PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Moday 1st October 2012

Options

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Molly

DH now fed so quite happy and making him a quick cup of tea.

Have you thought of making beef tea? Ask local butcher for beef bones to make stock ( might be tactful to buy something else at the time). Some butchers sell them very cheaply or give them away. Red meat does not have to be expensive to give you the benefit of iron. Something like brisket gives a lovely rich gravy when slow cooked and can be stretched out with mash, onions and carrots etc.

Hug to uolypool and hope your eye gets better.

Judi and nmlc

Am :mad: on your behalf. If nothing you do is enough I would be tempted to do nothing and draw a line under what you feel is reasonable. Maybe DH is sulking because Judi is letting grey grow out because it reminds him HE is getting older ( was going to say more mature but does not sound the case).

hilstep

Hope new water tablets work and you get better soon.

Miffed because the package DH collected from sorting office and paid over a pound for was not something anybody actually wanted so a waste of time and money.

Going to nip to shop later for the juice drink dd in hospital likes as I want to encourage her fluid uptake. Still no firm diagnosis as to what is causing the blood clots in her kidneys but am telling myself that no news is good news.

hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 October 2012 at 1:23PM
    Options
    Elona you sound very clued up on sources of nutrients - any idea what a vegetarian who hates green leafy stuff can do for extra iron? Or anyone else, if you've any thoughts, all ideas gratefully received.:o

ETA to clarify, this isn't a request for medical advice, but a request for food ideas.;) It's surprising, but people often don't appreciate that vegetarians can dislike certain vegetables (I loathe brassicas and beetroot - ugh!) just the same as meat-eaters can dislike some types of meat products.:D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • nlj1520
    nlj1520 Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon, had a weekend at OH's and had a lovely day out to Snowshill Manor on Saturday, watched some excelent RUgby and got a load of paper rubbish burnt.
    Meeting with the co-ordinator in charge of my son's care this morning (all fine) and then food shopping, physio/gym, just had some lunch (salad) and about to start work.
    Evening meal will be stir fry (eat loads of these as they are infinitely variable).
    Have unearthed some spiced coasters in my rubbish room and want to have a go at making my own. In the smell I recognise cinamon, nutmeg and cloves. anyone have any suggestions for addding anything else? Looked online but don't want to copy other people's 'recipes' direct. Thanks.
    'Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.' T S Eliot
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Had a busy morning as I had a dentist appointment to check on the tooth they removed this week. No car at the moment for me so set off on the 45 mins walk there and 45 mins back. Luckily the rain held off but I am exhausted. A couple of buses passed me and I was tempted but managed not to give in, just kept thinking about weigh in:D
    Tea tonight will be pork chops, going to have a quick look on the Internet to see if I can find a marinade to make them a bit more exciting. Will serve them with rice and veg.
    Have also promised hubby a cherry cake so will do that in a sec. If I can just get my legs moving. I am ok when I am actually walking, it's when I stop that the trouble starts.
    Sunshine and showers here today but no washing to do as it was all done at the weekend.
    I do need to wash DS bedding but that can wait a day or two.
    Need to catch up with Downton tonight as hubby had the golf on last night. It was very exciting, well done Europe. Anyway enough waffle will pop back later J x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Elona thanks for the suggestions. Im not a big fan of meat and am eating it atm for medicinal purposes only. I couldnt eat offal but will think about beef tea.
    Lamewolf - pumpkin seeds are high in iron so you could sprinkle those over and thyme but there may be health implications so go steady and check out your drugs.

x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone

NMLC & Judi - husbands can be completely useless at times:( (((hugs)))

Had a funny day today, woke with no energy or motivation at all - maybe its the weather. Have just pottered around doing not very much at all. Hate days like this. Oh well there is always tomorrow.

Pork loin chops for dinner with potatoes, mushrooms and corn on the cob.

x
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LameWolf

I did a quick google and top iron rich non meat foods seem to be dried herbs especially thyme and parsley.

Cocoa powder and dark chocolate.

Clams, oysters, mussels.

Roasted pumpkin seeds.

Sesame butter (tahini)

Sun dried tomatoes.

Sunflower seeds.

Dried apricots.

It is an American site that I used but there is also a British one giving the top ten iron rich foods.

When one of dds seemed aenaemic I forced little sachets of Spatone water down her and that seemed to help.

AF were doing good offers on seeds, nuts and dried fruit recently so might be worth a look.

Going to move my lazy butt to local supermarket for drinks for dd before making pies for tonight.

Hug to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all

Long time no write... But I have been reading

Hope your all well - whats the goss????

Well, I,ve been slacking, but with Christmas looming thought I,d better get my bum into gear....

I have been 'saving' my nect@r points, and have about £30 worth, so that will buy a couple of bottles of Xmas spririts ;)

I,ve also been chucking odd bits of change into the Xmas tin, so I hope that will add up to a nice joint of meat.

I cannot beleive were the time has gone, the last time I really posted was at the start of the summer hols, well, I survived that, just..... OH nearly gave up on us and was going to leave DD was in full biatch mode in August, luckily I think OH threatening to go shook her up, and although far from perfect, there have been some positive changes, so all the heartache of that time was worth it (i hope).

I,ve had a day off work today, so have cleared all the washing/ironing, have used up leftover lamb to make shaperd,s pie and cooked a 3 for £10 chicken and made chicken and veg pie, plus have loads for a curry this week, 3 out of 5 weekday meals sorted, will have gammon steak and cauli chesse another night and a 'fridge clear out' meal for the other.

Work has been manic, all being interviewed for our jobs at the moment, not fun for anyone, and has really shown some people in their true colours - hey ho find out the damage next week.....

Love to all, hope life is as good as it can be

Take care xx
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    When I was pregnant with dd, I had to up my iron, they gave me a long list of things to try, including watercress, spinach, dried apricots and my favourite one Very dark chocolate :D
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Judi I have been wanting to stop dying my hair for ages, but OH and hairdresser won't let me! (I get it done for nothing, so I shouldn't complain!) It would be nice to see how it looks grey though! :)
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure