PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Good knives?

Options

Comments

• Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, you need to test some out to see how they feel in your hand. I have a set of Global knives DH bought me years ago and I love them, they were right for me.
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love these Ikea knives - they feel really good in my hand iyswim. One shown here:-
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90134953/
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Christmas pressie this year was a set of Scanpan classic knives. I'd repeat the idea though that it's important for you to hold them first, the feel and balance of a knife in the hand is what makes it a good knife for you. Any knife above a certain price will be sharp enough to do the work, but it needs to be comfortable for you to use.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • empressemma
    Options
    We bought a set if viners kitchen knives just before we got married about 12 years ago, they were in Boyes, I think they were an end of line product. Anyway, we got a set of 5, plus the knife block for £40. There're still just as good and sharp now as when we bought them! So keep an eye on shops such as Boyes for good brands end of line clearence. Or even the viners website has a sale section...
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    we've got some sabatier knives from TK Maxx just before Christmas. They are very good.
  • sophlowe45
    sophlowe45 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    I need to buy new knives, I need a bread knife and a general knife for cutting vegetables and fish, not sure if I need any others.

Can anyone recommend any knives? I want to keep them for a long time.
  • redfragglebiker
    Options
    They are expensive but I would recommend wither Sabatier or Global. MY OH prefers the weight of the Sabatier whilst I find them too heavy and prefer Global knives. They are a lot of money but if you see them as an investment that will last they are worth it. I've had my global knives for over 8 years now and they're still fantastic. One thing I would say is that if you're not confident in sharpening with a steel invest in a good knife sharpener too.
    Everyone has a dark side... apparently mine is called Harold?!? :huh:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sophlowe45 wrote: »
    I need to buy new knives, I need a bread knife and a general knife for cutting vegetables and fish, not sure if I need any others.

Can anyone recommend any knives? I want to keep them for a long time.

I've added your post to our main thread on buying knives where you'll find lots of recommendations.

Pink
  • room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a set of Sabatier knives but I also bought some of these a little while ago from Amazon. They're great - equally as good as my other knives and far cheaper. When I bought them they were £10.50 so might be worth keeping an eye on the price.
  • sophlowe45
    sophlowe45 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you could not find this thread through the search function, hence starting a new one.

Sabatier knives it is then, i have will have a look at some of the other links before ordering too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure