Any advice for a speeding ticket?

Options

Comments

• Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Just fill in the form with who was driving at the time (reads like it was you), sign it and send it back within the 28 days.
    The most likely outcome will be the offer of a course if the driver is eligible.

The speed awareness course annoys me. It's just seen by most as a minor annoyance. If you passed your driving test, you're already aware of the speed limits and everyone is aware of the dangers of speeding.

The other day on my local radio station, the DJ was joking about having to do his speed awareness course that afternoon. It gave him and his sidekick several minutes of 'hilarious' banter.

I think if you opt for the speed awareness course and get done for speeding a second time, you should get the fine and points from the first offence, too, as you clearly learned nothing.

Speeding is the highest form of arrogant-couldn't-give-a-damn that there is. And most people who speed probably complain about other people speeding through their town/village.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »
    If you passed your driving test, you're already aware of the speed limits ...

Even a brief look at the posts on Pepipoo, and indeed some here, would show that this is far from true.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The speed awareness course annoys me. It's just seen by most as a minor annoyance. If you passed your driving test, you're already aware of the speed limits and everyone is aware of the dangers of speeding.

The other day on my local radio station, the DJ was joking about having to do his speed awareness course that afternoon. It gave him and his sidekick several minutes of 'hilarious' banter.

I think if you opt for the speed awareness course and get done for speeding a second time, you should get the fine and points from the first offence, too, as you clearly learned nothing.

Speeding is the highest form of arrogant-couldn't-give-a-damn that there is. And most people who speed probably complain about other people speeding through their town/village.

I agree, it’s a bit like revesing onto someone’s drive that is no longer there and trying to blame the householder because the driver didn’t check it was a safe thing to do.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That's a pretty good idea... I did a course a few years back and it was a useful refresher and gave me a hint as to how I'd ended up speeding (went from a 40 limit to a 30 limit and missed the transition signs). So if I make the same mistake again, I deserve to be hit with the points and fine. At the very least - no second offer of a course if you've done one in the last 10 years or so?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    I'm glad to see that those cameras actually work. I am sick and tired of people making my journey longer by speeding.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I agree, it’s a bit like revesing onto someone’s drive that is no longer there and trying to blame the householder because the driver didn’t check it was a safe thing to do.

Ouch .

:D
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    Options

Do you want to quantify that statement? Or, do you think doing 80 on a motorway is as bad as doing 40 in a 30?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    :rotfl:Well remembered!
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2018 at 9:08AM
    Options
    uknick wrote: »
    Do you want to quantify that statement? Or, do you think doing 80 on a motorway is as bad as doing 40 in a 30?

Personally, yes I do. The law says the maximum speed for the road is 30/40/60/70 etc., and by going faster, you're saying you know better than the experts who have done the research and deemed that the safest speed for the road.

You're ignoring the safety of everyone else on the road, not to mention the health and wellbeing of people who live near the road or happen to be walking along it. The number of times I hear people moan about the fact a road is 40mph when it could easily be 60mph, but they don't for one second consider the air quality difference for all the people living and sleeping along its length.

There's a stretch of the M1 that drops to 50. There's no obvious roadworks and it's only for a short stretch (I suspect there's a problem with the central reservation). Every day I must be the only person who actually slows to 50 - I'm overtaken by lorries, cars and busses that make no effort to slow. But they all know better. They know that the engineers who know the details of the problem and the reason for the reduced limit are mistaken and going at 80mph+ is absolutely fine.

But when a member of their family is injured/killed by a speeding driver, they'll be all over social media complaining about speeding drivers forgetting that they are just as bad as the speeding driver they're complaining about.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, yes I do. The law says the maximum speed for the road is 30/40/60/70 etc., and by going faster, you're saying you know better than the experts who have done the research and deemed that the safest speed for the road.

You're ignoring the safety of everyone else on the road, not to mention the health and wellbeing of people who live near the road or happen to be walking along it. The number of times I hear people moan about the fact a road is 40mph when it could easily be 60mph, but they don't for one second consider the air quality difference for all the people living and sleeping along its length.

There's a stretch of the M1 that drops to 50. There's no obvious roadworks and it's only for a short stretch (I suspect there's a problem with the central reservation). Every day I must be the only person who actually slows to 50 - I'm overtaken by lorries, cars and busses that make no effort to slow. But they all know better. They know that the engineers who know the details of the problem and the reason for the reduced limit are mistaken and going at 80mph+ is absolutely fine.

But when a member of their family is injured/killed by a speeding driver, they'll be all over social media complaining about speeding drivers forgetting that they are just as bad as the speeding driver they're complaining about.

I agree with you about non motorway speed limits, but I'm not sure the motorway speed limit makes sense these days. It was originally introduced as a 4 month trial in 1965 due to a spate of crashes in fog or because of high speed testing by car manufacturers. And the limit has yet to be lifted.

But, many other countries have higher speed limits on their motorways. So, why are UK drivers considered so unsafe they can only drive at 70 mph whilst other countries have higher limits; 80 in France, 85 in Poland or even unrestricted on certain autobahns in Germany? Also, if the limit is safety based, why can cars do 70 mph on many dual carriage ways that have T junctions, roundabouts etc to negotiate.

Finally, can we take it from your comments you've never exceeded a speed limit, either deliberately or by accident?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure