PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What's in my organic fruit & veg box today!

Options
For the last 5 months I have had a £14 box of organic fruit and veg from Fair Organic delivered every fortnight. It varies slightly today I recieved:-

1kg potatoes
500g carrots
500g onions
1 bunch celery
1 pointed cabbage
1 cauliflower
200g mushrooms
600g apples
600g bananas
800g oranges

The quality is always good but as from next term I will be reducing my hours at work (I have been diagnosed with CFS and have to pace myself better) I have to also reduce my outgoings. The question is now whether to:-
a) continue with this and at least be eating healthy organic food
b) look around for something cheaper
c) cancel this entirely (would not be happy with this as I love getting my box)

Wondered if anyone else gets a box delivered and if so how much is it and what is in it?

Could we do a "what did you receive in your box today" thread like on the freebies board?
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120

Comments

• Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I would find ways of cutting down on other expenses and keep eating decent food. After all, you are putting that stuff in your mouth..

Where did you find you box delivery scheme? I have had a dig around on the internet and come up blank.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You can find Fair Organics here

Yes I guess you are right I should probably be getting a box weekly! :)
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    Pal wrote:
    Personally I would find ways of cutting down on other expenses and keep eating decent food. After all, you are putting that stuff in your mouth..

Where did you find you box delivery scheme? I have had a dig around on the internet and come up blank.

My local independent health food shop has a notice board and a display of leaflets, giving info on local box schemes. That might be a good starting point.
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Would one possible solution be to get your box every 3 weeks or every month instead, and "top up" with other veg as required? Have you checked if the company you use do any smaller or less frequent boxes?
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't know about less frequent deliveries as being organic the produce doesn't last very long! They do however do smaller boxes though. I just wondered if other companies did similar boxes at a more competative price and roughly what the produce was like although I do appreciate that they do vary from week to week. I know that Abel and Cole deliver locally, don't know what they are like though.

Also like the idea that produce is mostly locally sourced :) Will check out my local health food shop for information when I am next in town.

• crana999
    Options
    I was thinking that perhaps then you would still have the benefits of organic veg, supporting the scheme etc, but you wouldn't have to buy as much from them..you could get the box less often and in between top up with organic or non organic veg from the supermarket or market.. Don't know if that'd work out cheaper or not for you
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ive tried various organic box schemes, and fair oganics is by far the best, as in what you get for your money

o/t - did you get any dates recently?, they were delicious

one thing you could do, is go for the large family box (£20) and have it delivered fortnightly, not much of a saving, but every little helps - i have found it just about keeps for 2 wks

or if you have school age kids, get their school to sign up for the veg in schools promotion - organic fruit and veg, at a subsidised price - £7
  • crana999
    Options
    catznine gets the £14 box delivered every 2 weeks, so getting a £20 box every 2 weeks isn't really going to help
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love the idea of getting good food delivered to my door, but i would still need to buy more potatoes as 1kg wouldnt last me 5 minutes.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Judi wrote:
    I love the idea of getting good food delivered to my door, but i would still need to buy more potatoes as 1kg wouldnt last me 5 minutes.

I have a Riverford box, you can order extra potatoes to be delivered with your veg box.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure