PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I have lost my OS ways, help!

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 August 2014 at 5:57PM
    Options
    Hello,

Updating for the day as I am planning to not use the iPad this evening.

Ok, first things first, the ironing mountain is still intact, how surprising is that! No, really, I did so many other things so the ironing went down the list. As usual.

It was a spendy day as after bootcamp and dish washing in the kitchen sink!, DS and I went to do a shopping. Spent nearly £40, this includes £4 for a stainless steel dish drainer (how exciting, my first purchase for the new kitchen!). What tipped the shopping towards the "expensive" mark was the purchase of 2 bags of wasabi peanuts, a set of bagged stir fry veg, noodles and sauce, fresh orange juice carton and frozen blueberries. These are all DS choices. Normally I would try and curb his more adventurous choices when shopping together, but has recently given up smoking and I am very proud of him. So, a few extra bits and a carton of fancy orange juice for his smoothies are absolutely fine.

I also bought myself a late birthday present (from DH, he tried to get it for me but did not find it in stock still the time), a lovely stainless steel bottle with bamboo top. Expensive but a really wanted and needed item, I shall be carrying water with me and not need to use plastic cups whenever I am thirsty out of the house.

Also included in the shopping was a packet of cakes for the old Indian lady who feeds us all the time. Her daughter in law, who lives next door, has gone away with the kids for a couple of days, so I popped in to see she was ok, have a cup of tea, give her back her bowl and give her the cakes.

New neighbours are coming both sides of our house, on our left a young Indian couple with a newborn baby, on our right (I am told) another Indian family. We will be the only non-Indians in the terrace! My old lady friend is really curious about the new neighbours and keeps asking me, but I don't know much about them, neither of the families has moved in yet. I met the young couple and they seem very nice.

Dinner cooking time. DS is having his stir fry so I shall make some fridge mishmash for DH and myself. Not sure what yet, but I think I have a few veg in need of using.

Good night.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry to spoil the party but I enjoy ironing. I set up in the conservatory, enjoy watching the birds in my gardening whilst listening to the radio. Doors shut no family allowed. Time seems to fly by. And no I haven't lost my marbles.x
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    amber03 wrote: »
    Sorry to spoil the party but I enjoy ironing. I set up in the conservatory, enjoy watching the birds in my gardening whilst listening to the radio. Doors shut no family allowed. Time seems to fly by. And no I haven't lost my marbles.x

Me too, I do it for a living as well:)

Still meat free, it has saved me a lot of money this week!
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    I've been dipping in and out of the 'Preparing for Winter' thread and this has prompted me to start thinking about how we can prepare our house. Draught proofing is a must and I need to re-hang the door curtain by the front door. I also need to pick up some of those draught excluders which go at the bottom of doors. The longer we can keep the heat off the better really.
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was feeling a bit down yesterday, sick of being under the weather,:( so have decided to give my diet an overhaul, redo my meal plan and shopping list for this morning. DH has asked to do another 3 day juice diet so apart from very expensive coconut water:eek: it shouldn't add too much to my bill. I am concentrating on soups, fresh fruit and veggie main courses which should use up some of stash of tinned lentils, beans and tomatoes.

I picked up my GF prescription yesterday (flour mix) so may dust off the bread maker and make a loaf. I find cutting it difficult so may see if I can pick up a basic electric knife.

DH is at work this morning and DS was at DMIL overnight and will be picked up at 5 so I am going to finish the sort out of DS toy box that I began yesterday afternoon. Some to charity, some in the recycling and some just need all the parts putting together. I will also make curry for tea, wash DH work shirts, take up DS school trousers and have a good vacuum.

Have a great day everyone:)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello:D I've been steadily doing bits of old style between work and going out etc during the week but it's usually the weekend where I put into action some of the ideas I've had during the week.
    The small person has had a huge turn out of clothes once again:eek: Despite a frugal upbringing he's a current teen spendthrift. I suppose I should be grateful for that at least he thinks to put them out for charity. Anyway I have rootled through and nabbed some of his tshirts for when I go running [call that slogging] and in turn will put some of my disgraceful ones into the recycling bank.
    More plums stewed today and I've made a start on a real corner scrubbing type clean on the kitchen [it's usually reasonable] and over the next couple of days I shall tackle the cupboards again. The plan is [my plans change all the time] is to make a list of all those ingredients that I move around them and do some internet research to find ways of using them.
    Limoncello for Christmas pressies started today. Vodka bought with vouchers from Mr T. Starting as I mean to go on I've found a recipe for a lemon jam that will use up the peeled lemons its left me with.

Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Caterina
    edited 30 August 2014 at 10:31PM
    Options
    Good evening,

Amber03 and Northwest 1965, in spite of the evidence pointing to the contrary, I do not hate ironing, but I was used to doing it in my spacious kitchen. At the moment I can only do it in my bedroom, the only space I have, but still cluttered with kitchen chairs and boxes etc. not a pleasure! It can wait, DH has about a million shirts!

XSpender I hope you feel better today. x

Today was a super spend day, we didn't actually spend it today but we ordered all the drawers and ironmongery to go into the kitchen cabinets. Beautiful, really strong and well made stuff, but eye-wateringly expensive. I shall pay on Monday when they confirm the order with the manufacturer. Hopefully this stuff will last us a lifetime.

Underspent on the entertainment budget (£15 of the £20 planned), including lunch for 2 and homemade cake at a local community festival, and hot drinks.

Then I blew it by falling in love, utterly and absolutely, with the most gorgeous woolen coat on a vintage stall at the festival. Immaculate condition, handwoven blue Harris Tweed, fits me perfectly, asking price £30. I asked her to keep it for half hour, went to the cash point, got £20 out, came back and told her I was having kittens thinking yes no yes no, as I was blowing my budget, and would she let me have it for £25? She said yes and we both got happy, her with the cash and me with the coat from my dreams. Which incidentally is a super bargainous bargain for what it is! If I had got it from one of the fancy vintage stores I would not have seen change from £60 I am sure. And I shall love wearing it!

I agreed with DH that the next 2 days are going to be NSD and then on Tues I work (accounts) for a couple of hours, which will have just about paid for my lovely coat.

Good night.
  • Caterina
    Options
    Good morning,

What a splendid sunny day to have a NSD! I was fussing and stressing about no butter in the fridge, then remembered I still have a little bit of marg, not ideal and I won't use it, but DH and DS might want it spread on toast. I will have a smearing of peanut butter on mine, lovely with marmite (I know, not everyone's cup of tea hehehe).

Today DH is painting and fussing in the kitchen, hopefully DS will help. I need to visit two elderly friends, one is the Indian lady two doors down, just need to check she is ok. The other is my Italian friend, she needs to go to hospital for a minor op soon and would like me to go with her. Yesterday she left me a garbled message about a letter she received from the NHS and sounded very agitated. So I called and told her I shall visit and sort out whatever needs doing. I look forward to visiting her especially, stepping into her home is like stepping into Little Italy, it feels so like, well, home! And she is great fun, in spite of her being 82 I do not feel the difference of age at all.

Food will be whatever is in fridge and cupboard, but I am really looking forward to a nice mushroom omelette for breakfast, as we stocked up on mushrooms the other day (3 for 2 of the organic stuff in sains, what's not to like, and at £1 each it worked out cheaper than buying loose non organic!).

Allotment and ironing also pop up in my mind, see how far I go.

Have a good OS day.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Cattie, tell me what an Italian kitchen is like?How is it different? I like other people's kitchens :)
  • Caterina
    Options
    Hi Mardatha,

Her kitchen looks like a regular UK kitchen, not much to indicate that she is Italian (apart from inordinate amounts of tomatoes in bowls), but her living room and dining room are soooo Italian! Not sure what makes them so, other than the furniture (quite ornate, dark wood) and the ornaments, pictures on the wall etc.

It is more an atmosphere than anything physical, it is so lovely! We had a nice time, a good laugh, a few cups of tea and taralli (savoury baked biscuits), then after the washing machine was done I drove her here to see the progress on the kitchen, and drove her back. She is quite lonely since her second son moved out (again - he had married, divorced, gone back to Mamma and now is living with a new girlfriend), so I really like going to see her.

Sorry I cannot give you any better description!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure