Lloyds Bank Overdraft Charges -Charged £6 usage fee

2»

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Anthorn those details on December statement aren't November charges as November was the start of the daily charges. Therefore the daily fees you were paying throughout November was the current fees. The lump sump that went out at beginning of December was definitely October's charges
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    From a version of the old account T&Cs...So they work out October's charges at the end of the first working day of November, then tell you what they are and when they'll take 'em...which is a month later at the end of the first working day in December.

So they are, in effect, 2 months in arrears.

Agree now?...or still think you're a special case? ;)

No. October's charges are added to the November statement on the first working day of November. I believe that people are confused over the payment due date relationship to the statement date. On my accounts the due date is the first working day of the following month. In my case statement date 8th November containing October transactions and charges due to be paid on 4th December. Then the December statement will detail November transactions and charges due to be paid on the first working day of January.

As I've already said, if October charges appear on the December statement Lloyds would be charging 2 months in arrears which they don't do.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2017 at 11:12PM
    Anthorn wrote: »
    No. October's charges are added to the November statement on the first working day of November.
    I'll have one more go. You say they debited the October billing period charges at the end of the first working day of November.

Lloyds say (in my quote above) they will work them out at the end of the monthly billing period (which in their speak is the end of the first working day of the month).

They go on to say they'll "always let you know the amount before they are taken".

Now ask yourself this....if they were to take them on the second working day of the month (in effect at the end of the first working day), just how much notice are they giving you?...to the nearest milli-second please.
    I believe that people are confused
    You appear to be in a minority of one. If I was in that position I'd be doubting myself. :)
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'll have one more go. You say they debited the October billing period charges at the end of the first working day of November.

Lloyds say (in my quote above) they will work them out at the end of the monthly billing period (which in their speak is the end of the first working day of the month).

They go on to say they'll "always let you know the amount before they are taken".

Now ask yourself this....if they were to take them on the second working day of the month (in effect at the end of the first working day), just how much notice are they giving you?...to the nearest milli-second please.You appear to be in a minority of one. If I was in that position I'd be doubting myself. :)

Exactly. They work them out at the end of the billing cycle and add them to the next statement which is then paid during the next month after that. As per the example of my accounts I posted. Therefore October charges added to the November statement which is paid in December. November charges added to the December statement which is paid in January.

Now I'm just repeating myself!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2017 at 11:31PM
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Exactly. They work them out at the end of the billing cycle and add them to the next statement which is then paid during the next month after that. As per the example of my accounts I posted. Therefore October charges added to the November statement which is paid in December. November charges added to the December statement which is paid in January.

Now I'm just repeating myself!
    You're not actually. You said something completely different in post #3 above. EDIT: And also post #6, where you also confused statement period with billing period but we'll let that one go!

The OP said he'd been charged a lump sum of debit interest and an overdraft usage fee at the start of December. People here said that they were catch up/close off fees for October/November billing period (which closed off at the end of the first working day of November, with the charges being notified on the November statement for collection in early December) under the old T&Cs. You disagreed and said they'd been overcharged.

I'm out.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    OP - if you look at the bottom of your paper statement or your charges notification in your digital inbox on Internet banking it will tell you the charging period you have been charged and also the date they will be debited.

If you receive notifications online I would say it landed in your inbox around the 6th or 7th November.

This will give you some clarity and understanding before you go to the branch on Monday.

HTH
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    OP its has been answered LBG OD fees are charged 2 months behind.

So 1st December was for the OD used in October before the new daily charges were introduced.

OD used to be calculated 2nd working day of one month to the first of the next month, then they notify you what the fee will be and takes it on the 1st of the next month.

As others have said this is the last month that shows the cross over and from 1st January you will just pay the daily fees.

I am going to close this thread as your question has been answered. Whether you want to agree or not, if you think you have a special account that is different to everyone else. It wont change the answer to your question.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing