Healthy Breakfasts

Hi All,
I'm trying to lose weight and I thought breakfast might be a good place to start. I'm looking something filling and healthy that isn't too expensive and it should be quick to make as I don't have much time in the morning. I'm a creature of habit and below is my current breakfast menu but I'm told this is unhealthy :

1. Glass of pure orange.
2. Quaker oats porridge in honey mixed with milk. This comes in sachet format and goes into the microwave for two minutes.
3. Two Spar pancakes with butter and syrup.
4. One instant cup of coffee.

Any recommendations would be great.

Comments

• yllop1101
    yllop1101 Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Heyy,
    Whoever said that was unhealthy is right, have you totalled up the calories and particular how much sugar is probably in that? Particularly from the spar pancakes, OJ and honey. Although some of it is natural sugar, it's still calories.

If you really enjoy your porridge, add some berries and fruit to make it more substantial.

Otherwise, eggs (poached, boiled, scrambled) and wholemeal toast is a really good option- eggs are high in protein and good fats, and the carbohydrates in the toast will help fill you up too. You could add some tomatoes or mushrooms, and a little bit of cheese for flavour.

Scrambling eggs in the microwave takes 2 minutes, probably the same amount of time as porridge!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you want orange then go for a fresh one which has fibre rather than orange juice which is sadly, yet more sugar!
    Better fruit are berries or even a green apple
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I second boiled egg on toast, I cook a couple at night for the morning. Or what about beans on toast.
  • That really is a big breakfast. And actually quite expensive and time consuming!!

My normal breakfast is a mug of tea and a slice of wholemeal toast spread with real butter. Sometimes I'll have cereal instead (muesli with a banana and natural yogurt on it).

Just a question - why does it need to be filling? You don't have to feel full all the time. It's not a feeling that I enjoy.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Get a big bag of porridge oats rather than paying extra to have it put into sachets for you, and add your own honey, fruit and nuts to your porridge each morning. Have enough that you feel full and don't need to have the unhealthy and unfilling pancakes too! Carry a banana in case you get hungry before lunch.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    Hi All,
    I'm trying to lose weight and I thought breakfast might be a good place to start. I'm looking something filling and healthy that isn't too expensive and it should be quick to make as I don't have much time in the morning. I'm a creature of habit and below is my current breakfast menu but I'm told this is unhealthy :

1. Glass of pure sugar.
    2. Quaker oats porridge in sugar mixed with milk. This comes in sachet format and goes into the microwave for two minutes.
    3. Two Spar pancakes with butter and sugar.
    4. One instant cup of coffee. With sugar?

Any recommendations would be great.

Cut down on the sugar!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite

Just a question - why does it need to be filling? You don't have to feel full all the time. It's not a feeling that I enjoy.

That is a good point actually ;):) How long is it before you can eat again? If you are out at work how long before tea break? I have my breakfast at 7.30 when I get to work. (start at 8.00) then tea break at 10.30 by which time I am hungry again I will admit.

Weekend (and annual leave like now) is different of course and I can scoff as often as I want :rotfl:
  • Get a big bag of porridge oats rather than paying extra to have it put into sachets for you, and add your own honey, fruit and nuts to your porridge each morning. Have enough that you feel full and don't need to have the unhealthy and unfilling pancakes too! Carry a banana in case you get hungry before lunch.

you could measure out the portion of oats in the evening as well as the milk so all you have to do is mix the two together in a bowl and then microwave as normal.

I personally am following SW and have 40g of shreddies with a yogurt and fruit mixed in. Again weigh the cereal the night before and, for cost, I defrost a portion of fruit overnight. Keeps me going until lunch time.

The other thing I would look at is your portion size.
  • I suppose an immediate easy win would be to have a glass of water instead of the pure orange juice.

My coffee does not have any sugar in it.

In terms of quantity, "filling" maybe the wrong word, I like something to keep me going until my tea break at 10:30.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I suppose an immediate easy win would be to have a glass of water instead of the pure orange juice.

My coffee does not have any sugar in it.

In terms of quantity, "filling" maybe the wrong word, I like something to keep me going until my tea break at 10:30.

That would keep me going all day till dinner tbh, but that's just me

As others have said, that's a pure sugar/carb fest, short term filler upper, starving again two hours later. What do you eat at 10:30?

Swap the sugars for protein. An egg is good.

Normal cheap unadulterated porridge oats take the same time to cook in the microwave as those sachets. Add fruits instead of the honey. A banana with some nuts is nice as well

My favourite breakfast isn't cheap, but only takes a few minutes , is kippers, either in a bag or a tin. 2 mins in the micro and done. Add some bread and butter and there's no eating again till lunchtime
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure