Water meters - pros and cons?

Options

Comments

• Severnsheep
    Options
    Has any one any experience of negotiating a reduction on waste because of a fitted rainwater harvesting tank?
    We have a unit that supplies our toilets & garden and used for car washing - so we save incoming water, BUT if we ask for a credit on the standing charges will the water company demand an additional charge on un unmetered waste?
    Experience counts- anyone?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 November 2014 at 6:49PM
    Options
    How do you work that out - if you are using harvested rainwater then presumably you have less coming through your meter. Depending who your water company is they charge you for disposal of sewerage based on the volumes coming through your meter.

However you are chucking a lot more than your metered quantity down the sewers so you are actually getting a reduction because you are disposing more water than you pay for. In fact you are already getting a good deal.

You are still liable for the incoming and outgoing standing charges unless you decide to go off grid completely and dispose of your own waste water
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Has any one any experience of negotiating a reduction on waste because of a fitted rainwater harvesting tank?
    We have a unit that supplies our toilets & garden and used for car washing - so we save incoming water, BUT if we ask for a credit on the standing charges will the water company demand an additional charge on un unmetered waste?
    Experience counts- anyone?

As indicated above, in theory with a rainwater harvesting tank you should pay extra rather than get a reduction.

As an example say you are supplied with 100m3 of water a year and use 10m3 of your harvested rainwater for toilets. That 10m3 water from the toilets enters the sewer system. So you have escaped payment on 10m3 of sewerage charges.
  • dazaozi
    Options
    Will give it a go. If no improvement within 6 months then we will change back at no cost.
  • sawanderer
    sawanderer Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 March 2015 at 5:49PM
    Options
    In the Cut Water Bills article, it states:
    You've a year to try it out. Switch to a water meter and, if you change your mind, you can switch back within 12 months, or a month after your second measured bill, whichever's later. So you can try it to see if it works out for you. But if you move into a home that already has a meter, you can't switch back.
    Does anyone know where this comes from? Ofwat, water companies, or urban myth?

I am looking at asking Affinity Central to install a water meter, but in their terms and conditions it states:
    Once our technicians have advised that your meter is fitted, we will make the necessary changes to your account and send you a revised bill. Once your account is switched to metered charges you cannot go back to unmetered charges.
    I am cautious to ask for a meter, unless there is an option to switch back, as the calculators suggest we would be saving less than £50 a year, so I'm worried we may end up spending more.

Thanks all...
  • Cardew
    Options
    sawanderer wrote: »
    In Does anyone know where this comes from? Ofwat, water companies, or urban myth?

It comes from Ofwat

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/mediacentre/leaflets/prs_lft_101117meters.pdf

If you choose to have a meter installed, you can
    switch back to your previous method of charging
    within the first 12 months.
  • Mykidsmum
    Mykidsmum Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Is Affinity Water in a compulsory water meter area whereby when a meter has been fitted there is no option to revert to RV billing? The terms and conditions from Affinity Central that you have quoted sounds to me like this is what happens after a compulsory meter has been fitted.
  • Cardew
    Options
    Good thinking - we would need to see the context of the quote in post#486.

In every area of UK the water companies can insist on a meter being fitted on change of account holder; albeit some companies don't bother. In that case it is obvious that you cannot revert to a meter.

Also in some areas that the Government have designated as water shortage areas, even long term occupants will have a compulsory meter fitted.
  • sawanderer
    sawanderer Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Good thinking - we would need to see the context of the quote in post#486.

It comes from the T&Cs section of the Apply for a Water Meter form at:
    https://www.affinitywater.co.uk/apply-for-a-water-meter.aspx

There is a compulsory meter installation planned for July 2018 (which gives a maximum two year optional opt out following installation) but I am thinking of asking for a meter now, and it looks like Affinity are saying there is no opt-back-out option if I follow this route.

The entire T&Cs page is as follows:
    Bill arrangements following your meter fit

Your non-metered charges will apply until the meter has been fitted. Once our technicians have advised that your meter is fitted, we will make the necessary changes to your account and send you a revised bill. Once your account is switched to metered charges you cannot go back to unmetered charges.

If you pay monthly, we will write to tell you the new monthly amount and send you a new payment book, if applicable, or a new payment schedule if you pay by Direct Debit. We will take into account any payments you have already made.

I authorise Affinity Water to carry out survey work to decide if a meter can be installed at my
    property. Where possible, I would like the meter fitted in the same visit.

I confirm that I am the account holder.
  • Cardew
    Options
    Totally agree there is ambiguity; but I suspect Affinity water do not mean 'you cannot go back to unmetered charges' when you have applied yourself.

It will just take an email to Affinity to confirm the situation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback