PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezer Jenga!

Options

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Realistically I don't think I am going to be able to check my garage freezer until the weekend. It's dark when I get home from work, and the (tall, upright) freezer door blocks the garage light when opened so it's a bit too gloomy to see anything. I suppose I could wear a head torch.

This morning in the half-light before I left for work I had a quick rummage and took out a one-litre screw top plastic container of parsnip and apple soup which I will have for lunch today and tomorrow so that's a little bit of space freed up.

Islandmaid: for sweetcorn, I like to make fritters. Just stir the kernels into some thick batter, add whatever seasonings you like (a touch of chilli is nice) and pan fry dollops of it. Lovely with salad.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Islandmaid ,dare I ask where's the other half gone !!! :):):).not been to any odd meeting on the Isalnd at all has he that incurs the wearing of black robes :):):) or perhaps been doing a spot of rustling at the back of the Island at all :):):).Sounds like a lot of goat curry in the New Year in your house :)
    Re the sweetcorn my late OH loathed with a passion sweetcorn and considered it the food of choice for 'Old Nick' himself. I did read somewhere that it was of no nutritious value to eat at all (hence you add butter to corn cobs I suppose :)) I like it probably best mixed with tinned tuna in salads or spread on crackers or in jacket spuds It does help to streeetch the meal out a bit I also chuck some into soups or stews for the same reason.,or add to quiches for a bit more texture and filler upper. I would think you could add it to almost anything that has a strong flavour for bulk

JackieO
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Jackie O - I don't know what you could possibly mean, it's all right n proper :D It's one of them 'I know a bloke' things ;)

It started with a conversation with a local cheese maker, and I pointed out that it was daft that we could buy Goats milk and goats cheese but not goat meat - they told me there was no call for it, and I said they should try it and they would be surprised.

They tried selling it, and its flying off the shelves :D I believe if you are going to farm an animal, make the most of it and use it all, the boys aren't much use for much else, I used to grown my own Goats/sheep and pigs, but circumstances change but we are very lucky to have a wide range of game, fish and local meats to hand.

Hence the freezer issues :rotfl:

Thanks for the sweetcorn suggestions, I will give 'em a go
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmm

I'm emptying the freezers, I'm letting mum and hubby know I'm emptying the freezers, and guess what?

Mother is filling them up with ICECREAM:eek::eek::eek:

Why do I bother ? :wall:
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Interesting thread!

I've had to teach myself a lot of life freezer lessons over the years. Too many times I could not identify what the heck was in there!

Now have four drawer freezer. I am getting much better at only buying what I need and actually like.

Top drawer is fast freeze so meat and leftovers go in there.
    Next one down is for veg and home made mash/roasties/croquettes.
    Next is for treats like ice cream, desserts, pies and so on, and a bit of room for things that can't fit anywhere else.
    Bottom drawer is for bread.

I now can open the freezer door and know roughly what type of food is where.

It's an ongoing battle though!
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Mother is filling them up with ICECREAM:eek::eek::eek:

If you need some help with the Icecream mountain - I,m your girl :D
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    If you need some help with the Icecream mountain - I,m your girl :D

She's just back in from tesco, I can hear the freezer door opening and closing :eek
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Interesting thread!

I've had to teach myself a lot of life freezer lessons over the years. Too many times I could not identify what the heck was in there!
    That's another thing I always do - label and date everything that goes in.

I must confess I'm a bit anal. :o
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have loads and loads of redcurrants. in boxes in bags everywhere. help what can i do with them as I need the space. Any ideas. Please
  • Lance_De_Boils
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    I decided to empty the freezer yesterday and repack in an orderly fashion, apart from finding 2 bags of sweetcorn (ideas to use up would be appreciated) I spyed a glimpse of white shelf when I had prepacked it all.

Then Hubby comes home with half a goat!! After a bit of knife wealding, I managed to wedge it in there - looks like we are having Goat for Christmas :D

I went back to tinned sweetcorn because I didn't think frozen sweetcorn was worth the freezer space it took up.

My favourite use for frozen sweetcorn was to microwave a big bowl of it with an obscene amount of butter. Then scoff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure