Making cards - Ideas for a card craft beginner (part 2)

Options

Comments

• debsy1963
    Options
    Just like to say thanks for all the comments
    and everyones cards are great.
  • Marg
    Marg Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    What a fantastic selection of cards Everyone! & posted so quick since I last looked I went to watch a bit of tv & it's all happened........!
    Melissa75 - know how it feels when you think they may bin your efforts - I always save my cards for at least 12 months even longer for special birthdays.
    Gemma85 - Good Luck with persuading OH to get a cat (or 2!) many many years ago I offered my OH the choice of going to a dance or go & get a cat we've had cats ever since........he HATES dancing!
    Saveapenny & CT19720 - I've saved your Arsenal stuff and the badge you sent me as it's not his b'day 'til October I wont forget.
    Polly - Gosh what a bad time you've had I'm even more scared now in case mine goes wrong
  • furrypig
    furrypig Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks yet again for sharing all your cards and sorry not to name everyone individually!

Also sorry I had a complete mental blosk yesterday and called Polly Poppy, not sure why I was confused or maybe hit the wrong keys on the computer!! Anyway, miss you Polly hope all your DT work is going well.

I am happy to have a sketch challenge, I often look at some of the sketch challenges for inspiration/ideas. I like the Di Hackman ones which we couold easily use or something similar.

Look forward to finding out what we are all doing next xxx
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    melissa75 wrote: »
    DSC00008.jpg
    and the insides:
    DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg

Your card is stunning, I would have wanted to get it back too!!!
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Brilliant cards everyone, all so different :T :T :T

Polly, sounds like you've been through the mill and back again with your teeth, it will all be worth it once they are sorted ;)

I am happy going with the sketch theme now I understand what it is ;), first of all I thought I had to draw a design for the card :eek:

Who is going to supply the sketch for us all to work with?

Hope you're all doing ok today, DS1 is off to football training this morning (and me and DS1 are going to Hobbycraft for a wander - we were going to go to an indoor play centre but with a poorly collarbone I didn't think that was the best idea, being pushed round Hobbycraft eating biscuits to keep him quiet sounds like a much better plan ;)).

I'm off to see my wedding stationery lady tonight and hopefully will be coming home with some orders to make :D
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • orchid-96
    Options
    Wow, had a bit more of a look through on here and the cards are all so fantastic, I bet I won't even get close to as good as them, but I am looking forward to giving it a go (spent a fair bit in Hobby Craft yesterday so I need to make some at least)...I got a few kits whilst I was in there, they are the ones that say 9.99 with £20 worth of stuff in but they are priced at £5.86, so got 3 and 1 actually went through at £3.99!!.....I think they are good for beginners as they do have loads of stuff in, including the blank cards, some thick paper, stamps and lots of stickers/toppers....

I have looked at a few craft sites showing projects and notice a lot of people seem to do embossing....can anyone tell me how that works, and what I would need to do it? Think I should start small with stick ons and the like, but I would like to know whether it is worth doing embossing, if it isn't too expensive to get the stuff...

Melissa75 I love your card, looks really special (and complicated) If I got that card, I would never throw it away......

Gemma85 your valentine card is gorgeous, on the cat front, can't ever get one as DH is really alergic (he suffers really bad with his chest and skin when we visit my Mum who has a cat)...have a little doggie though...

Keep up all the great work guys (I need all the inspiration I can get)...

Just a quick question if anyone can help, is there any way of changing my username without starting all over etc....(I have my reasons!!)
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • paddingtondoo
    Options
    Beautiful cards everyone - I hate it too when you spend ages making someone a card and you know it's going in the bin so I'm selective how long I take making them for some people now.

I can put together a lick it and stick it one in about 10 mins now so I don't mind that too much :rotfl:.

Orchid-96 - you need a load of stuff for embossing - rubber stamps, ink pads, embossing powder and a heat gun - but it gives a fantastic raised effect - I go through phases with it and haven't done any for ages as I've bought so much paper recently so have been playing with that - next week it will be brad and eyelets as have just ordered a load in the crafty devils pound shop :rotfl:. And I rteated myself to s crop o dile on Saturday :o.

My treat for today is to make a wedding card after DD goes to bed - she has her friend coming over to play this afternoon so will be crawling the walls
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended :p
  • melissa75_2
    Options
    Orchid - I have no idea how to go about changing your username! Paddingtondoo mentioned the things you need to do heat embossing, but there's also dry embossing, (card making is confusing). This is where you put textured patterns onto your card or paper. A lot of people use cuttlebugs to do this but the machine is quite expensive. I'm sure you can buy individual plates that you just put your paper on top of of and then rub over with a special tool. I have never done it myself - so my advice is a bit limited.
  • melissa75_2
    Options
    Paddingtondoo - I love that phrase - a "lick and stick it one".
  • mumhug
    mumhug Posts: 664 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi orchid the dry embossing is normally using an embossing tool (like a pen witha litte ball on the end) You put a stencil under your card/paper and use your embossing tool to kind of rub into the groves of the stencil.When you have done turn your card/paper over and you should have a raised design of the stencil. The whole thing is made easier if you have a light box as you can see the stencil design through the card.

Sorry reading through what i have written it sounds complicated but its really not. just me being rubbish at explaining:rotfl:
    In Perfect love and Perfect Trust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport