Railcard discount for oyster prepay

Options

Comments

• dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    Whitehall wrote: »
    Following the above, my son lives and works in London N6 he has a disability rail card and always uses the Bus as the tube is very intimidating for a person with not good balance !! I know he also uses an Oyster card will this be of help to him ?

No - the Oyster card will already be capping daily bus journeys at £3 and I don't think there's a further reduction for a railcard. Might still be worth registering though in case of an occasional emergency tube journey
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dzug wrote: »
    That shouldn't have totalled £15 - unless you went out as far as zone 5.

I <think> there has to be a minimum sum on an Oyster to work the tube barriers - not sure what it is. Maybe this was the problem - and in fact there is a small sum left on the card 'refunded' when you last swiped out.

Hi

We only travelled from Old Street to Leicester square, Oxford St etc, as well as Canary wharf on the DLR from Canning Town, didnt go out of Zone 1 and always checked we clicked out? I saw from the Tuesday it had deducted £9 which I thought was excessive, I entered £15 online prior to going, so maybe next time I will take the 3 day daytickets, you live and learn. Thanks HC
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Worth checking your Oyster, I have just rang the lovely people at Oyster and they went through my cards with me, apparently their system failed to pick up the journey start time on the 15th and didnt cap the prices, which is why it cost £9 on one day. They have refunded £4 on each card which I am happy with and they were very pleasant.

So the moral is check and give them a call if unsure. Now I am a happychappy:D
  • Victors_Bruvver
    Options
    intheory wrote: »
    Transport for London have introduced a discount daily price cap for holders of National Rail Railcards who use Oyster pay-as-you-go. The eligible Railcards are: Disabled Persons, HM Forces, Senior and Young Persons.

You save 1/3 on the standard adult daily price cap. For example, it will cost £3.10 for a day's unlimited travel in zones 1 and 2, instead of the standard £4.80. The discount only applies to off-peak travel (which I think is any time after 9.30am).

To activate the discount you need to get it loaded onto your Oyster card by taking it, with your Railcard, to any tube ticket office.

It's a new scheme so when I asked the staff didn't know about it, but you can point to the details on page 14 of the new Guide to Fares leaflet available at the station or from here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/guide-to-fares-and-tickets-08-01-02.pdf
    This thread has gone off topic slightly but I would like to say thanks for the 'heads up' on linking the Oyster card with a Travel Card, it is really useful!

I made a point yesteday to go to the booking office at Charing Cross Underground station to get my crumbly card linked with my Oyster card which has previously been registered online. However, when the very helpful ticket office guy tried to find it on their computer system, it was not recognised. No problem as he suggested I should fill out a form to register with all my details and after 10 or so minutes all was okay and I was off on my journey around central London with another little discount - thanks intheory!!
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    i currently pay £4.80 for an off peak 1-6 travelcard with YP Railcard... are u saying if this was on my oyster card it would be 1/3 off the £4.80?!
  • ticketcollector
    Options
    Just to let you know, this may be a fault with the oyster system but once youve reached your £3.10 cap your oystercard still needs to have a minimum £1.50 on it in order to go through the tube barriers. It wont take any money off the £1.50 but have £1.45 on it and it will reject you through the barriers.

I have reported this to TfL but wont expect anything back.
    Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
    Ticket routing and rules expert.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
    Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
  • dzug
    Options
    I made a point yesteday to go to the booking office at Charing Cross Underground station to get my crumbly card linked with my Oyster card which has previously been registered online. However, when the very helpful ticket office guy tried to find it on their computer system, it was not recognised. No problem as he suggested I should fill out a form to register with all my details and after 10 or so minutes all was okay and I was off on my journey around central London with another little discount - thanks intheory!!

I found the same problem - registering on line does not show up on the station computer system. You have to fill in the paper form as well.
  • dzug
    Options
    chuckley wrote: »
    i currently pay £4.80 for an off peak 1-6 travelcard with YP Railcard... are u saying if this was on my oyster card it would be 1/3 off the £4.80?!

No - read the original post. You get something off (60p), but not one third. And it has to be PAYG Oyster
  • Victors_Bruvver
    Options
    dzug wrote: »
    I found the same problem - registering on line does not show up on the station computer system. You have to fill in the paper form as well.
    Sorry if I am taking this off thread again but looking at the Oyster website, it may be the fact that all my top ups have been made at the booking office. If I were to top up on line and confirm this when I touch in at the nominated station the next day, it will then recognise it from there on in. I don't know if it is me but I do not find the Oyster site very user friendly.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to let you know, this may be a fault with the oyster system but once youve reached your £3.10 cap your oystercard still needs to have a minimum £1.50 on it in order to go through the tube barriers. It wont take any money off the £1.50 but have £1.45 on it and it will reject you through the barriers.

I have reported this to TfL but wont expect anything back.
    i do this for when i use the bus. i always put on £3.50 just 'incase' to cover the cap @ £3. my 50p always remains but im scared that if i just put on £3 and use 3 journeys that it wont work anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure