London Baby!!!

Options

Comments

• BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh, where? Sounds like where I live!

Well there are probably hundreds of towns that fit this description bordering the M25 all around London.

Mine was in North-West Kent which had a monocultural 99.9% white population, largely working class, high social housing, high number of settled gypsies, lots of National Front graffiti.

It had a comprehensive school where you were lucky to leave being able to read and write (stats showed that originally only 12% of pupils gained 5 GCSEs which over a couple of decades limped up to 22% then finally to 31% (though only 20% gained them in both maths and english). The national average has always been around twice what the school managed. The Grammar schools surrounding it have a 99% pass rate.

I think my school was turned into some kind of 'technical college' teaching hairdressing and car mechanics and then into an 'academy' which has finally achieved results approaching the national average, some 30 years after they were introduced. That's how terrible it was - 3 decades just to achieve average academic results which are still more than 40% less than the local Grammars have achieved from the off.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A few months ago, we had a couple of Northerners move into our road (mid 50's, from Blackpool), and on the day they moved in, they started to moan about Southerners and they haven't stopped since, thereby alienating about 25 people in one go....:eek:

God knows why they came South, but they are not making life easy for themselves with that stroppy attitude. :wall:

The South often doesn't 'get' the North but we are generally ok with everyone!

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Anatidaephobia
    Options
    Not a London thing, nor a North/South divide, but I've witnessed this sort of thing so many times from people who move somewhere, decide it's wonderful then, for some reason, start judging everybody who didn't make exactly the same decision that they did.

People who move out to the country, people who move out of Scotland, people who move south, people who move north, they all come back and say the same thing: it's amazing, why doesn't everyone do this, you need to open your minds up and go somewhere different, what are you thinking by not copying them and doing the same thing?! Ultimately they're either trying to justify what they've done and make it sound it's best - or they completely lack any insight that different people make different choices and just because their choice has worked out wonderfully for them does not mean we should all do the same thing.

I know a few people who went travelling in Australia and they all came back and said similar things too - what's wrong with us wanting to live somewhere so cold, and why are we still here when Australia is right there waiting for us, etc etc.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I lived in London and my brother lived in a depressed ex-mining/steel works town in Yorkshire, he tried to sell me his vision of cheap bear and cheap housing and kept focussing on the differences between the cost of living in these two locations.

One day, I recall he swept his hand up a bleak street of two up/two down terraced houses with barely a car parked there saying 'You could live like a king on 12 grand'. I don't doubt it but I half expected tumbleweed to cross my path. There's no employment in the area, its a very deprived area but I do admire the close family ties and pride in the community that I see in my inlaws.

He's happy to live where he is, I'm happy to live where I am, we just need different things. He's obsessed with cheap beer and curries but I don't want to live on a council housing estate on the periphery of a town. I like to live in a city that has an art house cinema and lots of museums and galleries.
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    Skinto_7 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

spending his ginger bottles on sweets at the local shop!!![/FONT][/SIZE]

Ok rant over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might have to explain this quote for the non weegies! :rotfl::rotfl:

I moved around a lot as a child so don't have a particular affinity with any area. However, went out with some schoolmates on Saturday night (having not seen two of them for 40 years) and it was lovely. I knew a few people in the pub, and people came to chat and catch up. One chap saw on Facebook we were in the local so he stopped by. Wonderful (although not sure I'd like to do it every Saturday night!)

I think sometimes we over rate travel and under rate community.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Skinto_7 wrote: »
    Agree Fivetide, i gave him a slagging when he started his lager
    Critique, apparently he only drinks french and belguin lager now!! Was like sitting with a different guy from the the mate id grew up with!!

French and Belgian lager? *shudders*

You should tell him that us "proper" Londoners will only drink beer from our local microbrewery ;)

http://www.londonbrewers.org/

(Saying that, my husband is a born and bred Londoner and he prefers Budweiser....the philistine! :rotfl:)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2014 at 8:04PM
    Options
    aileth wrote: »
    I find a lot of southeners generally think people 'oop north are inferior, so doesn't surprise me really.

I am a southerner and don't think this way about people from oop north. My experience is that they are far nicer and more genuine people than most of those I know darn sarf :)
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • Air_Cooled_75
    Air_Cooled_75 Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    I'm from a town in the NW, my parents are from London but one set of grandparents from Liverpool.

Moved to Reading with jobs then moved to Sheffield. Seemed the best thing to do at the time, closer to family etc. but even my alleged 'southern-phobe' husband misses it.

IDK, I loved being able to pop on the train or drive to somewhere we could park for free and get the tube in. Plus I could visit my grandparents (now both gone) more than ever before.

Now I have a LO I'd love to be taking him to the museums.

I'd never move back to where I'm from. I'd don't think I'd want to live in London but I did like being close to it :)
  • Pthree
    Pthree Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    As someone from a small Cumbrian town who now lives in London I see this from the other way, people back home seem to think I live like Carrie Bradshaw or Bridget Jones, out in wine bars all the time, going to gallery openings etc.

In reality I am usually sat at home in my PJ's looking at their Facebook posts and being really p*ssed off that they can have a decent night out on £20 while that here it wouldn't cover a taxi fare one way!

I cant even remember the last night out that I had :eek:
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    tbh - isn't that type of person the one who thought they were too 'good' for their hometown even before they left? I have known people like this and quite honestly, they were PITA with their 'big ideas'. just treat them with the contempt they deserve.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure