Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• warmy
    warmy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Malc thanks 4 your reply there is gas at the property and the meters are quite close together but not to worry thanks 4 all you info on the subject
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    You're welcome warmy. Happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • However
    However Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I switched to the uSwitch Collective from E.on's Fixed 1yr V15, effective 20th Oct. To ensure billing accuracy, I submitted meter readings 9th Oct under old tariff and 27th Oct under new tariff.

Bill just generated - E.on have simply ignored my readings and estimated their own - for electricity theirs is lower whereas for gas theirs is higher, where their 20th Oct estimate is higher than my actual submitted on the 27th. Their 20th estimate WAS NOT ON THE SYSTEM when I submitted my readings on 27th. Clearly, E.on have completely ignored my meter readings. WHY?

There is no point in formally complaining because this is the second time this has happened to me THIS YEAR, when I switched from MSE Collective to Fixed V15. And I find people were complaining of exactly the same thing even back in 2010.

The amounts at issue may be relatively trivial, but E.On why do you think it's OK to aggravate me by deliberately ignoring my submitted meter readings. I go to the bother of submitting the damn things - and I expect you to go to the bother of recognising them. This is the second time you've been caught out taking this cavalier approach. You need to understand this sort of behaviour does nothing to regain respect and trust, certainly not mine.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    However wrote: »
    I switched to the uSwitch Collective from E.on's Fixed 1yr V15, effective 20th Oct. To ensure billing accuracy, I submitted meter readings 9th Oct under old tariff and 27th Oct under new tariff.

Bill just generated - E.on have simply ignored my readings and estimated their own - for electricity theirs is lower whereas for gas theirs is higher, where their 20th Oct estimate is higher than my actual submitted on the 27th. Their 20th estimate WAS NOT ON THE SYSTEM when I submitted my readings on 27th. Clearly, E.on have completely ignored my meter readings. WHY?

There is no point in formally complaining because this is the second time this has happened to me THIS YEAR, when I switched from MSE Collective to Fixed V15. And I find people were complaining of exactly the same thing even back in 2010.

The amounts at issue may be relatively trivial, but E.On why do you think it's OK to aggravate me by deliberately ignoring my submitted meter readings. I go to the bother of submitting the damn things - and I expect you to go to the bother of recognising them. This is the second time you've been caught out taking this cavalier approach. You need to understand this sort of behaviour does nothing to regain respect and trust, certainly not mine.

All readings given by the customer go through an independent third party which looks at historical usage data. There are limits . If the readings fall within the industry agreed tolerances then no dispute can be raised. When I switched away from E.oN in August, the gas reading given to my new supplier on the day of the switch was adjusted upwards by 105C3Ms. I passed the adjusted closing/opening reading last week!!
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    However wrote: »

Hi However

I'm sorry we've caused you aggravation. Think I can see what's happened here. Even though you've changed tariff, billing continues on its usual cycle. We use what's known as a 'billing window.' For quarterly billed customers, this is open 14 days either side of the bill date. The first set of readings received whilst the window is open automatically generate a bill. Readings given outside of the window are noted but not used for billing. If we don't receive readings during the window, we'll use estimates.

I suspect the readings you gave were outside the window and so not used for billing. To make sure your readings are used, there's an online tool called 'Real Time Billing.' When you enter readings, there's an option to see the balance that would result or actually create a bill. If you go for 'request a bill,' we'll issue one there and then to your readings. You need to be logged on to your online account to do this.

We've used 'billing windows' for quite a time so I also suspect your tariff change earlier this year was affected similarly. Probably those you mention in 2010 too.

Again, I'm sorry we've aggravated you but please be assured we're not deliberately ignoring your readings. We're very grateful for readings customers give us. It's just that, in this case, a timing issue has caused estimates to be used. I understand you see this more as a matter of principle rather than a cost thing but we'll be happy to re-bill the account if you contact us.

Hope this helps explain However and that the 'Real Time Billing' option is useful going forward.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    All readings given by the customer go through an independent third party which looks at historical usage data. There are limits . If the readings fall within the industry agreed tolerances then no dispute can be raised. When I switched away from E.oN in August, the gas reading given to my new supplier on the day of the switch was adjusted upwards by 105C3Ms. I passed the adjusted closing/opening reading last week!!

You're spot on for a change of supplier Hengus. However has, though, gone from one E.ON tariff to another. This has caused a different issue as per my post above. Hope this explains.

Malc
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're spot on for a change of supplier Hengus. However has, though, gone from one E.ON tariff to another. This has caused a different issue as per my post above. Hope this explains.

Malc

Mea culpa.
  • However
    However Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Malc, I hope you've misunderstood. I'll try again:

If I tell you on 27th Oct the reading is 29472 which you accepted and recorded, how on earth can you raise a bill on 3rd Dec with an estimate of 29508 on 20th Oct? Without so much as a by-your-leave?

You should have created an estimate for 20th Oct based on the readings I gave you on 9th Oct (29380) and 27th Oct (29472). You have no excuse whatsoever estimating 29508; you simply cannot justify a process which ignores the facts and figures placed in front of you.

You have a systemic problem. Fix it. Please.
    Options
    Understand the frustration and you're right However. This is how things currently work and I've sent your comments through to the relevant people who deal with system changes/complaints. As it stands, we base estimates on usage over the past 12 months. As we didn't have a reading for 20 October, we'll have estimated based on the previous 12 months. This is complicated a little where we don't have a full 12 months usage. In these cases, usually involving a change of supplier, we rely on the usage history given us as part of the switching journey.

This doesn't mean your reading was ignored. It'll have been recorded and will be used as part of the ongoing assessment of usage at the property. All actual readings received go to continually building a picture of energy usage and feed through to any future estimates that might be needed. At the moment, the best way of making sure your readings are used when given outside of the billing window is by using the 'Real Time Billing' tool I spoke about.

Sorry we're unable to do what you want at the moment but this has been logged with the relevant people.

Malc
  • However
    Options
    Understand the frustration and you're right However. This is how things currently work and I've sent your comments through to the relevant people who deal with system changes/complaints. As it stands, we base estimates on usage over the past 12 months. As we didn't have a reading for 20 October, we'll have estimated based on the previous 12 months. This is complicated a little where we don't have a full 12 months usage. In these cases, usually involving a change of supplier, we rely on the usage history given us as part of the switching journey.

This doesn't mean your reading was ignored. It'll have been recorded and will be used as part of the ongoing assessment of usage at the property. All actual readings received go to continually building a picture of energy usage and feed through to any future estimates that might be needed. At the moment, the best way of making sure your readings are used when given outside of the billing window is by using the 'Real Time Billing' tool I spoke about.

Sorry we're unable to do what you want at the moment but this has been logged with the relevant people.

Malc

I'm pleased that you've recognised the problem. Let me help you a bit more by observing:-

<<As we didn't have a reading for 20 October, we'll have estimated based on the previous 12 months.>>
    You didn't ask for a reading, and there was no way I could be aware of the actual date because you only informed me on 27th October - seven days after the event. Your estimate was made on 3rd Dec when you DID have relevant readings, so that argument just doesn't wash.

<<This doesn't mean your reading was ignored.>>
    It WAS ignored. My advice is to look at things from the customer's point of view, not your internal process point of view. If my meter readings haven't been taken into account when calculating a bill (real money, not ongoing assessments), they HAVE been ignored. Plain English. No ifs, no buts.

As for 'Real-Time Billing', I simply do not understand the logic. Your contract with me is for quarterly billing so I fail to see why everytime time I enter a meter reading you require that I demand a bill be raised before you will notice my reading. Raise it yourself for goodness sake, if that's what makes you happy. My assessment is that your process for estimating usage falls short of satisfactory.

I won't go on any more. I'll mention this to the regulator, as part of the broader picture of billing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback