🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dog got attacked

Options

Comments

• quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd guess it would be a waste of time speaking with the owner if he's already been threatening neighbours.
    Try the dog warden again. Unless the dog is loose/strayibg there isn't much they can do other than advise. But the warden should follow it up. I had a guide dog puppy who was attacked whilst out and I pushed it as much as I could but the most the DW could do was pay a visit. She told me to keep her number and if I saw the dog straying again to call and she'd pick the dog up asap.
    Depressing really.
    Hope your woofer is better soon. Bonz had to have antibiotics after her bites.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    con1888 wrote: »
    Poor dog, I hate when people let their dogs roam the street, used to happen a lot when I was a kid but don't see it as much now.

I would definately try speaking to it's owner and tell him you are going to be reporting it.

Thanks con and dibuzz. The owner's just a total scumbag and the neighbours avoid him like the plague.

At best, I'd be told to F*ck off. At worst, he'd make my whole life a misery. There's no way he'd be remotely interested that my dog got hurt.

When he allows the dog to roam the alley, he couldn't care less that kids often leave the gate open and the dog gets out into the street. It's a huge powerful creature and incredibly aggressive - I suppose Lucy got off lightly really.

It looks like the Akita bit into the muscle of her back leg - not too deeply, but obviously painful for Lucy, and she's limping now.

I know it's illegal, but I feel like carrying a stick when I take her out now in case the damn dog comes at her again.
  • quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dogs are said to dislike lemon eucalyptus oil, you can carry a spray bottle either the smell upsets them or spray it directly at the attack dog and it should stop him in his tracks.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear Lucy got bitten, from personal experience the bruising is far more painful than the actual wound and will take a few days to get over.

PLEASE report this to you LA dog warden tomorrow, when this dog gets out again he could do even more damage to the next dog.
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sagz wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear Lucy got bitten, from personal experience the bruising is far more painful than the actual wound and will take a few days to get over.

PLEASE report this to you LA dog warden tomorrow, when this dog gets out again he could do even more damage to the next dog.

I can vouch for the bruising being worse. Last year when a lurcher bit my lab cross and wouldn't let go (my dog was screaming) I had to rive its jaws open to get it off.

Of course it bit me and I knew that it would but I couldn't just stand by and watch my best pal be picked on like that. Anyway it was very hard to use my hand for a few days because of the bruising.

I think it must have been the adrelin but at the time it seemed so easy to force the dogs jaws open. I would do it again without hesitation, although if there is a next time I may well try a few kicks first.

Hope Lucy gets better soon.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • zaksmum
    Options
    I can vouch for the bruising being worse. Last year when a lurcher bit my lab cross and wouldn't let go (my dog was screaming) I had to rive its jaws open to get it off.

Of course it bit me and I knew that it would but I couldn't just stand by and watch my best pal be picked on like that. Anyway it was very hard to use my hand for a few days because of the bruising.

I think it must have been the adrelin but at the time it seemed so easy to force the dogs jaws open. I would do it again without hesitation, although if there is a next time I may well try a few kicks first.

Hope Lucy gets better soon.

Oh, how awful! It's so horrible to hear your dog screaming like that! I really had the worst case scenario going through my mind in the seconds before Jack went for the Akita and chased him away. I thought it'd ripped her throat out - I was totally panicking.

She just lay on the ground shivering (the shock, probably) I was so relieved when she got up again.

I will definitely call the Dog Warden tomorrow.

Quietheart, where can I get lemon eucalyptus oil?
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Options
    One deterrent you might like to try is the Pet Corrector. The idea is that you acclimatise your dog to the noise by introducing it slowly with lots of high value treats, and then carry one around with you to use on strange dogs in emergencies - assuming they haven't been desensitized to the noise themselves, it's usually enough to spook them off.
  • zaksmum
    Options
    krlyr wrote: »
    One deterrent you might like to try is the Pet Corrector. The idea is that you acclimatise your dog to the noise by introducing it slowly with lots of high value treats, and then carry one around with you to use on strange dogs in emergencies - assuming they haven't been desensitized to the noise themselves, it's usually enough to spook them off.

Sounds interesting. Where can I get one of those?
  • dawnie1972
    dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly take photos of your dogs wounds.
    Secondly contact the dog warden tomorrow, they may not do anything but should be able to advise you where you stand legally.
    Thirdly, and am talking from personal experience here, start proceedings again him as a civil claim, you will find the form online, you fill it in, file the claim yourself (used to cost about £30) and he has to pay that if found guilty - stick to your guns as next time it could be more serious or could be a child - my next door neighbours dog attacked mine whilst mine were on lead on a public road, the police werent interested, neither was the dog warden, so i took him to court and they settled out of court (was gutted as wanted me day in court with him), he threatened me but i owed it to my dogs (and other peoples) to persue the matter.
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:
  • zaksmum
    Options
    dawnie1972 wrote: »
    Firstly take photos of your dogs wounds.
    Secondly contact the dog warden tomorrow, they may not do anything but should be able to advise you where you stand legally.
    Thirdly, and am talking from personal experience here, start proceedings again him as a civil claim, you will find the form online, you fill it in, file the claim yourself (used to cost about £30) and he has to pay that if found guilty - stick to your guns as next time it could be more serious or could be a child - my next door neighbours dog attacked mine whilst mine were on lead on a public road, the police werent interested, neither was the dog warden, so i took him to court and they settled out of court (was gutted as wanted me day in court with him), he threatened me but i owed it to my dogs (and other peoples) to persue the matter.

I already rang the dog warden at 9am, waste of time really. He asked if the dog was still on the streets now - I said no, this happened Saturday evening. So he wanted to know if I had got the owner to admit his dog was the attacker. I told him the owner was a very unpleasant person and I was worried about confronting him.

He said I had no proof, then, that this particular Akita was the one who bit Lucy, and as it was no longer on the streets there was nothing he could do.

I'm glad your civil claim had a positive outcome. But I can't risk taking action like that against this man. He's a violent thug that you certainly wouldn't want starting a vendetta against your family.

Fortunately Lucy's not as sore this morning - but I definitely want to find some kind of deterrent for taking the dogs out now.

Even if it is only my walking stick...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family