Comet Sale Starts Tomorrow

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 November 2012 at 11:10AM
    Options
    I sent my dad into Comet on Queens Rd in Sheffield yesterday. He said there was only 10% off. Might pop down tonight to see if they've up'd the discount yet.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2012 at 12:05PM
    Options
    I checked out our local store yesterday.

Outside were huge banners claiming "up to 30% off"

Inside, more banners with "everything must go"

However, there was only 10%, 15% or 20% off most big ticket (>£100) items, depending on item.
    (and some of the 20% off tickets were not a true 20% off e.g. Was £299.99, now £240.01)

All vacuum cleaners were gone, and a couple of items marked 'Not for sale without express permission of DL' (Deloitte Liquidator?) - were these being reclaimed by the creditors who hadn't been paid for them in the first place?

Only 30% off items I saw were a few overpriced smoked glass TV stands and a huge cooker hood.

Small ticket items did not seem reduced except landline telephone handsets which were also reduced 20%

Disclaimer also up saying all original prices were those being used on 6 Nov, but may not have been advertised at that price for at least 28 days.

They were still offering for sale HDMI cables at up to £65.95 each :rotfl:

Interestingly, I noted that the Dixons Group Stores (Currys, PC World, etc) were displaying signs that they were not prepared to accept Comet prices for their price match policy
  • Wywth
    Options
    Also there was a statement that no further discounts were available on every reduced price tag.

So has anyone managed to haggle down an already reduced sale price during this closing down sale?
  • Wywth
    Options
    If you buy an item that's faulty, Deloitte doesn't explicitly say it will refuse to offer a refund or an exchange but it appears that it won't. We are seeking clarification.

The revised refund policy that was on display in my local store did end with:

"Your statutory rights are not affected"

:)
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    They were still offering for sale HDMI cables at up to £65.95 each :rotfl:
    They were selling packs of 10 slimline CD jewel cases for £9.99 yesterday!
    Stompa
  • hackboski
    Options
    to say its meant to be a massive clearance, "all stock must go" sale - some of the reductions are bloody rubbish!:mad:
  • filmburner
    Options
    Visited my Guildford store yesterday and picked up a Nesspresso machine down from 79.00 to 55.00 ideal for me as i needed one for work and they are quite pricey
  • NRBurns
    Options
    I had a look round my local store yesterday as it was announced and I was Shocked. The Maximum discount was 20%, but that was on products that were already too high in price. It's no wonder Comet are going because clearly someone in management is Still too greedy and thinks they can still make loads of money in the down-turn we are in. They are simply in cloud cuckoo land!!
    My advice, shop online via google shopping first and then if you Really Need to go into a Shop (I hate shopping personally but there you go!) chose one that has a better price. Comet are going down,...and I can now see Why they are going down. Someone in management was and still Is Far too greedy!!!
    Neil
    :A
  • deeerok
    Options
    I am hugely disappointed not only by the fact that what I bought 'discounted' was available elsewhere at the same or lower price (had Comet raised their prices before applying discounts?) but the attitude of staff when I went back because my printer came with no leads (the manufacturer promises the 2 which are necessary for operation) in the unsealed box which I was given. For example I was accused of 'trying it on' to get free extra leads as if that would justify the travelling expenses I incurred. NOTHING (even incomplete goods) may be returned for a refund. Stupid me.
  • Annadongela
    Options
    Completely pointless sale!! The Durham shop started its sale today - massive clearout so off I trundled at 9.30 this morning expecting it to be heaving.... what a wast eof time UP TO 10% off most things with the odd accessory such as laptop bags up to 20%. Lots of do not sell unless authorised stickers on them. You would get a much better deal with a normal sale and can definitely get things cheaper on line! grrrr
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure