smallholdingsister's strivings

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Actually Gally our fave choice involves cutting mortgage repayment costs in half...and giving us back some of our travel time.
    That would be great :j
    Karmacat wrote: »
    SHS, at the moment, I'd be really wary of a semi

Seconded - I've always found semis don't have a lot to recommend them :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You'll get there with the selling and buying.
    What's for you won't pass you by.

You are really doing amazing things shs x
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Alex it's easy to say you wouldn't work for money when all you have to do us ask your parents and they will oblige. Most people don't have that option. However, I do think you have a point - SHS you are trying to move and presumably take on a bigger mortgage (or commit a lot if extra money to renovations). That means no potential to step back and possibly cut down on hours - is it really worth the effort to get the 'dream house/lifestyle' if you are never there to enjoy it?

Gally, I can't really see how this is relevant as I've not asked my parents for money in a long time??
    newgirly wrote: »
    It's not working for the money though Alex , its for a roof over the family's head and food for the children, which for me is a very high priority. What else can you do? Most people are not in the position where they can pick and choose what they fancy.

I have scrubbed other peoples toilets and floors over the years and although perhaps not my first choice of job at the time, I felt glad to be doing it and being able to help pay for what they needed. There is a great feeling of satisfaction in that, sorry but not much beats the feeling of independance.

I've been in the situation of having very little money and in the grand scheme of things still don't have much. My wife and I could not afford to be clearing the amount you need to clear on your mortgage per month. In recent years I've seen little money from my parents, unless you count business capital (don't really see how that can count, personally).
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    On a totally different note, walk away from the semi, smallholding. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    There are two lads at school who I taught in y7 and I now have them back in year 9. I thank God for them every day. I think "we need the blackout blinds down" look up and they are doing it without me saying a thing.
    I feel the same about you lot.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Gally, I can't really see how this is relevant as I've not asked my parents for money in a long time??

No, but you have the comfort of knowing that you could if you had to - don't underestimate the value of that.

In recent years I've seen little money from my parents, unless you count business capital (don't really see how that can count, personally).
    I don't see why you wouldn't count it? It's money they've given to you, albeit for a specific purpose (and a positive one at that). If it hadn't been available and you needed finance you would have had to get a loan, which is what the vast majority of other people would have had to do. Again, don't underestimate the value of it.

Sorry Alex, don't mean to have a go at you, but you are in a very privileged position compared to most people.

SMS - sorry for hijack, gave a good day and hope your pupils are ALL well behaved :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »

I've been in the situation of having very little money and in the grand scheme of things still don't have much. My wife and I could not afford to be clearing the amount you need to clear on your mortgage per month. In recent years I've seen little money from my parents, unless you count business capital (don't really see how that can count, personally).

Its not without sacrifices Alex, dh earns ok money as he has spent the last 28 years working his way from apprentice to owner, for many years working seven days a week. It has meant we are now in a house just about big enough near great schools, so the kids have a better future.

My parents are also pretty well off (even though they do spend a lot of it! ) and GG is right, it's a security blanket, if something terrible happens and I could not afford to feed the kids or pay the gas bill I could ask them for a loan , I never have, but its not the same at all as many people who only have themselves and/or their partners to rely on.

Shs I can't comment on the detatched house as I have never lived in one, it does sound nice though! Have a relaxing weekend.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SHS, I've just read your time diary in detail .... good heavens! I'd be under the table halfway through that ... no wonder you don't post much during the week! My sister's a teacher, and works the same kind of schedule you do, but her kids are in their 20s and 30s - I forget, sometimes, that she was also working like this when her kids were the age your kids are, she qualified as a teacher when her youngest was 7. Astonishing workload for such a responsible job.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Collapsed with coffee today. No lunchbreak at all as in a meeting.
    With an hour's marking, at least, on Sunday I reckon its a 46 hour week.

This is less than a lot of people but its 46 pretty intense hours and not too much time wasted though a lot of sleep.

If we got Pavlov's to do it I reckon she does about 70 hours.

And Earthie?
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If we got Pavlov's to do it I reckon she does about 70 hours.

I've never sat and counted for fear of being thoroughly depressed by the outcome. I doubt/hope it isn't as high as 70, but 50-60 would not surprise me in the least. One of the problems I face is that we have fewer contact hours with exam classes than we should have, meaning that the school can cope with fewer teachers if we have large class sizes. Over a two week timetable I teach 14 different classes, 7 of which are exam classes, and 9 of which have more than 30 pupils in. Marking is the bane of my life. I am also a form tutor and mentor to PGCE students.

I am making a conscious effort this year to address my work/life balance and wellbeing. I have resolved not to bring exercise books home, and am trying to ensure I get a minimum of 7 hours sleep a night. I will spend this weekend marking coursework (I have spent the past 2 weekends successfully procrastinating), but the pay off is that I will do no school work during half term whilst I am on my holibobs.

How people teach and juggle a family is beyond me. There are simply not enough hours in the day to get to be 'you', 'Miss' and 'Mum' whilst doing justice to all three roles.

SHS - is there anything you could do on a weekend to save time and sanity during the week? Batch cooking for example? Are you roping the smalls in to help with tasks like un/loading the washer, setting the table etc?

What capacity is your WM? I know you are a family of 5(?) plus furbabies, but you seem to have a lot of laundry. Could a larger machine allow you to do fewer loads during a week?

food shop - could you plan and shop for 2-3 weeks worth of meals at a time, so that the 'weekly shop' is a quick jaunt for perishables? Could that in turn be done en route to/from school/church/pony club etc? (although I suspect rural dwelling you might be having a wry smile at my city dwelling supermarkets-conveniently-dotted-here-and-there expense :D).

MAKE time for some me time this weekend Mrs... you are no use to anyone if you burn out. Put on your own oxygen mask first, and all that jazz.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family