PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Desperate for a particular house

Options
Hello All

After some advice really. So after waiting for months for a property to come on the market that ticks all of our boxes, one finally came on the market 2 weeks ago

We viewed and loved it and put our house on the market with the same agent on Friday. We live in a popular area and things tend to sell quickly. So far we have had 5 viewings all of which said the house was too small for what they needed. Not a lot I can do about that, but we have decided to take some furniture out today (armchair in living room and wardrobe in bedroom) to make it appear more spacious. More pictures will be loaded tomorrow to show this…

Today the agent tells me they have had a lowball offer on the house we wanted to buy – he thinks it will be rejected. I laid my cards on the table and said what I was willing to pay for the house if ours should sell for close to asking price, and he said he will feed this back to the vendor as it is significantly more than the other people have offered. I am not sure what to do, we are desperate for this house. I talked to the agent about dropping the price of ours – it’s fairly priced considering the competition but I am worried there is quite a lot on the market in the same bracket at the moment. I said about dropping £10k then offering £10k less on the house we wanted to buy. He said have a think about it overnight…

Another thought was to offer to rent the house we want to buy until we sold ours?

Any advice appreciated thank you!

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Put your house on the market, get an offer and then look for properties.

Doing it your way you find houses that you want that youre in no position to buy.

Personally i wouldnt rush to drop the price of my house if i thought thats what its value was. It also highlights that youre desperate so expect every offer to be taking you for a ride.

It does sounds like things are all moving quickly so it might all work out for you (5 viewings in a few days is pretty good). I would leave it at im prepared to pay £xxx however need to sell my house. Id expect them to say something like 'we'll accept (if its acceptable to them) but keeping it on the market as youre high risk'. Fair enough. When im in a position to proceed i will go in with the final offer... the £xxx amount and removed from the market.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2017 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Forgetthe renting idea

The vendors won't want to be landlords, to get consent from their lender, to pay tax, to be stuck with you as tenants if yours does not sell etc etc etc

If you want this property so much that money is no object, then drop the price on yours to ensure it sells fast, and offer the asking price on the one you want.
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This was similar to us. Saw our perfect house, put ours up for sale with the same agent, luckily it sold quickly but our sale fell through and it took us a fortnight to find another buyer, just before the house we wanted was due to go back on the market.
    We did reduce the price a little, but stated 'offers over'. That way, notifications were sent via Rightmove and we generated some new interest and secured a price we were happy with quickly, so that may be an option.
    In the meantime, de-clutter and re-arrange. We had two viewers say the house was to small, so we cleared out more clutter, packed things away we didn't need, put some larger items away and moved furniture around/took some out to create more space and a better traffic flow through the open plan downstairs space. I think this definitely helped. On viewings, if you have small rooms, make sure you allow viewers to enter and you stay out, or it does start to feel small. Make sure all blinds and curtains are fully open, doors all open and all lights are on.
    Good luck, I hope it all falls into place for you.
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What from you have posted it does not really sound as if you are desperate for that house. You should sell your house first,complete on that transaction, move into rented, and that way you would ensure that you would be in a strong position to make a move as soon as your ideal house cam onto the market. As it stands you are in competition with first time buyers and cash buyers / investors. If I was selling your dream house I would favour those two groups rather than a "buyer" whose house has barely even been put onto the market far less being in a proceedable position.
  • toddler9
    toddler9 Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you some very good advice!
    I am well aware that the norm is to sell first then look to buy but life doesn't always work out that way. The house we want to buy has very limited appeal - which is why we thought we could quickly get ours on the market!
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    All of this you have to sell first before buying is total pants, it happens the other way round all the time. different people work to different timescales and have different criteria for accepting offers.

Sounds like you want the house and are willing to make a decent offer.
    Put that offer to the vendor and see what they say, the EA will let them know how proceedable you are or they will ask.
    See what happens and see if they will accept your offer, either outright or with condition that they will keep marketing it looking for a better offer.
    I wouldn't go panicking too much yet on your sale. Your house is obviously priced right and attracting interest and it sounds like you are doing the right things to try and generate a sale, one thing I would say is be careful of removing storage to try to create the illusion of space.
    If your offer is accepted or you need to up it, don't panic too much, if it turns out you can't get enough for your house to buy the other one, whilst it might be disappointing for you and a bit of a nuisance for the vendor you can always pull out of the deal.

As an example we are just about to complete on the purchase of a property with 2 holiday lets and 12 acres of land where we are going to set up a campsite.
    It has taken us nearly 5 years of looking to find the right property in the right location and also had a couple of other deals fall down at the first hurdle. There is no way we could have accepted an offer on our place without having secured somewhere first.
    Wouldn't have even considered selling up and putting the cash in the bank when house prices in our area have risen around 10% year on year over the last 5 years.
    When you are looking for something specific that doesn't come to the market very often the general rules change.
  • Debtslayer
    Debtslayer Posts: 447 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't be dropping price on your house yet, you're getting viewings so it must be priced right and you said properties sell quickly in your area
    Need to stay calm and stop panicking. Put your offer in on the other house with a statement saying your house is on market and you're confident it will sell in X amount of weeks. Vendor may well accept especially if your offer is significantly more than offer they've had
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036:eek: Target MED: 2026 ;)
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124 :money:
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    chappers wrote: »
    All of this you have to sell first before buying is total pants, it happens the other way round all the time. different people work to different timescales and have different criteria for accepting offers.

Sounds like you want the house and are willing to make a decent offer.
    Put that offer to the vendor and see what they say, the EA will let them know how proceedable you are or they will ask.
    See what happens and see if they will accept your offer, either outright or with condition that they will keep marketing it looking for a better offer.
    I wouldn't go panicking too much yet on your sale. Your house is obviously priced right and attracting interest and it sounds like you are doing the right things to try and generate a sale, one thing I would say is be careful of removing storage to try to create the illusion of space.
    If your offer is accepted or you need to up it, don't panic too much, if it turns out you can't get enough for your house to buy the other one, whilst it might be disappointing for you and a bit of a nuisance for the vendor you can always pull out of the deal.

As an example we are just about to complete on the purchase of a property with 2 holiday lets and 12 acres of land where we are going to set up a campsite.
    It has taken us nearly 5 years of looking to find the right property in the right location and also had a couple of other deals fall down at the first hurdle. There is no way we could have accepted an offer on our place without having secured somewhere first.
    Wouldn't have even considered selling up and putting the cash in the bank when house prices in our area have risen around 10% year on year over the last 5 years.
    When you are looking for something specific that doesn't come to the market very often the general rules change.

The last two houses I bought we offered before ours was even on the market. With a decent agent who uses a good photographer and presents the house well can get rid of a house at the right price very quickly.

Our last agent was so confident he would sell it within 2 weeks that he gave us a very low commission % (0.9% inc VAT iirc) and no tie in. It took him 5 days to get a price within 2% of asking.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    toddler9 wrote: »
    We live in a popular area and things tend to sell quickly. So far we have had 5 viewings all of which said the house was too small for what they needed.

I talked to the agent about dropping the price of ours – it’s fairly priced considering the competition but I am worried there is quite a lot on the market in the same bracket at the moment. I said about dropping £10k then offering £10k less on the house we wanted to buy. He said have a think about it overnight…

What the viewers who have been round so far are telling you is that the price of your property is currently too high, and they feel they can find better value, and larger, elsewhere.

If you want to sell quickly you need to make the price look attractive. Particularly if you've already seen somewhere you are keen to buy.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    toddler9 wrote: »
    I laid my cards on the table and said what I was willing to pay for the house if ours should sell for close to asking price, and he said he will feed this back to the vendor as it is significantly more than the other people have offered.

Why would you do this when you have yet to establish what you will sell your present property for? Surely this will have a bearing on what you are prepared to pay?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure