Welsh water credit report

Out of the blue i have been told by Welsh Water that credit report is effected negatively when you dont pay the entire annual bill in April and even though i pay by direct debit and on time never missed a payment- is this true!!

Comments

• Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Shouldn’t think so. I pay mine monthly by dd and Experian gave me 999, a gold star and told me I could have all the credit I desired.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    MWhite wrote: »
    Out of the blue i have been told by Welsh Water that credit report is effected negatively when you dont pay the entire annual bill in April and even though i pay by direct debit and on time never missed a payment- is this true!!

One approach here would be to ask Welsh Water on what basis they are sending your account details to the CRAs at all. You will not have consented to them doing so (there are no terms and conditions on domestic water supplies), so it seems reasonable that you could tell them to stop.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 October 2017 at 9:19PM
    It reports the outstanding balance decreasing each month with green ticks for every month it's paid on time.

This page tells you how they use and share information
    http://www.dwrcymru.com/en/Company-Information/Data-Protection.aspx

ETA - They report to Experian so if you sign up to MSE Credit Club you will be able to see what exactly is recorded on your report.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • MWhite_2
    MWhite_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    It doesnt explicitly state that if you don't pay in full it will negatively impact score just if you ae in debt. Which im not as i pay on time every month
  • MWhite_2
    MWhite_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Unfortunately they do not need consent however i shouldnt have to worry cause im not in debt however it has negatively impacted my score although i have never been in debt , i have started proceeding to get tgis resolved:

"Welsh Water and Experian comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 at all times. The sharing of your information with Credit Reference Agencies does not require your consent. Data is shared to help Welsh Water to collect debt. It also helps other organisations in the scheme to prevent bad or unpaid debt, prevent fraud and money laundering and to promote responsible lending"
  • tenchy
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    It reports the outstanding balance decreasing each month with green ticks for every month it's paid on time.

This page tells you how they use and share information
    http://www.dwrcymru.com/en/Company-Information/Data-Protection.aspx

ETA - They report to Experian so if you sign up to MSE Credit Club you will be able to see what exactly is recorded on your report.

It is an interesting document, which I expect is replicated at all the other water companies. It confirms what I suspected, that these companies don't even need consent to carry out hard searches. This rather drives a coach and horses through the whole idea of consent, which is often mentioned by the CRAs. They pride themselves on a system whereby you must give your consent - except it seems you don't have to. It is quite extraordinary.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Nobody pays their water bill in one go once a year. Don’t worry
  • tenchy
    Yes but... if a £1000 debt appears on your report in April and you're applying for a mortgage what might the BS make of it? You know they're bending over backwards these days to refuse mortgages, so this sort of thing could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
  • tenchy wrote: »
    It is an interesting document, which I expect is replicated at all the other water companies. It confirms what I suspected, that these companies don't even need consent to carry out hard searches. This rather drives a coach and horses through the whole idea of consent, which is often mentioned by the CRAs. They pride themselves on a system whereby you must give your consent - except it seems you don't have to. It is quite extraordinary.

Anglian water started reporting to CRAs a couple of years back
  • MWhite wrote: »

No, it's rubbish. Regular payments made to a normal direct debit plan should not adversely affect your credit file
    Shouldn’t think so. I pay mine monthly by dd and Experian gave me 999, a gold star and told me I could have all the credit I desired.

But the score is something that lenders never see. Only you and experian see it.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure