Flo's Debt Free Diary

Options

Comments

• Karonher
    Options
    Good luck with the job applications. I work for education agencies, and over the past few years have worked virtually all of the school terms. Hope the ones you have applied to are as good.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Karonher wrote: »
    Good luck with the job applications. I work for education agencies, and over the past few years have worked virtually all of the school terms. Hope the ones you have applied to are as good.

Thank you, the temp agency is the one I was briefly with last summer, it can be a good way to get an 'in' at the Universities in Cardiff.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Well I have just bought the final lot of my side of the family gifts, so I am about 90% set for Christmas. What remains left to buy are:

A cushion for niece (got her one of those emoji sequin cushion covers where when you brush it it changes face, so naturally can't leave her without a cushion)

A bottle of wine for Step Mum (Part of her gift is a wine decanter, so again naturally I can't leave her without wine)

OH's Sister's XMas Present

OH's Sister's Birthday Present (born on the 27th of Dec)

OH's Parents Main Gift (1/3 split of present)

OH's Parents stocking gifts (1/3 split of present)

I have bought all of OH's gifts and my family's gifts almost exclusively with amazon vouchers, so I have 'spent' about £200 of gifts so far and in terms of money leaving my account it has cost me about £36.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done on the present buying Florence! £36 spent for £200 worth of gifts is excellent money saving. :j

Your OH’s sister’s birthday is the same as my DD’s Step-son. You’ve reminded me that I’ve got to get his card and allocate his birthday money from my gifts budget on YNAB.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Well done on the present buying Florence! £36 spent for £200 worth of gifts is excellent money saving. :j

Your OH’s sister’s birthday is the same as my DD’s Step-son. You’ve reminded me that I’ve got to get his card and allocate his birthday money from my gifts budget on YNAB.

I learnt about 2 years ago the hard way, that I need to include the family December and January birthday presents in the Christmas budget, otherwise I kill myself trying to pay for Christmas and then remember the birthdays!

I have posted all my family/OH's family Christmas Cards - I saved money by writing them very early and sending them second class.

Total spends on Christmas this year is £81.65, which includes cards, wrapping paper, stamps, postage for bigger items/international items and all my family's gifts. I think the only big costs left are the Boxing Day football ticket and all of OH's gifts, which will be about £80.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on doing such a frugal Christmas Flo.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Well done on doing such a frugal Christmas Flo.

Thank you :D
  • Florence_J
    Options
    I've got 'sort of' good news.

It went well at the Temp agency, I had been with them in 2016 so the process was quite straightforward as they already had all my previous details and references. I just had to do an excel and word test, which I was a bit scared about but I got 80% + on both (and the pass rate was 40%) . They just need references from my last two line managers (the work I had done since being with their temp agency).

Anyway, they were supplying a lot of staff for big governmental organisations, and one has accepted me and would like me to join them. It is dependent on references and a DBS check. The DBS check I had to pay for (£31) but I get it back after 6 weeks of employment.

I am a bit nervous. Since I have never even been in a Police station for any reason needless to say I passed the DBS fine and I got it back today. BUT, anyone who has read my diary from start to finish will know about the business I once had years and years ago about starting a job without a reference and then the ... erm ... 'see you next Tuesday' of a line manager at my old job, the one I was forced out of by bullying towards me, she gave me a bad reference and I lost the new job I had started. It is sad to say that that job I was let go from was still the only full time permanent job I have ever had....

So although I know how hard I have worked, and I am on good terms with my previous line manager from my latest role, there is still the fact I was signed off for 4 weeks with stress and anxiety, so even if that hadn't have happened I would still be anxious about this waiting for references business given my past experience.

So, because I am always expecting the worst to happen to me, I am not going to get my party hat on until I am safely in the role, but if anyone else wants to crack out the party hats and prosecco then go for it :D
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Also it was my 2 year anniversary recently of joining MSE Forum, but I celebrate the date I started this Debt Free Diary, which was the 6th December 2015, so I will definitely be cracking out the party hats, beers, and any other happy emoji's that MSE offers on that day.
  • Florence_J
    Options
    :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

:T :T :T :T :T :T

_party__party__party__party__party__party_

Welcome to my 2 year Anniversary Party!!!!!!

2 years ago today I started my debt free diary. My situation at that time was pretty dire. If I had continued to bend the plastic credit card friends then it would have been a matter of weeks before my minimum payments on my high interest bad credit credit cards would have resulted in a negative income.

I knew I was about two bad decisions away from breaking point. I have made some very stupid decisions in life, but I finally had the sense to see what I was doing was crazy.

Before starting my debt free diary I had ordered all of Martin Lewis's books (I will gloss over the fact it was on a credit card) and the universe seemed to be smiling at me as the parcel got lost in the post and because I had bought them through second hand sellers Spamazon refunded me the money. The parcel turned up the next day....

So my situation has been up down round and round and all over the place, I have not been able to prevent the borrowing of money during the last two years but I have made great progress - most notably this year.

I may not reach my debt free date of my 30th Birthday in March 2019, but I am doing far more to help myself then not. I know I will get there.

Have a :beer: on me, I couldn't have done it without your support. xxxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills