to 271906 after all. :)

Hopefully it'll help ease the crashes. It's worked pretty well for me so far, although I often have to press the X a few times before it stops loading (that might be due to frustration and lack of patience though!)
  • MallRat
    MallRat Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, they've uploaded the "updated" metrics, but can't say they look very different to me. Not that I looked very closely at everyone else's the first time, but mine definitely seem the same anyway.. After what's happened to Catwoman, I'm now thinking that if you fail to meet the metrics a certain number of times, you automatically get fired. Think its 3 or 4 times so far for me, so like 271906 am not expecting to last too much longer really. :(
  • Cassiopeia01
    Options
    I'm really worried too. I seem to get loads wrong and can't seem to get my speed up however I try. Every week I think I'll be pulled, but haven't so far.
  • Maktina
    Maktina Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    The metrics are the worst part about Appen (along with the technical problems). It's a shame because other search eval jobs aren't as strict. With 'some others' you get a review once a few month, and usually it's based on a large number of ratings so your score evens out (in other words: unlikely to be fired in a flash).
  • Boycieboy
    Options
    Was put on service level review yesterday. Wasn't worried as it has happened a couple of times and thought I would be retested at the end of the week as normal. A few hours later I was told my contract was terminated. Gutted is not the word. Still in shock. Had some personal problems that must have affected my work last week. Thought I was doing the right thing by just getting on with my work. Wish now I had took a few days off.
    So sorry to hear that Catwoman. Why not try out for the other rating companies - LB or LF. Good luck.
  • Catwoman1975
    Options
    MallRat wrote: »
    Well, they've uploaded the "updated" metrics, but can't say they look very different to me. Not that I looked very closely at everyone else's the first time, but mine definitely seem the same anyway.. After what's happened to Catwoman, I'm now thinking that if you fail to meet the metrics a certain number of times, you automatically get fired. Think its 3 or 4 times so far for me, so like 271906 am not expecting to last too much longer really. :(

I cant remember how many I went through. I think it was 4, maybe 5. That was over a 14 month period.
  • Catwoman1975
    Options
    Boycieboy wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that Catwoman. Why not try out for the other rating companies - LB or LF. Good luck.

Thanks! Will be applying to LF this week
  • Cassiopeia01
    Options
    That's awful news! Hope you manage to get something else really soon.
  • MallRat
    MallRat Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I cant remember how many I went through. I think it was 4, maybe 5. That was over a 14 month period.

Wow, you'd been with them a lot longer than the rest of us then too.. The only thing I ever read anywhere is that you're not allowed to miss the metrics 3 times in a 10 week period. Doesn't seem that applies in this market though.

Would be interested to know if you intend to make LF aware of the fact that you worked for Appen, as I haven't heard of any former Appen people trying to get a position at either LF or LB, and am still not sure whether they allow it or not!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback